Replacement S3... can I do a mass re-download of all apps?

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
(UNLESS IM MISSING SOMETHING)
If you didn't do a backup then you will have to download everything again. The playstore will auto update everything once you get it on the phone. I downloaded an app called backup and restore and used it. It wouldn't help you now but just for future reference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It had me enter my gmail address and password, but it never gave me the option to restore apps. I've even tried removing the account and adding it back... same results.

If it skipped the restoration, it must have for a reason. Did you sync with Google before you lost the original S3?

iowaberg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The replacement already had the play store installed. I had Google on the bad S3 before it died and always had it backed up. Not sure what else I could have done. oh well.
If you didn't do a backup then you will have to download everything again. The playstore will auto update everything once you get it on the phone. I downloaded an app called backup and restore and used it. It wouldn't help you now but just for future reference.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

That might be helpful in the future.

iowaberg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If it skipped the restoration, it must have for a reason. Did you sync with Google before you lost the original S3?
Not really sure what you're asking. I buy apps from the play store all the time on my phone. If i go to the play store, i see everything i've downloaded on my phone automatically.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The replacement already had the play store installed. I had Google on the bad S3 before it died and always had it backed up. Not sure what else I could have done. oh well.

As an alternate, you can open up Play, click menu, My Apps, when it brings up your list, you can swipe over to all apps, and then you can download by the list that was on Play, as opposed to finding them all on the net.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure what you're asking. I buy apps from the play store all the time on my phone. If i go to the play store, i see everything i've downloaded on my phone automatically.

I meant the restoration from Google. The step that restores all your apps for you. Did you sync the device with Google before the original S3 was damaged, prompting the replacement one you got?

iowaberg

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe the syncing with Google is automatic isn't it? At least that's my experience with Gmail, contacts, and everything else. I've rarely done a sync with Google. I couldn't even turn on my old device. It just died yesterday. I have never been prompted to "Resore apps" from the Play store.

I meant the restoration from Google. The step that restores all your apps for you. Did you sync the device with Google before the original S3 was damaged, prompting the replacement one you got?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe the syncing with Google is automatic isn't it? At least that's my experience with Gmail, contacts, and everything else. I've rarely done a sync with Google. I couldn't even turn on my old device. It just died yesterday. I have never been prompted to "Resore apps" from the Play store.

The restoration only is offered with a new setup, or after a factory reset.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Looking over this thread, wouldn't iowaberg want to do this on his/her phone. If he/she turns his/her phone on wifi, goes to the play store and then makes sure auto-sync is on, will they then download? I used backup software so not sure how to do it on Google, but when I did a factory reset, I never had an option to download again from Google even though things are supposed to be backed up.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463