Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Well, the title pretty much states the problem. I just recently noticed this issue. If I try to send MMS, it acts like its going to send but then the mobile data icon goes away. If I turn off wifi while its trying to send, it still won't send it. I have to delete the message, then resend it with the wifi off before I attempt to send it. Any fixes for this?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Same issue. I am using Go SMS but it does it with the stock android messaging app as well.

    GS4 from Google Play store
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Yes, that's true, you have to have cellular/mobile data on to use MMS. That's just the way it is.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Yep. Verizon treats data and text messages differently. If you have mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on you can't send text messages. Nothing wrong with your phone. It just beez that way

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by socialillz View Post
    Yep. Verizon treats data and text messages differently. If you have mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on you can't send text messages. Nothing wrong with your phone. It just beez that way

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    I get that but my mobile data and WiFi were both on. The 3g/4g signal would pop up like it was trying to send it then it would go away and i would just get the spinning circle.

    It seems to be working now.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,682 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by socialillz View Post
    Yep. Verizon treats data and text messages differently. If you have mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on you can't send text messages. Nothing wrong with your phone. It just beez that way

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    ALMOST Correct.

    SMS does not require a data signal.

    MMS does require a data signal whether or not you're connected to WiFi. Those always get sent over the carrier's data network.

    With Mobile Data off you can send and receive SMS no issue. The phone will only actually send/receive MMS when mobile data is available again, and pop up a message stating such when you attempt to send one.

    MMS should send/receive over the data network with WiFi on and connected. If that's failing then that's an issue, but I haven't seen it at all thus far. The phone will simply send it using the data connection (and not WiFi) while other things continue working as they should.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    ALMOST Correct.

    SMS does not require a data signal.

    MMS does require a data signal whether or not you're connected to WiFi. Those always get sent over the carrier's data network.

    With Mobile Data off you can send and receive SMS no issue. The phone will only actually send/receive MMS when mobile data is available again, and pop up a message stating such when you attempt to send one.

    MMS should send/receive over the data network with WiFi on and connected. If that's failing then that's an issue, but I haven't seen it at all thus far. The phone will simply send it using the data connection (and not WiFi) while other things continue working as they should.
    First, forgive me for resurrecting an old post. But this has bothered me long enough.

    It seems to me that wi-fi is indeed used for MMS texts. This is based on a simple observation that my MMS texts send/receive MUCH faster when I'm connected to wi-fi, as compared to my 3G connection when wi-fi is off. My old Android (4.1.something) used to NOT dl MMS texts when I was on wi-fi at work (I had to manually turn off wi-fi and force a dl through 3g/4g), but would have no problem downloading them when I was on my home wi-fi. If I had a data connection at both places, why would it not automatically download them at work? Then suddenly, MMS at work started to work. I don't believe there was an update to my phone, so I suspect that the 'open' wi-fi network at work had some settings changed to be more 'open'. My new Moto G is 3G only, and is slow for data. Sending/receiving MMS texts is a noticeable process when I'm not on wi-fi. When I am on wi-fi, it's almost instantaneous.

    I'm open to being educated on this, so please correct me if I've drawn false conclusions.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    My data is turned off, but I'm on my home wifi and mms keeps failing saying Mobile data is disabled. Wtf

    Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by kirksucks View Post
    My data is turned off, but I'm on my home wifi and mms keeps failing saying Mobile data is disabled. Wtf
    What part of the error message is unclear? I don't know where the poster immediately above you got his information, but as long as I've been on Verizon I've never been able to send/receive MMS (using the stock Messaging app) using a Wi-Fi connection: Mobile data must be turned on for that to work.

    The MMS specification makes it seem like a Mobile data connection isn't required ("MMS does not utilize one's own operator maintained data plan to distribute multimedia content. Operator maintained data plans are only used when message included links (if any) are explicitly clicked." ) but if you read further you'll see this statement ("The recipient receives the MMS notification message. It then initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity (usually over GPRS)." ) and if you look at the GPRS definition you'll see ("The GPRS core network is the central part of the general packet radio service(GPRS) which allows 2G, 3G and WCDMA mobile networks to transmit IP packets to external networks such as the Internet. The GPRS system is an integrated part of the GSM network switching subsystem." ) which makes it clear that you have to have a Mobile data connection. YMMV

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    I have to say that this is not true my wife is able to send images in text messages (MMS) over WIFI with data turned off on her LG G2. She proved it to me after I complained that my Motorola phone was unable to send a MMS with data turned off. I had to turn my data on to receive the message she sent with data turned off on her phone.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by DLCherry View Post
    I have to say that this is not true my wife is able to send images in text messages (MMS) over WIFI with data turned off on her LG G2. She proved it to me after I complained that my Motorola phone was unable to send a MMS with data turned off. I had to turn my data on to receive the message she sent with data turned off on her phone.
    If you read my post you would have seen this: "The MMS specification makes it seem like a Mobile data connection isn't required", so for all I know there are differences in implementation between different carriers, or perhaps even different handsets (dumbphones can send/receive MMS without a Mobile data connection).

    All I can say for sure is that every smartphone I've had (Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy S3) on Verizon has required me to have Mobile data enabled in order to send/receive MMS - YMMV.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Some people need to be slapped upside the head sometimes.
    Listen up folks. MMS uses mobile data to send Multimedia files.

    AC App on SGS3
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    I've never had to try to send an MMS without my data on. I figured wifi would cover it. I never knew or cared or needed to know until I used up my 2 gig allowance for the month and was using only WIfi. Tried to send MMS and it kept failing. I dunno seemed like an honest question.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    I totally agree with this! Up until a month or so ago I was able to send/receive mms/group messages with Wi-Fi only! Then it stopped working! Verizon says that's not possible but uh I've been doing it since I got my Motorola Droid! So I think it's just the carrier wanting us to use our data so we'll have to buy more! Makes me furious! My daughter and son have an iPhone and are on my family plan and they do NOT have to have their data turned on to send or receive picture messages/group messages!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    I have a Bauhn (bought from Aldi) phone, sending and receiving MMS with MOBILE DATA OFF works fine. There is a tick box on this phone to select 'only send/receive MMS using wifi'.

    Now I have a Samsung S3. This phone insists on using mobile data for MMS retrieval and sending, which is costing me 24cents every time (on prepaid plan). I am quite disappointed in the Samsung technology compared to the cheaper Bauhn (bought from Aldi).

    SURELY MODERN TECHNOLOGY CAN HANDLE THIS BETTER.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Has nothing to do with the phone. It is your carrier that controls if it needs Mobile Data.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    I'm on ATT w LG G Flex. NEVER been able to send MMS without data on. Will NOT send via WIFI.

    Message reads, "Currently unable to send your message. It will be sent when the service becomes available."

    However a standard SMS text sends no matter if WIFI on, off, data on or off, so long as my service is active.

    BUT--my GF with LG G2 sends and receives MMS with only WIFI on, or data on!

    WTF is going on!??

    SO maddening. I feel so annoyed I must turn on data to send a damn text message w a pic attached. Why do I have to pull down my menu, click on "data" , then click again to stop my data flow and save data?

    For the record, there are so many contradictions in what has been stated above by various commenters that I can't keep track of which one is correct. NONE fit my issue.

    And why would there be a difference between carriers?? It should be a technical problem ONLY-- maybe it's just my phone?

    Posted via the Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by bgarcia17 View Post
    First, forgive me for resurrecting an old post. But this has bothered me long enough.

    It seems to me that wi-fi is indeed used for MMS texts. This is based on a simple observation that my MMS texts send/receive MUCH faster when I'm connected to wi-fi, as compared to my 3G connection when wi-fi is off. My old Android (4.1.something) used to NOT dl MMS texts when I was on wi-fi at work (I had to manually turn off wi-fi and force a dl through 3g/4g), but would have no problem downloading them when I was on my home wi-fi. If I had a data connection at both places, why would it not automatically download them at work? Then suddenly, MMS at work started to work. I don't believe there was an update to my phone, so I suspect that the 'open' wi-fi network at work had some settings changed to be more 'open'. My new Moto G is 3G only, and is slow for data. Sending/receiving MMS texts is a noticeable process when I'm not on wi-fi. When I am on wi-fi, it's almost instantaneous.

    I'm open to being educated on this, so please correct me if I've drawn false conclusions.
    ***???? I agree completly, even better I've done it for years on different phones even 1st with SG3, then HTC ONE M8. I never have my mobile data switched 'ON' while I am at home or somewhere else with WIFI. I've never had an issue with MMS or anything else I've ever done with my phone not working because the 'Mobile Data' was turned off until now. I just picked up my new SG S6 and it worked 1 week or so but now I cannot recieve/send MMS unless 'Mobile Data' is on. So what has changed in the new phone and how do I fix it... I have always used WIFI and it worked and was always faster???
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Turn on Roaming Auto-retrieve.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

    Thanks AndrewGray85. That worked with Go SMS Pro. It now complains twice about no data connection then sends via wifi. This issue has been bugging me for a long time, since I'm cheap and don't have much need for data!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2015, 09:17 AM
  2. DROID Maxx Pre-Order on Wirefly.
    By B-RAN in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 240
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM
  3. WIFI Authentication Error for home wifi
    By sandyc24pa in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM
  5. Rattle sound when phone is shaked
    By ramonbn in forum LG Optimus G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions