Speech to text will not capitalize first word of a sentence now. How can I fix it?

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Suddenly (no updates were done that I know of) it will no longer capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Keyboard does but not speech to text. Version is 4.1.2. I don't see anything in the settings to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? Very annoying. Any help is appreciated.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
S Voice?
Google Now?
Other?
in:
Stock Messaging?
Gmail?
Other?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It is whatever you get stock when you hit the microphone button. Pretty sure that is Google but forgive me as I am not positive. I know I haven't added anything to have speech to text.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This is using speech to text. do sentences begin with a capital letter? you be the judge.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I see what you're saying - I'll have to dig around to see if there's a setting that we're missing.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it has anything to do with the keyboard in use? this is using the Samsung keyboard. Well I guess that's not it. perhaps it has something to do with how long you wait before saying the next sentence? nope that's not it.
Looks like only new paragraphs get capitalized.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out anything about this yet? I have noticed it also and can't seem to get my capitalization back.

I've noticed it as well. I'm also having trouble getting speech to text to work at all in the default text app. It just doesn't want to turn on.

irishogrady

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just posted this elsewhere, but I thought it might be worth mentioning it again. I turned off both my Wi-Fi and carrier data so that my phone was forced to use the offline speech recognition. It worked flawlessly. As soon as I used either Wi-Fi or my carrier again, it fails to capitalize the first word. To me that points to something on Google's side is going awry as the voice recognition is chewing on the input. I contacted them today but go no where with the level 1 rep. Does anyone know of a good way to reach someone at Google that might take an interest?

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
After searching and searching, I found a way to contact the Google developers. Here's a link to a form that you can fill out. I am hoping I will get a response. Maybe if all of us submit the same issue, they will fix it. Fingers crossed because it's driving me crazy. It's so frustrating when something works fine one day and then not the next and I didn't change anything. Grrrrr!

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/otherbugs

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, that was a bust. That's not even correct, right? It is a Google product, at least I thought it was.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Google Play Support. The Speech to Text feature is an ability of the device. As such it is not covered within Google Play's Scope of Support. We recommend contacting your device manufacturer for support with this issue. You'll be able to reach the manufacturer of your device here:

1 (800) 726-7864

I hope I was able to direct you to the team that can help you with this issue, but please let me know if you have any other questions about Google Play. I'd also like to let you know to expect a short anonymous survey about your support experience in the next few days; we keep trying to find ways to improve our customer support, and your feedback will definitely help.

Thanks,

Ty
The Google Play Support Team

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could remember what it says, but when it won't work, like the poster above stated, it says something in the screen about 'Google *something* isn't available right now or something like that. If anyone knows what it says, please chime in so I can tell the Google person that it IS their product.

irishogrady

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My auto-capitalization starting working again late yesterday and I didn't do a thing. So I'm guessing that Google finally took care of whatever went wrong around July 11th or 12th when it first broke. I hope it stays working...

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Alrighty! I hadn't used it today and voila! It is working again. I think it's quite a scary thought that they fixed it and we didn't have to do anything to make it work again without some sort of update. Hmmmm. Oh, well. I am happy nonetheless! Thank you everyone for posting and trying to figure this out. Much appreciated!

Benny Lane

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Default is Google voice recognition and with it the automatic space and first letter Caps after saying "period" can both go away if you do not have Sync enabled in the status bar.

lavallie

May 28, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung is having the same problem. Example of the voice input below.
Testing voice input. Does the cap work now. it appears to.
Now let's try it again. seems to be intermittent

1Judiann

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Suddenly (no updates were done that I know of) it will no longer capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Keyboard does but not speech to text. Version is 4.1.2. I don't see anything in the settings to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? Very annoying. Any help is appreciated.

I certainly hope you get a reply. I.suffer the same frustration!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

K Gee

Aug 16, 2018
Visit site
I just recalled that I recently turned on my power saving. After reading this thread, I turned it off and now the capitalization works again.

This is all typed with speech to text. A little disappointing.... guess you can't have it all.

frjaldomr

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site
Having this problem in 2018 - 2019.
The issue began for me about six months ago on a Motorola Droid turbo 2, and now I have a new Samsung j7 with the same problem.
When I initially say the sentence the first word is capitalized, but then voice-to-text goes back and un capitalizes the first word of the sentence.