Wi-Fi help please - I thnk I need to change a setting

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
HI,

I got a replacement S3 from VZW. My home Wi-Fi shows "Secured (WPD available)" and I'm fairly certain that's not secure enough and it needs to say something else. As I recall my other S3 said Secured but there were two words following with a " / " in between them. Anyone know how I can fix this so it's more secure?

Thanks,
Deb

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you changed anything on your router? If so not nothing has changed. It's the same as before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't. I was getting Authentication Failed errors (which I believe that's when I try entering my router password) when entering my router password but it won't accept it. I was just able to log into my router with the same password and so that tells me the password is correct. I seriously don't think this WPS available is right.

The phone is showing the IP as: 0.0.0.0 and don't think that's right either.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Try rebooting the router first, also are you talking about logging into the router or connecting via wifi?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Both actually. I logged into my router on my PC. I want my phone connected to my home network properly - this WPS available (sorry typo WPD in first post). I also need to connect to mOffice to sync my calendar etc and that's not working either. When I dug more into the phone's IP it's not 0.0.0.0 (that's what mOffice is showing it as) but the phone shows a very strange looking IP. I don't know if it's safe to include it here so it goes like this: two digits.three digits.two digits.three digits instead of the normal IP configuration.

I found the security setting on my old Thunderbolt I couldn't remember what it was - it's not supposed to be WPS it's supposed to be WPA/WPA2 PSK.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wps is for setting up a connection. That ip is probably the one assigned by verizon. Are you sure your using the right password and protocol?

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just spent 2 hours on the phone w/VZW 2nd tier support and they can't get it switched over either. They decided it had to be my router. Well, my other S3 and my Thunderbolt didn't seem to have any trouble showing the more secure connection with my router so I don't believe that for a minute. I just did a reset of the replacement phone (day after I get it) and that didn't help either. I've rebooted my router and modem 2x. Was able to log into my router on my PC with the same password that I'm entering into the phone and all I get from that is an authentication error. I have no idea where to find the protocol settings on the phone.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you connecting via wifi with your computer? The user and password you use to access your router isn't necessarily the same as the one used for wifi connections. As for which encryption go to add wifi network on your phone and it should be there.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, my computer - home WIFI. I just swapped out the SIM cards. When you go into the Advanced WIFI settings, the IP address displays on my original S3. On the replacement S3 it displays IP unavailable. So it's NOT my router far as I'm concerned. Both now show the WPS available. My original S3 used to display the more secure connection information. Tech told me as long as the lock is locked I'm secure but I'm not buying that either.

UPDATE: I put the new SIM card in my old phone and was able to get the more secure connection on my old phone AND the IP address is visible. So, it's NOT my router that's the problem. I got back on the phone w/VZW and the guy told me this is a known issue and they are sending a replacement for the replacement that replaced my original S3. This next one had better not have one single issue! So much for the S3 being the best phone on the market. Not in my opinion.

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure which phone you mean. My first S3 had other issues. The two replacements they sent had WIFI issues.

I just spent all morning again (third time this week) on the phone w/VZW and then they transferred me over to Samsung where I got some guy from India or somewhere that I couldn't understand who wanted to do MORE troubleshooting and I couldn't even understand what he was saying 1/2 the time, it was very frustrating and RIDICULOUS! Got back with the VZW guy I was working with. They are now sending me a Droid Razr. I'm NOT happy. I told him no more Samsung and he came up with the Rezound, Droid Razr and Droid Incredible. The Razr seemed to have the biggest screen of all of them which I like the bigger screen. I don't think I'd ever buy a Razr myself, never wanted one when I've looked before and from what I can tell it doesn't have near the specs my S3 has.

I thought when this happened they were supposed to send you a comparable phone? I don't think this one is from what I can tell. It's just the Razr no M no HD no nothing after Razr. Did I get royally screwed or not?

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I think you did. Goggle it, it's specs are lower then the gs3 but not by too much.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever actually do WPS to try to connect the phone?

Go into WIFI on your phone, hit menu, then select either WPS push button or WPS pin entry. Then just go into your router and select the same WPS method. Then it will say Secured WPA/WPA2 PSK

I recently did it with mine.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Go into WIFI on your phone, hit menu, then select either WPS push button or WPS pin entry. Then just go into your router and select the same WPS method. Then it will say Secured WPA/WPA2 PSK

When you say go into my router and select the same WPS method, do you mean to login to it on my PC? If so, I had already done that a few days ago and the setting there was the WPA/WPA2 PSK which is also what my original S3 shows as a connection. I'm quite willing to give this one more try before sending back the 2nd replacement. Does it matter which one I choose; WPS push button or WPS pin entry ???

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I think you did. Goggle it, it's specs are lower then the gs3 but not by too much.

I'd already done that which is why I mentioned it in the first place. The most concerning one I found (I think) is the screen resolution, there's a huge difference there. The other differences I don't think are all that huge but I'm not real good with the real technical stuff so I may be incorrect on that.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I recently did it with mine.

Also please tell me what I enter for the PIN number. Thank you.

UPDATE: Tonight I found a YouTube video on this and just spent the last hour trying to make it work with no luck.

Last edited: