Caller Name ID app the cause of data drops?

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
A poster on another forum suggested that people losing their data since the update should disable the caller id app that was apparently sneaked in there. I did so 5 hours ago and have not dropped data since.

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I deleted the app almost right after the update. I'm still getting 1x speeds with 2-3 bars of LTE.

You can't delete the app. You need to go into your application manager and disable it. Going into your programs and getting rid of the icon does not get rid of the app.

cedjunior

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
You can't delete the app. You need to go into your application manager and disable it. Going into your programs and getting rid of the icon does not get rid of the app.
After you disable it, you can go back and remove it. It's still listed on the application manager as disabled though.

cedjunior

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
The button to "remove" is in the app, not the app manager.

As many of you have noticed that just got the new update, Verizon added a new app called CALLER NAME ID that is a service that will cost $2.99 a month after a 10 day trial period. Somehow when I clicked on it and it started the trial period, but there is good news you can opt out and delete the app.

1. Make sure mobile data is on and open the CALLER NAME ID app.
2. Go to ACCOUNT TOOLS and check your STATUS. If it says to SUBSCRIBE then that means that you have not been signed up for the service yet and simply hit the back
key and hit REMOVE APPLICATION.
3. If you see under your status that you have X amount of days left in your trial period then that means you have been signed up for the trial period. In this case just
unsubscribe and confirm, then hit the back key and hit REMOVE APPLICATION.
If you disabled the app then just enable it and remove.

In my case I was subscribed to the trial period and was able to opt out and remove app from my phone and did not see it in the app tray or ALL APPS list, but somehow after a few minutes I seen that my 4G icon popped back up so I checked my running apps and sure enough CALLER NAME ID was running again even though I removed it.
All I did was restart my phone and it appears to be gone now.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/284406-getting-rid-caller-name-id.html

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried that before even seeing your post. That will not remove the app, only the icon. The app is still hiding somewhere and must be disabled. There is no way to remove the app.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried that before even seeing your post. That will not remove the app, only the icon. The app is still hiding somewhere and must be disabled. There is no way to remove the app.

That is correct, I went through the process outlined and "removed" the app, but it is still hiding in the disabled app list at the bottom of your apps. Although it is not huge, it is still taking up 365k of valuable space even though it is disabled.

wolverine318

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I must be odd. Ever since freezing call name ID and "removing" it, my 4G signal has actually improved. I used to only get one bar of 3G at my workplace, but now I am getting 2-3 bars of 4G.

Rbrown3012

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have S3 on Verizon in Monroe, Louisiana. I am showing Ver 4.1.2 in about device. I did not receive any notice of an update from Verizon and I do not show an app called Caller Name ID.
I do not see any changes in the Gallery app.
I did find my phone was in Global Mode but can't say for sure that it hasn't been since day 1.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463