Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen freezes 20x a day

Screen freezes 20x a day - sometimes a simple power button toggle resets; other times gotta yank battery.

Example - I'll be typing (like now) and suddenly the keyboard is unresponsive. Click power button off. Click power button on - Viola.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Screen freezes 20x a day

Did you recently get any system updates? Samsung's updates lately have been kind of glitchy.

Otherwise, try a system cache partition wipe. Maybe clearing out some of the temporary system gunk will help. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeva View Post
    Screen freezes 20x a day
    What happens if you boot up in Safe mode - do you still have this problem?
    That would be a good way to eliminate 3rd party apps from the equation.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wiped cache - same problem. Not sure what Safe Mode accomplishes. I only have this problem when I'm using the phone; Safe Mode precludes using the phone - except non-smart functions like calls. So how is Safe Mode a valid test?

Have you done a factory reset, yet?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

I had the same problem. Tracked it down to an app that had to download data every time I opened it. When I was on wifi or in a good reception area, I didn't have the problem. But if I was in an elevator or on a train, my phone froze.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeva View Post
    So how is Safe Mode a valid test?
    Safe Mode should only disable 3rd party apps. The stock phone features should still work. That's why Safe Mode can help to troubleshoot if problems are occurring due to 3rd party apps. Are you saying that you're unable to use your phone functions with Safe Mode on?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm saying I use Apps I've used for years on other phones. If I disable them (via Safe Mode) I may as well not have a smartphone. I doubt it would freeze (doing nothing); but it just rebooted sitting on the table doing nothing, so maybe I should try for a few hours - but staring at a functionless phone for a few hours while being incommunicado is not my cup of tea.

The point of using Safe Mode is as a diagnostic tool, not as a way to use your phone. In general, if something is acting odd, Safe Mode can give you an idea if it's a third party app that's causing a problem or not.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I understand, but only if I use the phone in that "mode" - and I don't see what I'd do with my phone in "Safe". Like having a fork with no food.