Update Has Screwed Up 4G

Bebusy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I was absolutely thrilled last night to get the update to 4.1.2 Today I'm furious for not waiting.
My phone is going to 3G in places I know have strong 4G service. It's in places I've never had problems before.
It won't go back to 4G unless I turn mobile data off and then back on.
Even when I'm getting 4G the service it's very spotty.
I've rebooted the phone and did a battery pull.
I will not do a factory reset for something Verizon screwed up. They now need to fix it.
Anybody else having this problem?

Posted via Android Central App

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here. My mobile data cuts out then reconnects. I also have the issue of being connected to 3G instead of 4G. Gonna wait a bit before doing reset.

Brian Baldwin

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Ive seen a degrade in the 4G service since yesterday as well. I am on my phone a lot at work and I see that I just plain cant get data even though having 2 - 3 bars of service and 4G registering. I can sit here for a long time and get nothing. Reboot the phone and get it back for a while

Bebusy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it will take Verizon plenty of time to fix this. In the meantime, do any of those 4G signal booster apps really work?

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to use an app called Fresh Network(paid and free version). What it does is manually resets your network and looks for a cell tower with the strongest signal. It work well on my Droid X when I had bad signal strength. Since you brought it up I just installed it on my S3. Hopefully it will work as a temp fix for now.

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Noticing the same issue here. Began immediately following the upgrade installation and reboot, getting stuck in 1x mode. In a supposedly solid 4G area, but has always been tough pulling a signal in this apartment - this makes it even worse. Definitely a problem; hope it gets addressed quickly.

yellowmac

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Same here .. After the update my 4G and 3G is horrbile now... they need to fix this ASAP this phone is useless to me without a consistent data connection.

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I was having troubles with this and so this afternoon I did a full reset. However, now I can't seem to send a picture message (MMS). SMS will send just fine but pictures just won't send. I'm really not pleased with Verizon at the moment.

MrWinner77

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here, used to have decent 4G signal at my house and now it bounces back and forth between 3G and no signal. MMS / group messages are delayed both sending and receiving. Hoping for a semi quick fix here. Wish I would have stayed away from this update.

UPDATE - I did a factory reset and problem is still there.

Last edited:

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, someone commented on the Verizon post that I started that he did a factory reset to try to fix the problem and it didn't fix it. That was going to be the next step for me, but I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

"bontjes" did the factory reset fix the data issue for you, besides the issues with MMS? I can live without MMS for longer than I can live with intermittent mobile data.

Also the "fresh network app" that I mentioned in an earlier post does not work in getting the data to be restored after it cuts out. Nor does it find a 4G signal when on 3g.

It also seems that my phone is using more battery(not really sure), but it might be related to the phone repeatedly searching for a 4G signal.

Last edited:

Bebusy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Ughh. Sounds like we're in for long haul problem. This phone was working perfectly until now.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
They are going to tell you to do a factory reset. That is their response to everything they won't even consider that the code might be screwed up until after they get 1000+ complaints and everyone has done a factory reset to "fix" it. On the opposite side of this I was having this issue before the update and would have to do a full reset of the phone to get 4g back. Haven't seen it yet since the update though.

Bebusy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been on with VZW customer service and Samsung customer service. I told them I did the factory reset even though I really didn't in order to speed up the process.
After two very long conversations and no solution, they're sending out a replacement.
My hope is that since there seems to be just a few of us with this issue that somehow it's not affecting all phones and the CLNR will work ok with the update

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. Did a factory reset in hoping that i'd revert back to 4.1.1 but with no luck. Contacted VZW tech support, they tried telling me my sim card was fried in the update (they're wrong, i popped it into my nexus and it was fine). Tech support told me to try a new sim card at my local store, and if that didn't work they'd send me a warranty replacement.

JW13#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having intermittent data issues and trouble sending text messages. I called Verizon and got tier 2 support, they logged into my phone and checked my signal strength (settings/about phone/status/signal strength) and said that it was at -105dBm. Apparently anything over -103dBm is an almost non-existent signal, and i'm in an area where there is very solid 4G. The tech admitted that there appears to be an issue with the update, suggested that i stop by a Verizon store and try a new SIM card, and went ahead and sent me a replacement device just in case.

cameronmangast

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought I was going crazy with the connection issue. The last 3 phones I have had all start to have issues right after the 1 year mark for me. I assumed this was going to be the same story, but I am not the only one having the connection issue.