I can't tell if my phone is actually rooted.

Jordan Smith5

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the s3 about a month and a half ago running 4.1.2. After rooting it and failing to flash a ROM twice resulting in two wipes and a soft brick, I decided to turn it back to stock firmware.

Now it's running 4.0.4 (unaware that it would revert to ICS). I still get the lock icon whenever I turn it on and in the status section under about device it says "modified" so I know it's technically rooted. However, I can't use apps such as Titanium Backup or Rom Manager. And since it's 4.04, now I'm getting the annoying "cell standby" drain. It's driving me insane.

I can't return it because it's technically rooted but I have no idea what to do. I would love to flash a new Rom (even though I haven't been able to figure it out yet) but it's not recognizing it's rooted.

Any suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You can use an app like Root Checker: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&token=mxRC8SmU to see if your phone really is rooted (it doesn't sound like it).
You can also refer to the various stickies in the root sub-forum to find out how to load the stock ROM for the phone (unrooted or rooted - your call).
Last time I checked they were still hosting the 4.1.1 ROM, rather than the 4.1.2 (not the latest 4.1.2 with all the problems).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

newbroot83

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The modified status normally means you have rooted at some point. Chainfire made an app called triangle away. Most likely your flash count is one or better. Chainfired triangle away will take the count back to zero, then you can do an fdr and it should be back to device statis normal

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

newbroot83

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Not going to happen - all of the root solutions require a computer (preferably a Windows-based computer).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Not really true if you aren't trying to unlock the bootloader. Framaroot works just fine without a pc. Just download it and run it.

Skynote 4.3 Rom'd Note 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not really true if you aren't trying to unlock the bootloader. Framaroot works just fine without a pc. Just download it and run it.
I stand corrected - I didn't think it was possible to root without an ADB-style debug connection (shows how little I know). Thanks for the information! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

I am curious about your statement - once the phone is rooted via Framaroot, shouldn't it be possible to run the normal bootloader unlocker?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

newbroot83

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected - I didn't think it was possible to root without an ADB-style debug connection (shows how little I know). Thanks for the information!

I am curious about your statement - once the phone is rooted via Framaroot, shouldn't it be possible to run the normal bootloader unlocker?

Sorry I wasn't trying to call you out. I just learned about Framaroot when I got my note 2. As far as running the normal bootloader unlocked I'm afraid I'm in the dark. What process do you mean? (I'm a noob lol)

Skynote 4.3 Rom'd Note 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't trying to call you out....
....As far as running the normal bootloader unlocked I'm afraid I'm in the dark. What process do you mean?
I don't feel called out at all - glad to learn something new. Thanks again.

Regarding unlocking the bootloader - there was an app in the Google Play Store (apparently pulled, although it still shows up in my ALL list) that allows you to unlock the bootloader once the phone is rooted. From what I understand (disclaimer: heh heh - I've been wrong before), the bootloader has to be unlocked before you can flash an alternate Recovery method and before you can load a different ROM.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel called out at all - glad to learn something new. Thanks again.

Regarding unlocking the bootloader - there was an app in the Google Play Store (apparently pulled, although it still shows up in my ALL list) that allows you to unlock the bootloader once the phone is rooted. From what I understand (disclaimer: heh heh - I've been wrong before), the bootloader has to be unlocked before you can flash an alternate Recovery method and before you can load a different ROM.

The app your referring to is ez unlock and yes you have to unlock or find another workaround to flash custom recovery or roms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

newbroot83

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeh I've heard of it but never tried it. Verizon locks up these phones if you're rooted and install any app that they don't like so I'd say they'd lock it up if you tried to unlock that way. I unlocked using casual which unlocks through odin

Skynote 4.3 Rom'd Note 2

Stacy Love

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the link for casual? I have the Verizon Samsung galaxy s3 i535 on 4.1.2 vrbmf1 and want to unlock it so I can use it with tmobile and their unlimited $50 plan. If you don't have the link do you know how I can unlock it? Thanks in advance if you reply!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Stacy,
Please don't confuse 'unlocking the bootloader' (which is what much of this thread is about) with 'unlocking the phone for use on another carrier', which it appears that you want to do.

Also, 'casual' involves rooting the phone (and perhaps unlocking the bootloader; I didn't use that method), so again - that's not what you're looking for.

Have you called Verizon and asked them to unlock the phone? There's been a big stink lately with carriers trying to force people to stay on their network and the FCC is starting to crack down on this - as long as your account is in good standing, and you pay any ETFs, they should give you an unlock code with no issue.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
pravin,
It would be preferable for you to post a link to the original source of this 'Quick root', rather than some random file that users have to trust is what you say it is.

Also note that most root methods are model/carrier specific, so what works to root one phone doesn't necessarily work to root a different one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670