1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any way to stop the Software Update screen?

I'm perfectly happy with my S3 on MB1 and have no desire to update, now at least. I received the OTA notification this morning, but I did not press either OK or Defer. I just pressed the back button to get out of it, but it keeps reappearing every few minutes. I tried wiping the cache partition to see if that would help, but no. Would clearing data in the SDM app or maybe Google Framework Services help, or would this cause other problems?

Default Re: Any way to stop the Software Update screen?

Just hit defer. It let's you choose the date and time it will remind you again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

As the previous poster suggested, you can defer it to a later date. But the only way to block it is to root your phone, and then rename a few files.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well, I finally got rid of the update notification that kept popping up - without rooting or anything. While fumbling to get the phone out of my pocket, I guess I accidentally pressed the HOME button and swiped the screen, which brought me to the notification where I have the choice to accept or defer. My fingers must have hit the accept button before getting the phone out of my pocket, because by the time I looked at the screen, the update process had begun. In a panic, I hit the power button, interrupting the install and shutting down the phone. When I turned the phone back on, I got a notification that the update had failed, and that was it. I have not seen the message to update since.
    If I go to Software Update in Settings, I see the status as "Update Failed Code 410", and I have the option to Check New.

Quote Originally Posted by grm3 View Post
    Well, I finally got rid of the update notification that kept popping up - without rooting or anything. While fumbling to get the phone out of my pocket, I guess I accidentally pressed the HOME button and swiped the screen, which brought me to the notification where I have the choice to accept or defer. My fingers must have hit the accept button before getting the phone out of my pocket, because by the time I looked at the screen, the update process had begun. In a panic, I hit the power button, interrupting the install and shutting down the phone. When I turned the phone back on, I got a notification that the update had failed, and that was it. I have not seen the message to update since.
    If I go to Software Update in Settings, I see the status as "Update Failed Code 410", and I have the option to Check New.
    Yikes! I don't know if pulling the plug on during an update would be my first choice to getting rid of the notification. I would be worried about rendering the phone unbootable, but I'm clueless to how these things work.

I wonder if you'll eventually get a notification about the latest update whenever your phone gets around to checking for one on its own.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well, several days after finally getting rid of the update notification, it started again this morning. So much for that.

Just update, and be done with it

--Tapatalk on SGS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

^ What he said.
    The MF1 build is very stable.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

I'm still leery of the MF3 update. There are still a few people reporting slow network performance with the latest update. I did accept the update on my wife's phone and it looks good. I just don't want to have to go through another factory reset with mine right now if I'm not as lucky.