Annoyance: Verizon S3 lock screen activated after phone calls

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
My lock screen activates after I finish any phone call. I have it set to activate after 29 minutes 45 seconds (max possible), but no matter what, if I finish a phone call, the phone locks. Am I missing some other setting?

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Annoyance: Lock screen activated after phone calls

I don't see any setting in the Dialer app that would cause the behavior that you describe.

Is the screen just turning off when the call ends or is it actually activating the lock screen?

Do you have any apps installed that modify the lock screen (adding widgets; alternate lock screen controls; etc)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't see any setting in the Dialer app that would cause the behavior that you describe.

Is the screen just turning off when the call ends or is it actually activating the lock screen?

Do you have any apps installed that modify the lock screen (adding widgets; alternate lock screen controls; etc)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

No, this is an unrooted, unmodified device. I wonder if my company's device management system may be responsible for this?

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Mine does it also. No big deal.

Normally, I would not get bothered by something like this. However, our company device management requires me to use a long pin to unlock the phone, so I want to keep it unlocked as much as possible to avoid re-entering the pin.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if my company's device management system may be responsible for this?
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head!

themagicianbg

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Galaxy Note 2 and 3 do it also. Extremely annoying. I have found no settings to deal with this problem.

Since my phone is secured with a password, which can be no shorter than 6 characters - I have to type in all of them everytime I get a phone call. This drives me crazy especially if I am using the phone to do something.

Anyone ?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy Note 2 and 3 do it also.
How are you ending your calls? With the 'End' button in the Phone app or with the Power button?

What firmware? I haven't seen anything like this on my SCH-i535 running 4.1.2, MF1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

themagicianbg

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

How are you ending your calls? With the 'End' button in the Phone app or with the Power button?...
If the other side ends the call - then it locks
If I end it with the 'End' button - locks.
Key thing is I have encrypted the device. It seems in this case its overall behavior is different and quite unpredictable.

One more thing I just noticed. If I turn on the option "Settings/Lock Screen/Lock instantly with power key" - then it locks even if I just close the lid. Without touching the power button. The moment I close the lid it locks.
This is reeeeeeally annoying. I found no information on any of these issues anywhere.

I expect the device to lock only if the timeout is out or if I lock it explicitly with the 'power' key. It seems Samsung think different.

Versions:
Model: sm-n9005
Android: 4.3
kernel: 3.4.0-2019540

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

If the other side ends the call - then it locks
If I end it with the 'End' button - locks.
Key thing is I have encrypted the device. It seems in this case its overall behavior is different and quite unpredictable.

One more thing I just noticed. If I turn on the option "Settings/Lock Screen/Lock instantly with power key" - then it locks even if I just close the lid. Without touching the power button. The moment I close the lid it locks.
This is reeeeeeally annoying. I found no information on any of these issues anywhere.

I expect the device to lock only if the timeout is out or if I lock it explicitly with the 'power' key. It seems Samsung think different.

Versions:
Model: sm-n9005
Android: 4.3
kernel: 3.4.0-2019540

Hadn't thought about the encryption being the possible source of this issue. I'm encrypted too by corporate mandate.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Hadn't thought about the encryption being the possible source of this issue.
There you go - problem identified. Next!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

themagicianbg

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

My phone has nothing to do with with any corporate crap. Its an open unlocked phone that I do not expect to lock itself every time it feels like it. I see no logic in continuous locking especially if I am not given the choice.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Key thing is I have encrypted the device.
I've never encrypted my phone, but since you have I wouldn't be surprised that it locks itself - that's what being secure is all about, isn't it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I do not expect to lock itself every time it feels like it.
Are these phone calls exceeding your set timeout value? Perhaps the timer is running while the screen is off during the call, and as soon as you finish the call it trips the flag to lock the phone.

MetalMarky

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I have the same issue on the Samsung Galaxy S2. I use Waze while driving all the time and if someone calls me, I answer hands free just using the speaker while it is in the cradle. This works fine but when the call is ended, whether I hang up or the other caller, the screen locks. What I want is for it to return to the sat nav app. This happens with the Google navigation and with TomTom for Android. This is more annoying than anything else because you then have to unlock the phone (I use a pattern lock) to return to the sat nav.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

One thing I've noticed recently: if the phone call ends and I just let the call phone screens go away on their own (including the screen showing the contact's name with the "Call" and "Message" buttons), it will go back to whatever was open before the call. If you use the "back" button, you get the lock screen.

TheDeanster

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm looking for a solution as well. Will post IF I find out how.
This is annoying when your one-handing the phone.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to bump this topic up. Now this is happening to me if Daydream (Dashclock) activates. I have no problem with a screen timeout (if not charging) after a few minutes, but to go to a locked screen before 29 mins 45 seconds have elapsed is extremely annoying and unproductive.

e-gadget-guy

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I also have this problem. Neither of my 2 galaxy SIII s use encription nor are they currently rooted. BOTH of them go to the lock screen after a call. It's expecially annoying when I', using WAZE to navigate and get a call, then after the call it locks and I have to unlock it. WHY WHY WHY does it do this!>?!?!

There needs to be an app to stop it or a bug fix or ???
:( :( :(