Blocking mode after new Verizon update

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Like most others who had a shortcut made for blocking mode, after the new update rolled out it was disabled (NOT HAPPY). My issue is it still shows in my task bar on top of the screen. My question is how do I remove it. I have swiped down on my main screen to get to the screen that has ONGOING and NOTIFICATIONS. From there I have long pressed on blocking mode bringing up app info, I hit disable and it clears from the task bar, only to reappear after a minute. It still has my LED disabled for notifications as if it was working but I can not access it. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Or any way to fix blocking mode so it works again? Thank you in advance.

firedog1247

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I can no longer access the blocking mode settings thanks to the latest and greatest update from Verizon! It still shows in the Notification area but the link no longer works and I dont know how to get rid of it. Even went back and downloaded QuickShortcutMaker and tried to do a search for blocking mode in the App and it just keeps crashing. It looks like Verizon stripped it out completely now! Anyone got any ideas?

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just realized this. I like using blocked mode and what in the world does Verizon have against us getting some sleep without notification sounds and led flashes? I am rather disappointed in this change. When i click on my shortcut it says app is not installed.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It is probably a bug and wasn't intentional. Samsung would never allowed that kind of change to the base of touchwiz. If it wasn't accidental then it is because Verizon is getting ready to offer us a premium service to do the same thing at a monthly cost.

Posted via Android Central App

firedog1247

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I believe before the update you could access it through a "walk around", Verizon had already removed Blocking Mode from the Settings menu because they offered a service for $2.99 that they wanted us to use. But now it looks like they completely stripped it from the phone itself because I cant find it anywhere. Only way I know to do basically the same thing is go to Settings, Sound, Volume and turn everything down except Ringtone. I tried this last night and I still received Notifications, just no sound, and I called my phone and it rang. This is the only Home Phone I have so I need it to ring in the middle of the night, just didn't want the other garbage going off in the middle of the night.

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
If we cant figure out a way to get it to work, I was curious if blocking mode works if the phone is rooted. I do not want to have to go that route but the blocking mode is that important to me.

Ataraxia212

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted stock VRBMB1 (i.e. I've disabled the updater and I'm in limbo, so I haven't received the new update, and won't). I didn't know that "Blocking Mode" existed until last night when I started reading about the new update. I was so excited to use a feature that would be really useful, so I created a shortcut with Nova Prime (long press, choose shortcuts, activities, settings, then Blocking Mode: Settings$DormantmodeSettingsActivity). I enabled it with "Disable incoming calls" checked and no allowed contacts. I called my phone and the call went straight through with no problem. So, it looks like whether it's there and hidden, or its been completely stripped out, Verizon broke this feature a long time ago. I find new reasons to hate them every day.

Nehalelsanafawy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone ..

Me and my sis. having a problem in our SIII blocking mode !
when the blocking moide is enabled .. notifications like whatsapp, facebook, twitter, viber, and all the other apps keep ringing normally .. i?ve checked the settings manyyy time and make sure that it is working but nothing happened !!
I'm forced to manually reduce the notifications volume to zero.
Is it a bug or am I missing something?
I've tried setting the blocking mode with both time range and "always", but no differences at all.

Plzz i neeeeeeeeeeeed help .. the blocking mode is very important to me when i?m @ work .. so i need a solution ASAP Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone ..

Me and my sis. having a problem in our SIII blocking mode !
when the blocking moide is enabled .. notifications like whatsapp, facebook, twitter, viber, and all the other apps keep ringing normally .. i?ve checked the settings manyyy time and make sure that it is working but nothing happened !!
I'm forced to manually reduce the notifications volume to zero.
Is it a bug or am I missing something?
I've tried setting the blocking mode with both time range and "always", but no differences at all.

Plzz i neeeeeeeeeeeed help .. the blocking mode is very important to me when i?m @ work .. so i need a solution ASAP Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!

I use Sound Profile from the Play Store. It looks like that app will do what you are looking for.

Not my app, just one that I found to replace the sound profiles from my BlackBerry.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft&token=Sr3RKhQS

firedog1247

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I finally gave up on the Blocking Mode and downloaded something called "I'm Sleeping" from the Playstore. Its so simple its just stupid, and its FREE. Shuts everything down except the Whitelist of callers that you create. Only those callers will ring through, no notifications whatsoever on anything else. Also allows you to set a start/stop time frame for the phone to go to sleep as well as a weekend schedule too. I love it, simple, easy and does exactly what I needed.

saniphelia

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I called Verizon and their tech support said Samsung is working on a patch to restore functionality that it was unintentionally affected. Has anyone tried NFC tags to switch modes easily on the phone? I was thinking maybe programming can be done to block and that tag can placed in the bedroom and the tags with day functions can be placed in the living room. Would/Could it work as a temporary solution until blocking mode patch is released? Is there enough functionality with the tags to block all calls except a handful, notifications, etc?

Last edited: