Keyboard lag...

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced keyboard lag on a number of Androids - where I'm typing several chacters (sometimes a dozen) ahead of their appearance on screen.

But the S3 brings this lag to a whole new dimension. On this device, I need to hold the key for an extra few milliseconds in order for the key to register - lest it skip letters and "abhorrent" become "aboret".

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced keyboard lag on a number of Androids - where I'm typing several chacters (sometimes a dozen) ahead of their appearance on screen.

But the S3 brings this lag to a whole new dimension. On this device, I need to hold the key for an extra few milliseconds in order for the key to register - lest it skip letters and "abhorrent" become "aboret".

Have you loaded a different keyboard altogether, like Google's? I have grown to hate Samsung's keyboard with a passion.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Google keyboard cured all my swiping woes

It's surprising how often the"keyboard" topic comes up

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you loaded a different keyboard altogether, like Google's? I have grown to hate Samsung's keyboard with a passion.

Samsung keyboard we have is pretty bad because it lacks auto-substitution. That issue is fixed in 4.3 updates as it brings the GS4 keyboard to our phones, and that one works very well (friend just got a GS4 a few days ago, and I helped him set it up and everything).

The updated keyboard is one of the biggest changes I'm excited for in the 4.3 update. I like Samsung's keyboard because of the Clipboard support, among other things. The dedicated number row on main keyboard will be a most welcome change!

I notice that most keyboards which aren't preloaded on the phone tend to lag. Swiftkey lags quite a bit. Google Keyboard lags a little but the latest (post-KK) update is quite a bit smoother than it was before, so it's less of an issue with that one. The Swype and Samsung Keyboards built into the phone do not lag at all. They're also large 30MB+ installs so I'm looking forward to not needing any of them (third party keyboards) anymore :p

mdeva

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I use (and have successfully used on my previous half dozen phones) Smart Keyboard Pro, which I believe has functionality not found on any other keyboard app. The Custom Autotext feature alone places it (for me) above all other keyboards.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there an update available for your keyboard? I use Swiftkey and have had zero lag issues since I updated it but man right before the last update there was a huge lag, but once I updated it seems to have gone away completely. The other thing you may try is clearing the cache for the application that may speed up its use, or clear unused but active apps from the RAM. Just a few things to try. Hope you get it working, a laggy keyboard is the worst!

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried running the phone in Safe mode or uninstalling any recently installed apps on the off chance that they are causing problems? Worth a shot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc