Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Default Latest Google Maps Update Crashes (a lot)

Since I installed the latest Google Maps update a couple of weeks ago it has crashed on me 20+ times. Prior to the update I can't remember the last time it had a problem. If I get a text during the time I'm using maps (whether I look at it or not) or if the screen goes to sleep, the app will halt.

I don't think that it can be this bad for everyone, otherwise I would see a lot more posts about it, but is anyone else experiencing a high number of crashes with the new update? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix the issue.

Default Re: Latest Google Maps Update Crashes (a lot)

Been having the exact same problem. I am rooted and using CM10.1 Will be interested to know if there is a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by barthawk View Post
    Since I installed the latest Google Maps update a couple of weeks ago it has crashed on me 20+ times. Prior to the update I can't remember the last time it had a problem. If I get a text during the time I'm using maps (whether I look at it or not) or if the screen goes to sleep, the app will halt.

I don't think that it can be this bad for everyone, otherwise I would see a lot more posts about it, but is anyone else experiencing a high number of crashes with the new update? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix the issue.

Have you guys tried clearing cache and data in the maps app? If so and didn't help uninstall maps and reinstall from the Playstore.
    Steve

I have also been experiencing the same problem. I also have found that the deletion of Lattitude and the supposed use of Google+ for location sharing not only is inaccurate....drags on my phone. I have a Motorola Razor Maxx. I just reset my phone to the old version of maps to help (it did work) and set it to manual update only (of which I will not update). The location sharing on Google+ is totally worthless. The writer on this update probably can't speak in complete sentences. Google took something that was working and not broken and changed to for totally broken.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I had tried the clear cache before, but I uninstalled the update, cleared the cache and then updated and still had two crashes yesterday on the way home.

I had tried the clear cache before, but I uninstalled the update, cleared the cache and then updated and still had two crashes yesterday on the way home.
    Uninstall the whole app not just the update then download it again.
    Steve

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I can't uninstall the map application. The only option I'm given is "uniinstall updates"

I can't uninstall the map application. The only option I'm given is "uniinstall updates"
    Go into Playstore then search for Google maps then open it. You should see an option there to uninstall.
    Steve

Some of us had Google Maps pre-installed on our phones so we don't get that option.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/sy9epu4e.jpgSome of us had Google Maps pre-installed on our phones so we don't get that option.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4
    OK, download Titanium Backup. It will let you uninstall any app.
    Steve

Titanium Backup will only allow you to do that on rooted phones, right? What about all the normal users out there...

Uninstall the latest update then try reinstalling. Might have just been a bad install. Worse case just uninstall the latest update and run it like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Titanium Backup will only allow you to do that on rooted phones, right? What about all the normal users out there...

Root the device would be what I suggest. Doesn't hurt device, gives you full control, and can be easily "unrooted" if needed.
    Steve

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I liked the functionality of the version prior to the last update and it is a lot more reliable so I'm just going to leaving it with version that came with the last system update from Verizon.

I missed the ability to easily toggle between a preview of your entire route with traffic and the standard navigation view. Very handy for commuting purposes. The new version is much worse at handling notifications like texts and voice calls that come in. It doesn't return automatically to navigation and most of the time you have to restart the whole navigation process from the beginning.

I liked the functionality of the version prior to the last update and it is a lot more reliable so I'm just going to leaving it with version that came with the last system update from Verizon.

I missed the ability to easily toggle between a preview of your entire route with traffic and the standard navigation view. Very handy for commuting purposes. The new version is much worse at handling notifications like texts and voice calls that come in. It doesn't return automatically to navigation and most of the time you have to restart the whole navigation process from the beginning.
    This is the worst experience I've ever had using Android. Never had an app crash constantly and not work from Google.

If I switch to another app after starting my navigation then come back, Google Nav asks for my destination again so I have to start all over. This becomes very sketchy when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by netposer View Post
    This is the worst experience I've ever had using Android. Never had an app crash constantly and not work from Google.

If I switch to another app after starting my navigation then come back, Google Nav asks for my destination again so I have to start all over. This becomes very sketchy when driving.
    How are you coming back in? From recent apps or from notification bar? From notification bar should work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

The problem is that the Navigation/Map app doesn't show up in the notifications bar anymore. You can reenter the app via the recent apps list available from holding down the home button and you won't lose your destination. This is a definite step backwards from previous functionality where it was available from the notification bar or if you access it from the desktop it wouldn't lose the current route.

I agree with netposer's comment. This is the worst upgrade experience I have had with Google.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

My experience so far has been that new software from Google has offered significant improvements and improved functionality. The latest version of Google Maps doesn't fall into that category.

Don't know why it isn't in your notification bar because it still is on my AT&T GS3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

If I had to guess I would say the fact that the app doesn't show up in the notification bar is related to it crashing all the time. I have avoided a factory reset, but I'm guessing there is one coming up in the near future.....

I agree 100% with this post. What an awful update. I moved back to the old one. Is there a way to take Maps off the update list in Google Play? That way I can "Update all" but Maps won't be updated.

They spent years shaping a great navigation only to drop it completely and take major steps backwards with the new navigation. Two things that stand out...

1) Like the above post it's missing the ability to easily toggle between a preview of your entire route with traffic and the standard navigation. It now takes more clicks which is dangerous while driving.

2) Finding alternate routes is HUGE for when traveling on busy freeways like in LA. With 2 clicks on the old Navigation you could see alternate routes and the drive times for each route from where you are currently...the new maps, takes several clicks to get alternate routes and even then it shows you alternate routes starting from the beginning of your trip NOT from where you are.

There are so many other downsides to the new Navigation. I'm actually shocked at Google. They are normally quite good at making things better with updates. The old navigation was one of the main reasons I went with Android vs. an iPhone. I'm just so glad there was a way to roll back.
    barthawk and nhohn2 like this.

Angry Re: Latest Google Maps Update Crashes (a lot)

I agree with everyone here who describes it as the worst upgrade experience ever for their phone, and I am also so shocked that it is one of Google's own flagship apps.

Added to the complaints about it crashing constantly (which is incredibly distracting and dangerous when driving, since it required, in my case a phone reboot, and having to re-enter the destination each time it crashed), and the extra button clicks required to set up your route, AND the fact that if you do anything that causes you to go out of the app to look at something else, it makes you have to re-enter your route info again (seriously, that is Coding 101 - PRESERVE YOUR APPLICATION STATE), is also the fact that the font colours are pastel shades instead of bright colours, which might be prettier but is completely impractical when you're in an "outside" environment like a car, and you can't see what it's saying!

Needless to say, I've uninstalled all updates and gone back to the previous "factory" version that was on the phone. This also means I've had to disable auto-updates in Google Play, but I'm not really crying over that either, because the constant update messages on all my apps (which work just fine as they are thank you!) were annoying me anyway!
    MacBat likes this.

It seems to have gotten a little better but it's still horrible. I get the "No Internet Connection" error half the time even though I'm connected and every other app on my phone works.

Quote Originally Posted by bjranson View Post
    I agree with everyone here who describes it as the worst upgrade experience ever for their phone, and I am also so shocked that it is one of Google's own flagship apps.

Added to the complaints about it crashing constantly (which is incredibly distracting and dangerous when driving, since it required, in my case a phone reboot, and having to re-enter the destination each time it crashed), and the extra button clicks required to set up your route, AND the fact that if you do anything that causes you to go out of the app to look at something else, it makes you have to re-enter your route info again (seriously, that is Coding 101 - PRESERVE YOUR APPLICATION STATE), is also the fact that the font colours are pastel shades instead of bright colours, which might be prettier but is completely impractical when you're in an "outside" environment like a car, and you can't see what it's saying!

Needless to say, I've uninstalled all updates and gone back to the previous "factory" version that was on the phone. This also means I've had to disable auto-updates in Google Play, but I'm not really crying over that either, because the constant update messages on all my apps (which work just fine as they are thank you!) were annoying me anyway!

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Yeah, it's a really terrible update. I bought a phone with a hardware menu button so I can use said hardware menu button...but this ridiculous app doesn't even allow that! They also made the on screen menu button microscopic. Why won't it cache my maps anymore? WHY don't they have the option to have the plus, minus zoom buttons? I know the trick for double tap, up - down, but the zoom buttons are much easier while driving.

I think they've finally fixed the crashing with version 7.0.2 V2 from August 14th, though I haven't actually navigated with it. They removed "Local" and replaced it with that precariously difficult to access what's nearby bar --- that works sometimes (quite well in Nashville, TN, not at all in Albany, GA). I did another local style search for a gas station in Charlotte, NC, and it tried to get me to drive 25 minutes across Charlotte when there are probably 100 gas stations between my location and that station (and two literally .2 miles away --- so we'll say it sorta works in Charlotte, NC). Pre 7.0 versions never lost GPS signal, but this one does quite easily. I am happy I downloaded the latest pre 7.0 version of maps so I can yet again have reliable and intuitive navigation.

I have little confidence in the new Google maps and a recent trip from Massapequa Long Island to LaGuardia airport had us fearing we would miss our plane.
    Several times along the route the guidance would stall and when I'd check our progress I would see "resume" on the screen,which I had to tap.
    At one point, at a difficult interchange we weren't warned to bear in the correct direction and wound up heading for the Throgs Neck Bridge - not sure which bridge we went over, but we went way out of the way crossing two bridges, tolls for which were $15 and got tied up in morning rush hour Bruckner Blvd. traffic.
    I am uninstalling maps and reinstalling as has been suggested here and hope that helps Maps perform more accurately.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast