Picture/Video display through Dish Network Hopper system

MarkinGA

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
At some point, not sure if it was after the last Verizon software push to my GS3 or what, but I happened to stumble on a feature I hadn't seen before. In the Gallery when viewing a picture there was a new icon at the top of the screen that looked like a monitor with a number 4 in the middle of it. Curious I was like what's this? Happened to be watching TV in the living room at the time, as soon as I touched it a list of devices was displayed of which I selected Living Room. Immediately a prompt showed up on my living room flat screen stating a device wanted to connect. I grabbed the remote and acknowledged and whadda ya know the picture on my phone was now displayed on my TV. Experimenting further I was able to play a video as well on the 46 incher. I moved to my bedroom and tried it there as well and same thing. I'll mention at this point that neither my living room or bedroom flat screens are made by Samsung. Have no idea where this new functionality came from or what software provides it, whether it be a JB update or some Samsung update I approved, but at some point the ability to play videos went away with this new icon no longer showing up in Gallery for videos but pictures however could still be displayed. Now just today I've fooled around enough with the media sharing options, DLNA config etc following suggestions I read here in these forums that the"icon" doesn't show up for pictures anymore either. :p

Could someone please enlighten me at to what drives this functionality and how to control it? I've included a couple of snapshots, the first of the icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen and the second screen shot displaying what you get after selecting it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

P.S. Yes, I think that's the U.S.S. Minnow parked in my neighbors yard. :D

Mark

Menu Option.jpg
Option Selected.jpg

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. I think I have the latest update, but I don't see that option. I have Xfinity, but haven't set up my phone to work with Xfinity yet. I have a special cable to connect my S3 to my HD tv, but I wasn't aware of a wireless option like this. I'm interested to find out more about it too!

MarkinGA

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I found the below in the [OFFICIAL] Tips and Tricks Thread. Thinking it was related to my problem I tried the authors suggestions and is what eventually made the "monitor icon" go away entirely for pictures on my message above. :(

42.I have only tested this with Windows Media Player, but I assume any DLNA equipped TV/media device would work. This is great if you want to quickly show a slideshow of photos or play some media file on your tv/computer.1) Go Settings/More Settings/Nearby Devices 2) Turn on file sharing and change any options you'd like. Since I'm on my own my Wifi network, I just disabled access control, otherwise you have to approve every device.3) Start Windows Media Player. Make sure under Stream "Allow Remote Control" is checked. You should see your phone show up under "Other Libraries" in WMP. Mine shows up as [Mobile]SCH-135.4) Go into Gallery and select a picture. If connected properly, in the upper right hand corner there will be a new little icon with a monitor and some arrows. Touch this and it will allow you to select a playback device. 5) Now the picture should show up in a maximized screen in WMP. Sometimes it takes a good 10-20 seconds. Videos take much longer, but they work and what I got was the first frame, followed by a good 20 seconds of a "Processing" notification on the Galaxy S3. When I browsed from WMP to my phone videos, it buffered for a very long time, so this "processing" notification is the buffering taking place. I don't know why DLNA needs such a long time to buffer over a home Wifi network.6) Whenever you change folders you have to click the DLNA icon again and re-select your playback device. Not sure why this is, seems like a bug...Unfortunately I did a little research and there is no way to physically copy files to your computer through DLNA, you'll have to use other methods.Make sure you turn this stuff off when you connect to public Wifi .-sluzbenik

Janet hoyl

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I accidently push a I can an opened up to where I could display photos off by cell phone. don't know if this is a one time thing or I could find out if this would make a showing of a few photos I posted or not. does any one know?