Verizon to release Major Software Update

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
AND, the update has disabled the ability to make a widget for the Blocking Mode activity using QuickSortcutMaker. The update deleted the widget I had set up and when I tried to recreate the widget it crashes. No more blocking mode. And I used that every night to block everything but my kids from reaching me while I slept. Not happy here.

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How can I disable the "Caller Name ID" app if I'm not rooted? I can only see the option to stop it, and it restarts fairly soon after.

I'm also not happy about losing blocking mode. :-(

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
How can I disable the "Caller Name ID" app if I'm not rooted? I can only see the option to stop it, and it restarts fairly soon after.(

Settings > Application Manager > scroll over to ALL > scroll down to Caller Name ID and hit disable. All of your disabled apps will then be located in alphabetical order after the last app that you have running if you ever need to enable it again.

kpate96

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my S3 and now I barely get a 4G signal (or 3G ) where I used to get a good signal. My phone now keeps showing 1X.
Also I noticed that when I look at the APN list there is only one APN listed now. There used to be a full screen....

Not sure what the fix is, but so far this updated hasn't impressed me. I am holding off running the upgrade on my wife's S3 until this is fixed.

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
It erased my blocking mode too, I wish they would of gave us this as part of the upgrade. It was used to block all sounds but the ringer at night. Any ideas on how to fix this isue now??

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I got an email from Verizon early this morning with the unsettling and ambiguous message:

Your feature(s) and/or promotions change request for wireless number ending in -*** is now complete.

After looking at my account info online, I have no idea exactly what this new feature was that I "requested". My best guess is that this is the new feature: "CALLER NAME ID FREE TRIAL".

I remember opening that Caller Name ID app yesterday after this update but I closed it w/o configuring it and disabled it so it wouldn't appear in my app drawer. I hope this free trial expires gracefully and doesn't auto-renew at my expense next month.

Talk about lame...

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I got an email from Verizon early this morning with the unsettling and ambiguous message:

After looking at my account info online, I have no idea exactly what this new feature was that I "requested". My best guess is that this is the new feature: "CALLER NAME ID FREE TRIAL".

I remember opening that Caller Name ID app yesterday after this update but I closed it w/o configuring it and disabled it so it wouldn't appear in my app drawer. I hope this free trial expires gracefully and doesn't auto-renew at my expense next month.

Talk about lame...

I got the same thing this morning and looked all through my account but did not see the change. I'll go ahead and disable the Caller Name ID app and hope for the same...

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Talk about lame...

I just hung up with them because of the same thing. It is the caller name id feature & it will not expire. They will start charging you 2.99/month after the trial, which I think he said was 15 days. Yet another sneaky/sleazy tactic by our "friends" at VZW.

Sent from T4b on my N2

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice a difference in battery drain? I feel my phone loses charge faster now, much faster.
Posted via Android Central App

My phone was down to 80% this morning, it's usually at 94 to 95 as I unplug mine when I go to bed. I've disabled the Caller ID and Flipboard and rebooted. Will see how it goes today.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Like some of the posters here, I too got the email from Verizon stating that a feature has changed and for the life of me I don't recall changing any features and the email doesn't say what was changed. After reading a few posts I am going to assume that I triggered the change when I clicked on the new CALLER ID app to see what it was all about, never configured it or read any mention of a free trial period. Verizon is trying to sneak this in on us like the CITY ID feature that they had awhile back. I went to MY VERIZON and noticed that CALLER ID was now a free feature with no mention of a trial period so I chose to remove it and will be disabling the app on my phone.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If you open the caller id app you can stop the trial. After you stop it you can actually un-install it from inside the program.

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
If you open the caller id app you can stop the trial. After you stop it you can actually un-install it from inside the program.

how do you open the caller id app to stop it and uninstall it? I had the 4g and wifi running at the same time and disabled it, but do not want to get charged for caller id after the free trial is up.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
CALLER NAME ID can be deleted from within the app. I opened it and went to account and stopped the free trial then opened it again and went to account or settings ( can't remember now ) and there is a option to delete the app from the phone.

A restart of your phone may be required after deletion because I noticed the app started running again even though it was deleted from the app tray and the ALL APPS list.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22