Where is the 4.3 Update for the Verizon Galaxy S3?

Jarrod411

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For crap sakes people... No one is talking about the real issue... VERIZON'S COMMUNICATION SUCKS BIG TIME... THIS IS OUR ISSUE...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
All carriers have bad communication.

No carrier announced ahead of time when these updates were coming.

The only reason why you are trying to act like that is any different from any other carrier, is because it's taking longer for Verizon to get it out.

The issue is not their communication, but the process they employ to prepare and release these updates.

The only communication people would like to know, is why it takes them so damn long to prepare and test updates that (many times) function worse than the updates other carriers rush out the door...

I've only been with Verizon for a few months, but their coverage is bad enough that I will ETF within 2-3 months and go back to AT&T, anyways. That will give me a chance to escape the broken Android upgrade treadmill. I'm to the point that I couldn't care less whether this phone was updated or recalled and downgraded back to Gingerbread. As long as it makes calls and sends SMS/MMS until I go back from whence I came and make the necessary switch to improve my electronic quality of life, I won't give it much thought moving forward... Lol.

I do feel pity for those who tie themselves to a carrier because of an Unlimited Data plan that can be taken away at any time, buying devices at full price in many cases (especially with the relative non-portable nature of Verizon/CDMA devices).

Good Luck, all!

Last edited:

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
My niece is at&t with a s4. She got the 4.3 update and says only thing it gave her was a different keyboard which she hates. She sees nothing for the better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Root/unlock/flash a Rom...

Seriously... I know there are warranty issues, but if you rely on the carriers, you'll always be aggravated. They NEVER get out quick.

Go rogue!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Root/unlock/flash a Rom...

Seriously... I know there are warranty issues, but if you rely on the carriers, you'll always be aggravated. They NEVER get out quick.

Go rogue!
No thanks. Too much hassle and Custom ROMs have their own problems.

It's like the mobile version of Linux Distro hunting. I have much more productive things to do than ROM hop.

I use my devices to get work done these days. That is not worth the potential aggravation.

I only run stable, supported software on my devices and PCs, period.

The only "fix" is to ditch the platform and go with one that doesn't suffer these issues.

If Microsoft did the same thing with Windows, I'd buy go Mac so this isn't just a dig at the platform.

What you offer is a shoddy risky work-around, not a solution. The carriers don't care what you use as long as you pay your bill, so you aren't really "going rogue" at all. You're just going out of your way to encourage them to do what they do by convincing yourself it doesn't matter.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No thanks. Too much hassle and Custom ROMs have their own problems.

It's like the mobile version of Linux Distro hunting. I have much more productive things to do than ROM hop.

I use my devices to get work done these days. That is not worth the potential aggravation.

I only run stable, supported software on my devices and PCs, period.

The only "fix" is to ditch the platform and go with one that doesn't suffer these issues.

If Microsoft did the same thing with Windows, I'd buy go Mac so this isn't just a dig at the platform.

What you offer is a shoddy risky work-around, not a solution. The carriers don't care what you use as long as you pay your bill, so you aren't really "going rogue" at all. You're just going out of your way to encourage them to do what they do by convincing yourself it doesn't matter.

1. Rooting and flashing a new ROM takes roughly 30 minutes, and it wasn't that much of a hassle.
2. You can stick with more experienced ROM developers like Cyanogen, Slim, or AOKP.
3. Once you get used to flashing ROMs it's not that aggravating, it is actually rather easy.
4. I think you are confusing nightlies which are experimental versions versus the stable ones. CM outright disclaims that they are experimental and will have bugs. Caveat emptor. For me, Slim was a better running ROM than stock.
5. A fix can also be modifying your current device to suit your needs.

His suggestion is not shoddy, and so long as the proper preparation is done, not really all that risky. I got 4.3 for my S3 back in August.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought this phone cause it ran TW. Why would I destroy it with some AOSP ROM? It's a shoddy workaround, for me.

Can't access work servers with a rooted phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought this phone cause it ran TW. Why would I destroy it with some AOSP ROM? It's a shoddy workaround, for me.

Ok. That is fine that for you it is a shoddy work around. But that doesn't preclude that it is a shoddy workaround period. I have actually grown to like AOSP ROMs, and not having a phone bogged down by TouchWiz.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok. That is fine that for you it is a shoddy work around. But that doesn't preclude that it is a shoddy workaround period. I have actually grown to like AOSP ROMs, and not having a phone bogged down by TouchWiz.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.
My phone is enhanced by touchwiz not bogged down. AOSP is missing too many features, and I absolutely deplore the look and feel of stock Android.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone is enhanced by touchwiz not bogged down. AOSP is missing too many features, and I absolutely deplore the look and feel of stock Android.

Have you compared the two side by side for performance?

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC forums app.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

There are tons of roms based off TW, they are not all AOSP. You can even get roms that are pretty much carbon copies of what Samsung releases (without Verizon bloat), just on the latest Android.

The aosp room I have currently is light-years beyond TW, in terms of features, and had been as stable as the stock tw. AOSP doesn't mean that it's stripped to the bone.

Last.... that second part about work access... That is a valid reason to have to avoid third party roms, but that doesn't mean they are shoddy.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey, it takes Verizon some time to put all that bloat in. You don't think all that crap is easy to get working, do you? It takes a lot of time to make a phone as bloated with useless junk as Verizon does, and that's why Verizon takes longer to get a new OS update out. They've got to get all their useless garbage working on a new platform, and that's always their biggest challenge.

spectre72

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Who would of thought that the invention of the smartphone would present us with such a "first world problem?" As an old codger I remember how great it was when all we had was just one land line phone in the house, and it was on a 'party line' shared with the neighbors.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I love how the note 3 maintenance update added like 4 bloatware apps/services. Lol.

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, 7 pages of post about an update that will simply get here when it gets here! I'm embarrassed that I contributed!
DAMN, I did it again!
Think I need to get a life:)

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a DROID BIONIC before I got the GS3 so my patience level with Verizon updates is very high.
Hang in there everybody and don't drive yourself crazy checking your phone for a software update, the holiday season can be hectic enough.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a DROID BIONIC before I got the GS3 so my patience level with Verizon updates is very high.
Hang in there everybody and don't drive yourself crazy checking your phone for a software update, the holiday season can be hectic enough.

You too? I came from a Motorola Droid BIONIC before I got the GS3 back in June. Haven't looked back since.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You too? I came from a Motorola Droid BIONIC before I got the GS3 back in June. Haven't looked back since.

Yep I sure did. Motorola and Verizon said that the BIOINIC was to be upgraded to the latest and greatest software (ICS to JB) shortly after its release since it was their flagship phone at the time and then the RAZR came out a few months later and the BIONIC got put in the attic. Took damn near a year for the promised update to be released so that is why I say that I have a high patience level for Verizon and their update process.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more on Verizon and their updates. It just really frustrates me when people are complaining about how long it's taking Verizon to get the update out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084