How to have Wi-Fi automatically turn on?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My mate's S3 used to be able to automatically turn on the Wi-Fi when at home to connects to our network. It hasn't been doing this for some time now and she really liked that ability. I can't figure it out (I don't have an S3 myself), and searching has yielded no help. The only info I can find is a year old and is threads of people asking how to turn that function off. The one set of instructions I found had menu options that aren't showing in my mate's phone.

Was this auto-on function removed with an OS update or something, or are we just not looking in the right place? If not a stock function anymore, are there any 3rd party apps recommended to do this?

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Llama and NFC Task Launcher can both handle this. I'm sure there are other apps out there but I have tried both of these and they work pretty well. I currently use the NFC Task Launcher which you can do a Geo-Fence around certain locations to handle quite a few different tasks.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
When not linked to an access point, the wifi radio uses negligible current in "search" mode - just leave the wifi radio on, when you get in range, it will automatically connect.
Or use something like Tasker and build a script that detects when you're home (via GPS). Again, the GPS radio uses negligible power.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. Since this was originally something the phone did on its own, she liked keeping it that way to maximize battery life.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. Since this was originally something the phone did on its own, she liked keeping it that way to maximize battery life.
Uh, I don't think so. It has always been on, unless you physically turn it off.
Always been automatic.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

schneid

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Tasker's the answer. Create a Task and Profile that turns it on when it sees a desired AP and turns it off when you leave the coverage area.