Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

jessman1128

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a relatively new Verizon Galaxy S3. I've had it for a little over one month. I've connected it to my computer several times to copy music files back and forth during the time I've owned it. Last night when I tried to connect it, my computer shows no signs of recognizing that anything is connected. The only thing that changes on the phone is it shows it is charging. I've tried 3 different cables, rebooted my phone, rebooted my computer, and it still isn't working. I'm not sure if the issue is with my phone or my computer. I'm running Windows 7 Professional. Really hoping somebody can help me get this figured out, because I'm stumped right now!

Last edited by a moderator:

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Try installing the latest drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jessman1128

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

jessman1128

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I just tried connecting my wife's phone (same exact model) to my computer and it worked. So it's definitely a problem with my phone, and not the computer or cable.

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.

jessman1128

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.
Thank you! I followed your instructions and I'm able to connect now.

jessman1128

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem again. I tried the "Download mode" instructions again, but they're not working this time around. Any other suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Well, if your wife's phone works fine when connected via the same cable and USB port, then it sounds like your phone has a hardware problem.
You can inspect the microUSB connector on the phone to see if everything looks normal (no pocket lint stuck in there), but other than blowing out the connector with compressed air there's not much else you can do.
When you connect the phone, if you're not getting a notification that it's in MTP or PTP mode, then the phone doesn't think it's connected - end of story.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

ACelts

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem here...I never had an issue until the premium suite upgrade. Just like the OP it worked once to plug in with download mode but then the very next day it didn't work again. Also I've tried multiple computers/cords and it makes no difference.

It charges completely fine but seems to have no idea that it's connected to a computer. All the connectivity options don't even appear and I bet the jessman is having the exact same symptoms. Anybody else having this problem/know of any solutions?

hophouse518

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem I've been working on this for weeks! PLEASE anyone who knows what to do let me know, I can't keep listening to the same five songs on my phone every day!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

You could always try "Kies Air": https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.samsung.swift.app.kiesair&token=9f13-U3o - no wires required, and it's already built-in to the stock ROM. You just need to have the phone and your PC on the same network. Open the app on the phone, and open a web browser on your PC, and follow the instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ACelts

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Kies air works...if I'm at home where there's wifi. Unfortunately it doesn't work in my situation. The main reason I want this fixed is because I listen to a lot of podcasts (great for a long commute) and want to download them by going through my computer's wired internet and not my data for the month. Kies would work great at home though, I've used it a few times in the past.

Hophouse - out of my own curiosity did this also start shortly after the recent upgrade? I'm thinking that's the issue, hopefully Verizon gets on their problem soon.

Halgy

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

This worked for me as well. This has been ticking me off for weeks. Thankee sai.

evasanyi2

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm having a similar issue. However, when I connect to my win 8 laptop, no problem... I have a drive showing in my computer to use for transfer. When I connect it to my win 8 desktop (same model - both laptop and desktop are HP Envy) then it doesn't show a usable drive. Just a CD drive with Verizon written on it but has no volume from phone SD card

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Thank you so much, this has been bugging me ever since the latest update!!

Cindy62712

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

Thank you. This fixed things so that my computer sees my phone.
Cindy

Benz Tronz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

This works after hours of searching online and trying different techniques but after removing the battery, powering back and then connecting the usb cable I get the
same error msg " usb device not recongnized" :(

Last edited:

chrizki

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

hey i had the same problem with my phone but i already fixed it here's how, first plug your device to your pc and while plugged in try restarting your PHONE then maybe it will work. :)

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I'm having a similar issue. However, when I connect to my win 8 laptop, no problem... I have a drive showing in my computer to use for transfer. When I connect it to my win 8 desktop (same model - both laptop and desktop are HP Envy) then it doesn't show a usable drive. Just a CD drive with Verizon written on it but has no volume from phone SD card

Pull down the menu on your phone and tell it to connect and that should fix the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn