Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

I have a relatively new Verizon Galaxy S3. I've had it for a little over one month. I've connected it to my computer several times to copy music files back and forth during the time I've owned it. Last night when I tried to connect it, my computer shows no signs of recognizing that anything is connected. The only thing that changes on the phone is it shows it is charging. I've tried 3 different cables, rebooted my phone, rebooted my computer, and it still isn't working. I'm not sure if the issue is with my phone or my computer. I'm running Windows 7 Professional. Really hoping somebody can help me get this figured out, because I'm stumped right now!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Default Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

Try installing the latest drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by blade22222 View Post
    Try installing the latest drivers.
    I neglected to mention that I already tried that. I installed Samsung drivers v1.5.14.0 from this link . Still nothing. Nothing even shows up in Device Manager. If it was a driver issue it seems like I'd at least get an unrecognized USB device in Device Manager.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I just tried connecting my wife's phone (same exact model) to my computer and it worked. So it's definitely a problem with my phone, and not the computer or cable.

Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.
    Thanked by 15:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mrbowlman View Post
    Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.
    Thank you! I followed your instructions and I'm able to connect now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'm having the same problem again. I tried the "Download mode" instructions again, but they're not working this time around. Any other suggestions?

Well, if your wife's phone works fine when connected via the same cable and USB port, then it sounds like your phone has a hardware problem.
    You can inspect the microUSB connector on the phone to see if everything looks normal (no pocket lint stuck in there), but other than blowing out the connector with compressed air there's not much else you can do.
    When you connect the phone, if you're not getting a notification that it's in MTP or PTP mode, then the phone doesn't think it's connected - end of story.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

I'm having the same problem here...I never had an issue until the premium suite upgrade. Just like the OP it worked once to plug in with download mode but then the very next day it didn't work again. Also I've tried multiple computers/cords and it makes no difference.

It charges completely fine but seems to have no idea that it's connected to a computer. All the connectivity options don't even appear and I bet the jessman is having the exact same symptoms. Anybody else having this problem/know of any solutions?

I'm having the exact same problem I've been working on this for weeks! PLEASE anyone who knows what to do let me know, I can't keep listening to the same five songs on my phone every day!
    Thanked by:

You could always try "Kies Air": - no wires required, and it's already built-in to the stock ROM. You just need to have the phone and your PC on the same network. Open the app on the phone, and open a web browser on your PC, and follow the instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thanked by:

Kies air works...if I'm at home where there's wifi. Unfortunately it doesn't work in my situation. The main reason I want this fixed is because I listen to a lot of podcasts (great for a long commute) and want to download them by going through my computer's wired internet and not my data for the month. Kies would work great at home though, I've used it a few times in the past.

Hophouse - out of my own curiosity did this also start shortly after the recent upgrade? I'm thinking that's the issue, hopefully Verizon gets on their problem soon.

This worked for me as well. This has been ticking me off for weeks. Thankee sai.
    vegastriguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgy View Post
    This worked for me as well. This has been ticking me off for weeks. Thankee sai.
    Oi

... Your Mummy is a Zombie.

I'm having a similar issue. However, when I connect to my win 8 laptop, no problem... I have a drive showing in my computer to use for transfer. When I connect it to my win 8 desktop (same model - both laptop and desktop are HP Envy) then it doesn't show a usable drive. Just a CD drive with Verizon written on it but has no volume from phone SD card

Thank you so much, this has been bugging me ever since the latest update!!

Thank you. This fixed things so that my computer sees my phone.
    Cindy

This works after hours of searching online and trying different techniques but after removing the battery, powering back and then connecting the usb cable I get the
    same error msg " usb device not recongnized"
    Last edited by Benz Tronz; 07-06-2013 at 12:06 PM.

hey i had the same problem with my phone but i already fixed it here's how, first plug your device to your pc and while plugged in try restarting your PHONE then maybe it will work.

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Quote Originally Posted by evasanyi2 View Post
    I'm having a similar issue. However, when I connect to my win 8 laptop, no problem... I have a drive showing in my computer to use for transfer. When I connect it to my win 8 desktop (same model - both laptop and desktop are HP Envy) then it doesn't show a usable drive. Just a CD drive with Verizon written on it but has no volume from phone SD card
    Pull down the menu on your phone and tell it to connect and that should fix the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the tip, but mine is stuck now in Downloading Android screen.... I'm connecting my S3 to a MacbookPro running OS 10.6.8 and the USB/Kies Wifi connection used to just fine (well, almost) until the latest Samsung firmware update, whatever version that was. Also Kies is updated to the latest version, but obviously it doesn't help either....

Is it only me or other people find that having to use pseudo hacks into what should work by itself are normal for an OS that's supposed to beat Apple's iOS?
    I switched to GS3 from the iPhone for ease of use and what do I get? Updates and firmwares that screw up the phone? Looks like Apple all over again.

Shame on you Samsung!
    Thanked by:
    Cashmere2300 likes this.

Ive tried connecting it in download mode but still doesnt connect. I need help

I'm having the same problem (Windows 7 laptop won't recognize phone). I thought was because I tried to install the latest driver so I could run App Inventor but after reading these threads, I realize that I ran the Samsung update since last attempting to connect via USB.

So after attempting mrbowlman's solution, which sounded so promising, my S3 is in download mode for the past 10 minutes. How long should I leave it? Will it brick it if I pull out the battery? There is nothing popping up on the laptop so I don't think this is the fix.

BTW I'm not complaining about the proposed solution, just nervous about getting the phone back to it's (almost) working state.

Quote Originally Posted by eaBatzer View Post
    So after attempting mrbowlman's solution, which sounded so promising, my S3 is in download mode for the past 10 minutes. How long should I leave it? Will it brick it if I pull out the battery? There is nothing popping up on the laptop so I don't think this is the fix.
    It shouldn't take long for Windows to do what it needs while in Download mode. If I recall, you should see the "installing driver" pop up after plugging it in. Once that's done, you can just pull the battery to get out of download mode. You may be able to check to see if the phone shows up in device manager while in download mode. You won't brick anything by pulling the battery while in download mode unless you're in the middle of flashing something with Odin. (you wouldn't need to pull the battery like this if you were flashing something with Odin, as Odin sends a reboot command after the flash)

To be clear, you won't be able to view the contents of the internal memory and sdcard while in download mode like you would if the the phone was fully booted and connected to your pc like normal.

I went ahead and reset the battery, phone is back to original state. THANK YOU for your prompt response; I'm not a big hardware hacker, just trying to download some pictures like I should be able to!
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast