New Owner unable to activate previously rooted Galaxy S3

pcm1969

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I recently unrooted and flashed back to stock, a Verizon Galaxy S3 and then sold it. I used an app to reset the flash counter and doublechecked that it showed 0. However, the new owner has just contacted me saying that the phone won't activate on Verizon's network, saying that it's been flashed. Can someone help me understand why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thanks!

timo4476

pcm1969

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought so, but obviously I did something wrong. The phone is being returned to me and I want to make sure I handle it in a way that I AM able to sell it legitimately so someone can activate it with Verizon. Are there some specific things I can check to troubleshoot what the issue may be?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
[root] Triangle Away: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&token=_Nyrn1ZJ - was this the app you used? I assume you used it before you reloaded the stock ROM...
Did you use Odin to flash the stock firmware? Can you point us to the file that you used?
Next time around, you should activate the phone (to be sure that everything is working), then just do a Factory Reset to set it back to OOB condition.
Download mode should have shown something like:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: (Not sure about this - mine shows Custom)
QUALCOMM SECURE BOOT: ENABLE

Did you relock the bootloader when you were done?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

pcm1969

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I did use the Triangle Away app and I also used Odin to flash the stock firmware; however, I don't have the file anymore that I used and I can't recall even where I found it. I'm not sure if I relocked the bootloader - can you tell me how to do that?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
EZ-Unlock: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mmmeff.ez.unlock - this will only work if the phone is rooted (my bad for asking if you did that when you were done).
You may want to try using the Kies software on your PC to load the latest firmware - that should give you a known source for the official Samsung build.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

pcm1969

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just received the phone back and checked to see what my download mode says...it's exactly the same as yours (including Custom in System Status, which I assume is not what it should say, right?) Can you tell me what I should do next to figure out what the issue is?

pcm1969

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just checked in settings... About device... Status and it's says modified instead of normal. Can I just go through the entire unrooting process again? If so, is there a
good place for me to go for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18