Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Rados158

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Hi, I don't know did anyone mention this, but i did it in this way. Go to the settings, then storage and press the key for more. It should be displayed option "usb computer connection", go into it and press the option "Media device (MTP)". Now it should connect to the computer.

aussiemum32

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I was having issues with my Samsung s3 as well. I wanted to be able to connect my Samsung S3 to my PC so I could share my computer's Internet connection with my phone, it took a little while to master it, I didn't know that you could connect the phone to a PC via USB, after some searching online I soon discovered I could by going into settings--Developer Options and turned it on, then I went to settings--more settings--tethering and portable hotspot and turned on USB debugging.
Finally I thought I would be able to share my PC's connection with my mobile, I was able to connect to Facebook and search the Internet, but for some reason I still couldn't sync my email account which was strange. I was being recognized by my PC since it was there under "Portable Devices" I was able to access all my files, I have Kies installed, I knew I had all the latest drivers. I have always used mobile data or WI-FI to connect my phone, which is convenient when your out and about, but when you are home and have access to a PC it makes sense that your phone be able to connect to it.
So I came here in search of answers, and after reading through all the comments and realizing there was something I was something I was missing, I took the advice from peteyw85 searched my "device and printers" section in Control Panel and realized that not only did my Samsung S3 device appear but also two previous mobile phone devices that I had connected to my PC. Once I removed the two other devices I now longer use now, my phone finally worked and connected to the Internet and my email account was able to sync once more.
I don't know why my PC couldn't tell the difference between my new mobile and my previous devices, but I am hopeful that maybe this can help someone else.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
is this going to format my samsung galaxy s3
Is WHAT going to format your S3? It would be helpful if you quoted the post that you're concerned about (and rather than include the whole thing, trim it to focus on the pertinent information).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Love this phone except for the problems it has connecting via usb. Sometimes mine does connect and I can move files, sometimes it does not connect no matter what I do. Frustrating.

Bob Relyea

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks,
I had to search through a number of forums to find this out. Didn't realize I had switched cables. Just a reminder, check the simple things first!

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Can anyone tell me exactly where I can get the right device drivers? There are none on Samsung website for me, it just lets you download Kies which I have done and installed and uninstalled and reinstalled. I also followed directions from here http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...obile-phones-1-5-27-0-drivers-win-8-7-xp.html and none of these worked. I'm at a loss. my problem is that even in download mode the fone is never picked up by Windows 8. I'm happy its not the cable (works with other phones) or the laptop (brand new works with other phones and tablets) something is just off with my S3...HELP?

Yes, go to the Samsung.com web site, and hover on "Owners" in ;the top tool bar. Click on "Get Support" in the dropdown menu that you get. Then, in the page that you'll get from there, find your exact model in the "Start by Entering Your Product's Model Number or Name" field. I started with that field by typing "SCH-i535", then picked my exact model out of the resulting list and clicked on it.

After doing that, click on "Downloads" on the page that comes up on the bar that's in about the middle of that page. When you do that, you should see the USB drivers for Windows be available for download, and click on the "EXE" button under "Download". You should then get the USB drivers for your phone downloaded, which you can install on your computer.

It really is simple, in a nutshell, you'll go to Support on samsung.com, enter/select your phone's exact model, and go to the available downloads for your phone. There's only one download available, the USB driver installation software for Windows. I don't even see any USB drivers for any other OS, so little room for making a mistake *smile*.

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:

hahmad

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear,

THANKS A LOT,
you saved my gs3, i was planning to dump it due to usb error.

i did which u mentioned and everything GREAT again,

thanks thanks thanks

rspaz

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Using a different cable to connect to my USB port worked for me. Now I can see files on my Samsung Galaxy Phone, and retrieve photos from it.

janus3

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
dethfold said:

"problem happened to me suddenly, while i am with sprint, i did try some things i found to no avail for the past few hours. my friend woke up and i told him about it and we decided it might be the usb cord i was trying to use. it proved to be, as once he brought the one for his phone to me, i instantly mounted just like it is supposed to. the usb cord i was trying to use is from a car charger, and obviously not made to be compatible with transferring files. the problem could be as simple as this for some of you so i decided to register and post. hope it helps. and thanks everyone else for all your posts, helpful or not."

you were right. i forgot i moved my original cable to the car and used one that came with a charger. who knew some cables were made for charging/data transfer and some were made for just charging. Thanks for this and i think this simple solution is being overlooked by many.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
That is because a lot of cables that come with chargers, especially chargers that output more than 500 milliamps (.5 amps), have the data pins shorted out so the device can pull more than 500 milliamps from the charger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Joe Korah

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried turning my phone on with the Volume Down + Home + Power and it turns on just like normal, not in Download Mode, and plugging it into the computer just charges the phone, no transfer options available. Anyone know why?

Joe Korah

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

I tried turning my phone on with the Volume Down + Home + Power and it turns on just like normal, not in Download Mode, and plugging it into the computer just charges the phone, no transfer options available. Anyone know why?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
I tried turning my phone on with the Volume Down + Home + Power and it turns on just like normal, not in Download Mode
Sounds like you're not holding all three keys down until you get to the first part of Download mode - you have to press-and-hold.
plugging it into the computer just charges the phone, no transfer options available. Anyone know why?
Do you have the drivers installed? Are you using a data cable? The original cable that came with the phone had a little tag that said 'Backup Assistant Plus' on it - it's a data cable; other cables may just be for charging.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

rvjrko

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
When i do the power, volume up, home button it brings me up to something that says recover mode. which option do i select from there please.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
When i do the power, volume up, home button it brings me up to something that says recover mode. which option do i select from there please.
It depends - what are you trying to do?
Perhaps if you started with your problem description?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463