Widget/shortcut renaming itself

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

I have had Llama installed for over half a year and am using its "widget" functionality (which basically just creates shortcuts) to get my phone out of night mode that Llama automatically starts for me in the evening. For that, I created a Llama "widget" for each of my 4 different profiles/events in a folder in my TouchWiz Desktop, e.g. "Night Mode", "Day Mode", "Silent", etc. This has worked well for me until the last Llama update.

After the update, all 4 icons were renamed to "Llama" which is somewhat useless :) So I deleted them and created them again from scratch.

Then a few days later, the icons changed names again - I have no idea what caused it. Maybe a phone restart. However, I have not made any change to the phone since the last OTA update that was at least one or two months ago.

Yes, I contacted the author of Llama first, and he says it shouldn't have anything to do with Llama but with the launcher that stores the icon information. He also said that technically I didn't create widgets, but shortcuts, and Android just calls them widgets.

My phone is running the regular OS that the phone came with plus any OTA updates. The only changes are a different recovery (CWM - which got fried in the last OTA update, but I haven't had a chance yet to fix that), and root (which survived OTA on my phone, but not on my wife's identical phone, go figure), and both changes were done many months ago.

So my first question is what would cause shortcuts to change their name.

And my next question is how I can manually edit the shortcuts and put their names back to what they were. I'm not afraid of using a text editor to try this (after a backup), but I have no idea where to look for these files.

Also, is this likely to happen again? It would be a pain if I had to make this change every time I reboot the phone, for example...

Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This has worked well for me until the last Llama update.
Seems pretty obvious, regardless of what the Llama developer says. To be fair, though, I couldn't find any similar complaints in the Google Play Store.

Are you using a 3rd party launcher? If so, did it receive an update around the same time?
Are any other shortcuts/widgets changing their names, or just the Llama ones?
Have you tried creating shortcuts that aren't associated with Llama to see if they suddenly change their names?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the default TouchWiz launcher that came with the phone.
Yes, the first time, the icons changed after an update, but the second time they did not (as far as I know - I might have missed another update, but as far as I know, previous updates didn't trigger this).
Llama's are the only shortcuts that got changed.
No, I haven't tried other shortcuts.

PS:
So, can you root a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, too? ;-)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Llama's are the only shortcuts that got changed.
No, I haven't tried other shortcuts.
I'm betting that Llama is doing something to its shortcuts. So just use TouchWiz to create a shortcut to something else and see if the name changes. If it doesn't, take that information and send it to the Llama developer.
Alternately, you could roll back to the previous version of Llama (you may have to contact the developer to get the apk of the previous release) and see if the problem goes away.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae