Phone is Duplicating contacts

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Help, I don't know what to do. For some time now my phone keeps duplicating contacts 2,3,and 4 times. And then it joins them so when I look up a phone # it brings up many more results. Does anyone know how to stop this, and is there a way to delete all the extra contacts at one time?
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Help, I don't know what to do. For some time now my phone keeps duplicating contacts 2,3,and 4 times. And then it joins them so when I look up a phone # it brings up many more results. Does anyone know how to stop this, and is there a way to delete all the extra contacts at one time?
Thanks

Do you have your Facebook friends to sync with your phone? That could be the reason why.

ilovetheflbeach

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Facebook

If you have additional entries it could also be from g+, gmail, aol, hotmail. You can join those contacts into one entry.
Click on one entry, press bottom left side of your sign choose Join Contact, your list of contacts will show up choose which one you want to join with. Simple

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try Contact Analyzer 2: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.andrew.contactanalyzer2&token=NE7Wo7i3 - it hasn't been updated in a long time, but it worked well for me back in my HTC Thunderbolt days.
Edit: There's Contact Remover Plus: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.holyhog.dcfdpro&token=SSE58jgq which seems to have more current reviews, but it's a paid app.
You didn't give us much to go on for how all of these duplicates showed up. It could be something as simple as using Verizon Backup Assistant + and having it restore your contacts while at the same time having your contacts already synced with Google. Without more information on when the problem started, or what social apps you might use, it's a shot in the dark.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

ricksinn

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
my s4 does the same exact thing and as far as Verizon an Android and Samsung is concerned that problem doesn't exist.one of those I'll look into it I'll get back to you and they never do and plus there's no record of it being talked about

djrichard

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Have the same issue. The web page that Google has set up for contacts isn't showing dupes. But my android phone (S3) is showing all kinds of dupes, sometimes 6 or 7 dupes for a single contact. And what's strange is that the dupes contain no info, except for the name field.

So I used an option on the old version of google contacts web page to export my contacts to a file. And then I wiped all the contacts, both on the web page and on the phone. Then I re-imported all the contacts (from the exported file) via the web page and waited for that to sync to the phone. After a while it synced and everything was just fine.

But subsequently, my phone has sprouted duplicate contacts again. And again, these dupes are not showing up on the web page for Google contacts. And again, the dupes contain no info.

gdio53

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Waze installed? It's a known issue that was supposed to be fixed several releases ago.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

djrichard

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll be, waze was the culprit. I removed the app and all the duplicate contacts disappeared.

Thanks so much! I wouldn't have guessed to think that.

gdio53

May 14, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome, glad to help.

You don't have to remove Waze, just the account in the device settings. It happens with every app update.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LarryB34695

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
>>... just the account in the device settings.<<
Sorry, but what does this mean? My LG G3 had this problem and I had to delete Waze. I don't know which/where the "Device settings" you refer to are.

CCLB0321

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

CCLB0321

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000