Can't Send MMS when on WiFi.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, the title pretty much states the problem. I just recently noticed this issue. If I try to send MMS, it acts like its going to send but then the mobile data icon goes away. If I turn off wifi while its trying to send, it still won't send it. I have to delete the message, then resend it with the wifi off before I attempt to send it. Any fixes for this?

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Verizon treats data and text messages differently. If you have mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on you can't send text messages. Nothing wrong with your phone. It just beez that way

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Verizon treats data and text messages differently. If you have mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on you can't send text messages. Nothing wrong with your phone. It just beez that way

I get that but my mobile data and WiFi were both on. The 3g/4g signal would pop up like it was trying to send it then it would go away and i would just get the spinning circle.

It seems to be working now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AC Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

ALMOST Correct.

SMS does not require a data signal.

MMS does require a data signal whether or not you're connected to WiFi. Those always get sent over the carrier's data network.

With Mobile Data off you can send and receive SMS no issue. The phone will only actually send/receive MMS when mobile data is available again, and pop up a message stating such when you attempt to send one.

MMS should send/receive over the data network with WiFi on and connected. If that's failing then that's an issue, but I haven't seen it at all thus far. The phone will simply send it using the data connection (and not WiFi) while other things continue working as they should.

bgarcia17

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
ALMOST Correct.

SMS does not require a data signal.

MMS does require a data signal whether or not you're connected to WiFi. Those always get sent over the carrier's data network.

With Mobile Data off you can send and receive SMS no issue. The phone will only actually send/receive MMS when mobile data is available again, and pop up a message stating such when you attempt to send one.

MMS should send/receive over the data network with WiFi on and connected. If that's failing then that's an issue, but I haven't seen it at all thus far. The phone will simply send it using the data connection (and not WiFi) while other things continue working as they should.

First, forgive me for resurrecting an old post. But this has bothered me long enough. :)

It seems to me that wi-fi is indeed used for MMS texts. This is based on a simple observation that my MMS texts send/receive MUCH faster when I'm connected to wi-fi, as compared to my 3G connection when wi-fi is off. My old Android (4.1.something) used to NOT dl MMS texts when I was on wi-fi at work (I had to manually turn off wi-fi and force a dl through 3g/4g), but would have no problem downloading them when I was on my home wi-fi. If I had a data connection at both places, why would it not automatically download them at work? Then suddenly, MMS at work started to work. I don't believe there was an update to my phone, so I suspect that the 'open' wi-fi network at work had some settings changed to be more 'open'. My new Moto G is 3G only, and is slow for data. Sending/receiving MMS texts is a noticeable process when I'm not on wi-fi. When I am on wi-fi, it's almost instantaneous.

I'm open to being educated on this, so please correct me if I've drawn false conclusions.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My data is turned off, but I'm on my home wifi and mms keeps failing saying Mobile data is disabled. Wtf

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My data is turned off, but I'm on my home wifi and mms keeps failing saying Mobile data is disabled. Wtf
What part of the error message is unclear? I don't know where the poster immediately above you got his information, but as long as I've been on Verizon I've never been able to send/receive MMS (using the stock Messaging app) using a Wi-Fi connection: Mobile data must be turned on for that to work.

The MMS specification makes it seem like a Mobile data connection isn't required ("MMS does not utilize one's own operator maintained data plan to distribute multimedia content. Operator maintained data plans are only used when message included links (if any) are explicitly clicked." ) but if you read further you'll see this statement ("The recipient receives the MMS notification message. It then initiates a data connection that provides TCP/IP network connectivity (usually over GPRS)." ) and if you look at the GPRS definition you'll see ("The GPRS core network is the central part of the general packet radio service(GPRS) which allows 2G, 3G and WCDMA mobile networks to transmit IP packets to external networks such as the Internet. The GPRS system is an integrated part of the GSM network switching subsystem." ) which makes it clear that you have to have a Mobile data connection. YMMV

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

DLCherry

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that this is not true my wife is able to send images in text messages (MMS) over WIFI with data turned off on her LG G2. She proved it to me after I complained that my Motorola phone was unable to send a MMS with data turned off. I had to turn my data on to receive the message she sent with data turned off on her phone.:-\

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that this is not true my wife is able to send images in text messages (MMS) over WIFI with data turned off on her LG G2. She proved it to me after I complained that my Motorola phone was unable to send a MMS with data turned off. I had to turn my data on to receive the message she sent with data turned off on her phone.:-\
If you read my post you would have seen this: "The MMS specification makes it seem like a Mobile data connection isn't required", so for all I know there are differences in implementation between different carriers, or perhaps even different handsets (dumbphones can send/receive MMS without a Mobile data connection).

All I can say for sure is that every smartphone I've had (Droid Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy S3) on Verizon has required me to have Mobile data enabled in order to send/receive MMS - YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Some people need to be slapped upside the head sometimes.
Listen up folks. MMS uses mobile data to send Multimedia files.

AC App on SGS3

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've never had to try to send an MMS without my data on. I figured wifi would cover it. I never knew or cared or needed to know until I used up my 2 gig allowance for the month and was using only WIfi. Tried to send MMS and it kept failing. I dunno seemed like an honest question.

wings4tt

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with this! Up until a month or so ago I was able to send/receive mms/group messages with Wi-Fi only! Then it stopped working! Verizon says that's not possible but uh I've been doing it since I got my Motorola Droid! So I think it's just the carrier wanting us to use our data so we'll have to buy more! Makes me furious! My daughter and son have an iPhone and are on my family plan and they do NOT have to have their data turned on to send or receive picture messages/group messages!

JenGM

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Bauhn (bought from Aldi) phone, sending and receiving MMS with MOBILE DATA OFF works fine. There is a tick box on this phone to select 'only send/receive MMS using wifi'.

Now I have a Samsung S3. This phone insists on using mobile data for MMS retrieval and sending, which is costing me 24cents every time (on prepaid plan). I am quite disappointed in the Samsung technology compared to the cheaper Bauhn (bought from Aldi).

SURELY MODERN TECHNOLOGY CAN HANDLE THIS BETTER.

Tim Mantyla

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm on ATT w LG G Flex. NEVER been able to send MMS without data on. Will NOT send via WIFI.

Message reads, "Currently unable to send your message. It will be sent when the service becomes available."

However a standard SMS text sends no matter if WIFI on, off, data on or off, so long as my service is active.

BUT--my GF with LG G2 sends and receives MMS with only WIFI on, or data on!

WTF is going on!??

SO maddening. I feel so annoyed I must turn on data to send a damn text message w a pic attached. Why do I have to pull down my menu, click on "data" , then click again to stop my data flow and save data?

For the record, there are so many contradictions in what has been stated above by various commenters that I can't keep track of which one is correct. NONE fit my issue.

And why would there be a difference between carriers?? It should be a technical problem ONLY-- maybe it's just my phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

hkaci75

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
First, forgive me for resurrecting an old post. But this has bothered me long enough. :)

It seems to me that wi-fi is indeed used for MMS texts. This is based on a simple observation that my MMS texts send/receive MUCH faster when I'm connected to wi-fi, as compared to my 3G connection when wi-fi is off. My old Android (4.1.something) used to NOT dl MMS texts when I was on wi-fi at work (I had to manually turn off wi-fi and force a dl through 3g/4g), but would have no problem downloading them when I was on my home wi-fi. If I had a data connection at both places, why would it not automatically download them at work? Then suddenly, MMS at work started to work. I don't believe there was an update to my phone, so I suspect that the 'open' wi-fi network at work had some settings changed to be more 'open'. My new Moto G is 3G only, and is slow for data. Sending/receiving MMS texts is a noticeable process when I'm not on wi-fi. When I am on wi-fi, it's almost instantaneous.

I'm open to being educated on this, so please correct me if I've drawn false conclusions.

***???? I agree completly, even better I've done it for years on different phones even 1st with SG3, then HTC ONE M8. I never have my mobile data switched 'ON' while I am at home or somewhere else with WIFI. I've never had an issue with MMS or anything else I've ever done with my phone not working because the 'Mobile Data' was turned off until now. I just picked up my new SG S6 and it worked 1 week or so but now I cannot recieve/send MMS unless 'Mobile Data' is on. So what has changed in the new phone and how do I fix it... I have always used WIFI and it worked and was always faster???

JoeEndUser

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks AndrewGray85. That worked with Go SMS Pro. It now complains twice about no data connection then sends via wifi. This issue has been bugging me for a long time, since I'm cheap and don't have much need for data!