Hangout 2.0

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone got the 2.0 update for hangout on their GS3 yet. My GN2 got the update just fine, and am using it as my default sms app now. My other phone on the account is a GS3. It got a update on the same day as I did, but still shows a build version of 1.2.018

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

snakey#AC

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine is updated to 2.0 but still no text or mms on it. I can't tell any difference in it then it was before the update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I just used the .apk released a couple of days ago and updated... Works fine so I don't need to use playstore

Posted via Android Central App

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm also still waiting. The Play Store says the version is 2.0, but in the app settings it's still 1.2. I'd like to have the update to check it out. I'm still on 1.2 on my Nexus 7 as well which I find equally strange.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Their QA department needs to do a better job:
- in Application manager it's still listed as 'Talk'
- in the app drawer it's named 'Hangouts', but alphabetically it's not with the 'h' apps; it's where the old Talk app would be
If they can't get this right what else might be wrong?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

nashi#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe we'll receive the 2.0 with the 4.3 update that is supposed to be out on 11/22... although I'll be surprised if that date remains firm.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm also still waiting. The Play Store says the version is 2.0, but in the app settings it's still 1.2. I'd like to have the update to check it out. I'm still on 1.2 on my Nexus 7 as well which I find equally strange.

This. ^^^^ I got the apk from a friend for 2.0. The first one locked up my phone, and caused Swype to lag unbearably, this version seems fine. It's not the N5 apk that was ripped from the dump. It's the Playstore version that he got earlier than me. :p

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, they did hit the mark with the S4, so there's some hope there. Aside from that, I think we'll get Hangouts 2.0 when they fix whatever seems to be messed up.

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
None here yet. I have the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10 and haven't received it yet on those devices yet either. I figure they will all come at once.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S 3 - Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Their QA department needs to do a better job:
- in Application manager it's still listed as 'Talk'
- in the app drawer it's named 'Hangouts', but alphabetically it's not with the 'h' apps; it's where the old Talk app would be
If they can't get this right what else might be wrong?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Reboot your phone or clear RAM to force a TW restart, and it will be listed as Hangouts. Same thing sometimes happen if you update or uninstall Samsung Link with the AllShare Play icon in the Application Manager. This has always been the case.

If you're running a Non-TW ROM, then I am not sure whether or not that will help you.

The 2.0 Hangouts is 12.x MB large in Play Store.

The previous version is 10.68MB.

Just cause the description text and pictures have been updated doesn't mean the updated app is available for you.

It's SMS/MMS functionality is pretty terrible, anyways, so unless you were looking for that I wouldn't really get my hopes up too high. If you actually use Hangouts to IM people, then I guess there is reason to be impatient about the update. The Location Sharing and other IM-related Updates (Device Status, Call Status, etc.) may be worth it.

After trying the SMS/MMS I uninstalled it and turned off Auto-Updates again. It isn't even near ready for prime time. The only thing I like, is that for Location Sharing it sends a picture and a Google Maps link. Other than that, you lose a ton of MMS features and it's borderline inconfigurable. It also stops the stock Messaging app from giving notifications or updating the Notification badges on the icon (and Hangouts doesn't support them), so it simply wasn't usable for me. I was thinking about trying to get some people to use Hangouts (or using it with Talk contacts) with Notifications turned off so that I could send Pictures/Location via MMS from within the same app, without having to force it as my default).

It seems using SMS/MMS in Hangouts is an all or nothing decision. While you can still use the Stock SMS/MMS app, you cannot get any notifications from it if Hangouts SMS/MMS is enabled. The feature disparity isn't worth that.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we'll receive the 2.0 with the 4.3 update that is supposed to be out on 11/22... although I'll be surprised if that date remains firm.

It is sad that they'll likely bake this into the 4.3 ROM, but it should be able to be disabled so I'm not going to complain too much. Disable Hangouts, install Skype, life moves on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12