Need third party texting app -- how to disable carrier text

nhsteno1

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all:

Can anyone recommend a good third-party texting app so that I can avoid the .20 fee every time I send and receive? I'm willing to pay for the app, just not the texts themselves.

Also, can anyone offer detailed instructions on how to disable the Verizon messaging so that it goes through the third-party app only (and doesn't double-message me, thus incurring the above-mentioned charge)?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, all:

Can anyone recommend a good third-party texting app so that I can avoid the .20 fee every time I send and receive? I'm willing to pay for the app, just not the texts themselves.

Also, can anyone offer detailed instructions on how to disable the Verizon messaging so that it goes through the third-party app only (and doesn't double-message me, thus incurring the above-mentioned charge)?

use this messenger. It uses The network connection (3G, LTE, etc) to send messages
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&hl=en
Also go to your stock messaging applications and go to settings and turn notifications off

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
To disable the stock Messaging app, from any Home screen: press the Menu button -> select Settings -> Application manager -> scroll to the right to the ALL tab -> scroll down and select Messaging -> select the Disable button.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

nhsteno1

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Ryandroid! One more quick question: will I avoid charges on ALL incoming texts, regardless of who sends them (esp. those who don't have the app)?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Ryandroid! One more quick question: will I avoid charges on ALL incoming texts, regardless of who sends them (esp. those who don't have the app)?

No. If they text your number. It will go to your stock messaging application.
You might be able to forward messages to this app (not positive)
but in general. Both parties will need to use this application to communicate for free

or you can use google hangouts.... thats what I use. You can video chat, or text anyone who has internet in the world

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, because texting is a cash cow for carriers, they don't make it easy to get around their system. Whatsapp, Google Hangouts, etc. are great if you can get everyone you know on board.

nhsteno1

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aw, rats. I guess all the apps are like that -- have to be installed at both ends. If I could only get a Google Voice number, I could end the madness ... but they parcel those numbers out so carefully in my state that it's pretty much impossible to get one.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad