Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amsparky
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Default Google Now Location-Based Reminders Not Working Well at All

I've set up reminders for home and work. On some occasions I will get the reminder after I have been at the location after an hour or more, and sometimes I don't get notified at all? It's showing my location accurately on the phone- just the reminders aren't working correctly. Is this actually working for anyone? I mean, if you go to a location wtih a reminder, do you a) get a reminder, and b) a reminder right away- not hours after you've arrived at the location? I need to determine if it's not working yet, or if I may have an interfering app... THANKS!

Default Re: Google Now Location-Based Reminders Not Working Well at All

I have not had that issue with the location based reminders. Do you have your GPS turned on? If not, it might be using cell towers to determine your position, which isn't as accurate and can be a long ways off (so maybe it's not recognizing you're at the location)
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

If you don't have a good signal, Google Now will be way off on reminders

I believe it also helps to have WiFi on, even if not connected to any WiFi networks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Thanks everyone so far. Yes, I have gps on, and a good signal (responses 1 & 2) at both home and work where I've tried this. I do not have wifi on, so that may be an option to try. Please, any other suggestions, or anyone else with the same problem, please let me know!!!

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I have been having the same issue. I tried using it the other day and got the reminder a day later. I thought I might get the reminder after I left the store, due to the GPS but nope. Got it the next day. I also am not getting my sports cards on Now...

Posted via Android Central App
    barthawk likes this.

It just does not work very well, if at all. I told it to remind me to turn on wifi when I got home. It did but 45 minutes later...
    I told it to remind me to purchase something at Best Buy when I was at the gym (very close to Best Buy)...it never did remind me on that one even though it recognized the gyms location , address etc...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Alternately,does anyone know if there are any (good) 3rd-part location-based reminder apps out there, especially ones using the new Google API which decreases the battery drain? Suggestion would be greatly appreciated- I really could use this feature!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Bump...

A search for "location-based reminder" turned up 54 results in the Google Play Store - I'll bet you can find something that meets your needs.
    The only location-based apps I've used have been:
    Delayed Lock:
    Delayed Lock Location-Plugin:
    and
    Verizon WiFi Auto-On:
    They worked reasonably well.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Thanks GSDer. I really have done a thorough search on this. I know there's lots of apps, but I should have been more specific- if there's any that use the new Google API so that battery drainage is limited. I haven't found anything is this category yet- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Do you have any other devices that your signed into with your google account? I was also experiencing problems and looked at my location history and saw it jumping all over the place. Then I realized I had location turned on on my note 10.1 that was at home. It's signed into the same account so sometimes it was pulling the tablet location into google now. It solved my issue with it. Just an idea/thought.

Hello everyone,

I've just released an app that aims to deliver location based reminders. It's called Geobells. It uses parts of the new Google API, and offers more features than Google Now location based reminders.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Accidentally posted twice, sorry about that

Thanks Neil - it's nice to see developers involved in the forums, and glad that you have a free (ad-based) version for people to try.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by dtfamily View Post
    Thanks GSDer. I really have done a thorough search on this. I know there's lots of apps, but I should have been more specific- if there's any that use the new Google API so that battery drainage is limited. I haven't found anything is this category yet- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    I've just released an app that aims to deliver location based reminders. It's called Geobells. It uses parts of the new Google API, and offers more features than Google Now location based reminders.

I have the same issue on my S3 running Slim Bean 8. Thanks for posting the app - good option, but it would be nice if the built in stuff in Android would actually work right. Also, for some reason the play store tells me that Geobells is not available in my country (I'm in Mexico). I managed to install it by using APK downloader and sideloading it, but still would prefer not to have yet another app.

Another app that might do the trick is tasker, but I haven't delved into that yet...

ROM
    Stock

I found that the accuracy of my location-based Google Now reminders jumped significantly when I started enabling wifi, even when I'm not near my home network. Google's location accuracy really is significantly better with wifi on, at least in my experience. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

I have done two hard resets in my gs3 and they still don't work. I should have kept my iPhone. I had to manually enter the addresses for reminders but at least they worked.

Unhappy Re: Google Now Location-Based Reminders Not Working Well at All

Mine don't work at all either. I have never ever gotten a reminder about anything when I got home. I have all my location services turned on, I have WiFi turned on, I have GPS turned on... etc. My phone has also stopped giving me to and from work commute times ever since I got a new job, even though I updated my new work address in my places. WTH?

Location reminders don't work at all for me either even with everything turned on .