Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrDoh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any experience with Greenify App?

Ran into this battery saver app in xda-developers forum, requires phone to be rooted:

[APP][3.1+] Greenify *ROOT* v1.9 beta 4 (Updated on Jul.12) - xda-developers

It's an interesting one. I've "greenified" everything I could manage, including Chrome, Maps, and Gmail (I don't want notifications for gmail). Haven't decided if I'm keeping it yet, but I use my phone differently from most, I think. In order to greenify a system app like Maps or Gmail, you need to convert it to a user app first (I used Titanium Backup to do that). Just a note that my phone is rooted, so all these options are available. That's what originally got me interested in Greenify, since I have kept Maps frozen until I need it due to its background activity when I don't need it. Greenify should hibernate Maps when I don't need it, so there should be little or no cost to not having it frozen, and I don't have to make a side trip to defrost it to use if *smile*. I like that.

Anyways, as well as sharing information about this app, I was wondering if anyone else here had tried it, and what their experience with it has been?

Thanks.
    Thanked by 2:
    eibbed0001 likes this.

Default Re: Any experience with Greenify App?

Greenify is simply awesome. It worked both on my Xperia Ray and Galaxy Note II.
    When I got my Galaxy Note II the battery would have just died if it was turned on on 7 hours, but now, it can stand a few days with minimal usage!

ROM
    Liberty 3 2.0

I love the app. You notice a difference with battery life instantly! Minimal and easy to use UI.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock rooted

I just did a bit of research and then installed it. Looks promising. Thanks for the recommendation - so far it's working well.
    You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I've been working with Greenify occasionally for a while now, on 1.95 Beta 5. Now have Google Maps, Google Play Services, Google Search, Chrome, GMail, and several others greenified. Really helps my battery usage. I would like to greenify the Media app, runs every boot and occasionally after that, and all I have on my phone are some pictures. No movies, no music, etc., very little media other than the pictures. And I don't take many pictures. So I could run the Media app manually once a week or after taking pictures, and that would be enough. But I don't see how to do that one, since it doesn't seem to be available in Titanium Backup to make it into a user app and run it.

Oh well. Still, battery usage is much better since starting with it. I'm reluctant to install the Xposed framework due to its pervasiveness, though I may get there at some point.

Also ran into this, which I found helpful:

[GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Idle - xda-developers

I haven't gone as far as Greenifying Google's own apps, but have found Greenify to be helpful in shutting down apps that either sit idly in memory (e.g. Pandora and Tune-In Radio) or poorly-written apps that misbehave (e.g. Yahoo Mail, where I tell it to not sync and it still does). So far so good!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

hi there, can I ask how you greenfied Google play services?

everytime I place it in Greenify it is no longer there the next time I look and is still draining my battery.