Latest Google Maps Update Crashes (a lot)

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Since I installed the latest Google Maps update a couple of weeks ago it has crashed on me 20+ times. Prior to the update I can't remember the last time it had a problem. If I get a text during the time I'm using maps (whether I look at it or not) or if the screen goes to sleep, the app will halt.

I don't think that it can be this bad for everyone, otherwise I would see a lot more posts about it, but is anyone else experiencing a high number of crashes with the new update? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix the issue.

MrWinner77

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Been having the exact same problem. I am rooted and using CM10.1 Will be interested to know if there is a fix.

Since I installed the latest Google Maps update a couple of weeks ago it has crashed on me 20+ times. Prior to the update I can't remember the last time it had a problem. If I get a text during the time I'm using maps (whether I look at it or not) or if the screen goes to sleep, the app will halt.

I don't think that it can be this bad for everyone, otherwise I would see a lot more posts about it, but is anyone else experiencing a high number of crashes with the new update? I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix the issue.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys tried clearing cache and data in the maps app? If so and didn't help uninstall maps and reinstall from the Playstore.

llee780

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have also been experiencing the same problem. I also have found that the deletion of Lattitude and the supposed use of Google+ for location sharing not only is inaccurate....drags on my phone. I have a Motorola Razor Maxx. I just reset my phone to the old version of maps to help (it did work) and set it to manual update only (of which I will not update). The location sharing on Google+ is totally worthless. The writer on this update probably can't speak in complete sentences. Google took something that was working and not broken and changed to for totally broken.

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I had tried the clear cache before, but I uninstalled the update, cleared the cache and then updated and still had two crashes yesterday on the way home.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sy9epu4e.jpg
Some of us had Google Maps pre-installed on our phones so we don't get that option.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup will only allow you to do that on rooted phones, right? What about all the normal users out there...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Uninstall the latest update then try reinstalling. Might have just been a bad install. Worse case just uninstall the latest update and run it like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Titanium Backup will only allow you to do that on rooted phones, right? What about all the normal users out there...

Root the device would be what I suggest. Doesn't hurt device, gives you full control, and can be easily "unrooted" if needed.

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I liked the functionality of the version prior to the last update and it is a lot more reliable so I'm just going to leaving it with version that came with the last system update from Verizon.

I missed the ability to easily toggle between a preview of your entire route with traffic and the standard navigation view. Very handy for commuting purposes. The new version is much worse at handling notifications like texts and voice calls that come in. It doesn't return automatically to navigation and most of the time you have to restart the whole navigation process from the beginning.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I liked the functionality of the version prior to the last update and it is a lot more reliable so I'm just going to leaving it with version that came with the last system update from Verizon.

I missed the ability to easily toggle between a preview of your entire route with traffic and the standard navigation view. Very handy for commuting purposes. The new version is much worse at handling notifications like texts and voice calls that come in. It doesn't return automatically to navigation and most of the time you have to restart the whole navigation process from the beginning.

This is the worst experience I've ever had using Android. Never had an app crash constantly and not work from Google.

If I switch to another app after starting my navigation then come back, Google Nav asks for my destination again so I have to start all over. This becomes very sketchy when driving.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is the worst experience I've ever had using Android. Never had an app crash constantly and not work from Google.

If I switch to another app after starting my navigation then come back, Google Nav asks for my destination again so I have to start all over. This becomes very sketchy when driving.

How are you coming back in? From recent apps or from notification bar? From notification bar should work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the Navigation/Map app doesn't show up in the notifications bar anymore. You can reenter the app via the recent apps list available from holding down the home button and you won't lose your destination. This is a definite step backwards from previous functionality where it was available from the notification bar or if you access it from the desktop it wouldn't lose the current route.

I agree with netposer's comment. This is the worst upgrade experience I have had with Google.

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
My experience so far has been that new software from Google has offered significant improvements and improved functionality. The latest version of Google Maps doesn't fall into that category.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't know why it isn't in your notification bar because it still is on my AT&T GS3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
If I had to guess I would say the fact that the app doesn't show up in the notification bar is related to it crashing all the time. I have avoided a factory reset, but I'm guessing there is one coming up in the near future.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund