Accessing Google through Ford Sync

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know how to access their phone through Ford Sync? I can access it fine to dial a phone number by saying "phone... call ..." What I can't figure out is how to navigate somewhere by voice using google npw. The problem I run into is that If I bring up google now (or whatever it's called) and click on the microphone, it won't listen since Bluetooth isn't active. I have to turn off Bluetooth, give my command through the phone and then turn Bluetooth back on. Thanks for your help.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you search for "car" and "bluetooth" you'll find a whole raft of issues similar to yours.

I don't have a car with bluetooth so I can only pass along what I've read here:
- have you updated the firmware in your car?
- did you check to be sure you have the correct profile (A2DP?) configured in the car?
- have you tried removing the car and repairing?
- what happens if you use S Voice instead of Google Now?
- do you have Driving Mode enabled?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If you search for "car" and "bluetooth" you'll find a whole raft of issues similar to yours.

I don't have a car with bluetooth so I can only pass along what I've read here:
- have you updated the firmware in your car?
- did you check to be sure you have the correct profile (A2DP?) configured in the car?
- have you tried removing the car and repairing?
- what happens if you use S Voice instead of Google Now?
- do you have Driving Mode enabled?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks, I don't think there is anything wrong, I just don't know how to access the phone so I can use s voice or Google now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Assuming that your car is connected via bluetooth and recognizes a command like "call Mom", have you tried the equivalent command for navigation "driving directions to Olive Garden"?

Have you tried other voice commands?
- "send SMS to Mom Happy Birthday"
- "play Pet Sounds"
- "what's this song"

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Assuming that your car is connected via bluetooth and recognizes a command like "call Mom", have you tried the equivalent command for navigation "driving directions to Olive Garden"?

Have you tried other voice commands?
- "send SMS to Mom Happy Birthday"
- "play Pet Sounds"
- "what's this song"

I also have ford sync and unfortunately all commands go through sync and sync itself does all the heavy lifting so youre pretty much limited to the available commands that sync has (basic commands such as "play music" or "call___").

That being said, did you try to set up some sort of dock with a wakelock and charger so you can acess the google now button anytime and just press it to acess google?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I also have ford sync and unfortunately all commands go through sync and sync itself does all the heavy lifting so youre pretty much limited to the available commands that sync has (basic commands such as "play music" or "call___").

That being said, did you try to set up some sort of dock with a wakelock and charger so you can acess the google now button anytime and just press it to acess google?

Thanks. That kind of sucks. I wouldn't mind not going through the car Bluetooth but it takes over and doesn't let me use the phone. Its like Bluetooth is locked in and I can't use it. If I click on the microphone it never "listens" unless I turn Bluetooth off. I'm sorry I'm doing a crappy job explaining this.

Posted via Android Central App

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Greetings,

I too have a Ford with Sync and have to agree with the above. I have yet to let it allow me to do anything that the Sync doesn't recognize. It will perform basic commands such as "call ____" but that is only if you have downloaded your phone book into the car. Otherwise I feel it is pretty limited. There are supposed to be phones that will allow you to send SMS messages via Sync but I have yet to come across one (neither my GS3 or my wife's Iphone will do it and none of the other phones in the family either). Also depending on what year your car was made, Sync has made some very significant changes over the years and operates very differently depending on what iteration you have.

So unfortunately with the bluetooth connected you are limited to what the car system does and not what the phone can do :( at least from what I have found in my car manual as well as what my experience has been with our car.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Greetings,

I too have a Ford with Sync and have to agree with the above. I have yet to let it allow me to do anything that the Sync doesn't recognize. It will perform basic commands such as "call ____" but that is only if you have downloaded your phone book into the car. Otherwise I feel it is pretty limited. There are supposed to be phones that will allow you to send SMS messages via Sync but I have yet to come across one (neither my GS3 or my wife's Iphone will do it and none of the other phones in the family either). Also depending on what year your car was made, Sync has made some very significant changes over the years and operates very differently depending on what iteration you have.

So unfortunately with the bluetooth connected you are limited to what the car system does and not what the phone can do :( at least from what I have found in my car manual as well as what my experience has been with our car.

Thanks. I think I really need to play around with this. Somehow yesterday I said "Bluetooth audio" accessed Google now and was able to use my voice to navigate. Today I couldn't plus Google maps kept crashing.

Posted via Android Central App

rexster314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Greetings,

. There are supposed to be phones that will allow you to send SMS messages via Sync but I have yet to come across one (neither my GS3 or my wife's Iphone will do it and none of the other phones in the family either). .

I don't know what version of Sync you have (MFT/MLT or earlier) but I'm able to download SMS to my 2012 Expedition and if I'm 5 mph or slower can send "canned" sms messages out through my Galaxy S3 on Verizon. You have to have MAP enabled in your phone settings on Sync.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
You can do it. If you go into settings/language and input/ voice search then enable Bluetooth headset you can access Google Now voice commands. You still have to initiate it from the phone directly, but you can then dictate using the car microphone over bluetooth.

The only thing I've found frustrating has been on my Droid2 I could have SYNC read my texts. It doesn't do it with the S3.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what version of Sync you have (MFT/MLT or earlier) but I'm able to download SMS to my 2012 Expedition and if I'm 5 mph or slower can send "canned" sms messages out through my Galaxy S3 on Verizon. You have to have MAP enabled in your phone settings on Sync.

That is good to know! I will have to give it a try. I have a 2010 Ford Explorer and I don't know off the top of my head what version of Sync it is, but I will mess around with it more to see if it works. Thank for the tip!

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You can do it. If you go into settings/language and input/ voice search then enable Bluetooth headset you can access Google Now voice commands. You still have to initiate it from the phone directly, but you can then dictate using the car microphone over bluetooth.

The only thing I've found frustrating has been on my Droid2 I could have SYNC read my texts. It doesn't do it with the S3.

Thanks, I'll give this a try tomorrow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante