Google Maps not working

timber6

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

My google maps was working perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago, and now won't find my location at all. It will give me the right directions, but no voice navigation, it doesn't follow my location following the route, and the marker for the car jumps around all over the place. I've tried uninstalling the updates, does the exact same thing. Rebooting the phone doesn't help either. I'm not rooted, and I need maps as I travel a lot and being lost is not cool. Anyone else have this problem on the verizon s3 and hopefully have any solutions?

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Download a free app like GPS Essentials or GPS test to check if your GPS is working. You want to see if your GPS is connecting with multiple satellites, low radius, and stays connected. If you have issues it maybe your GPS radio is broken. If your phone is under warranty Verizon will replace it after you try a factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

timber6

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I tried GPS test while sitting in my house. it said GPS was on and was accurate up to 30 feet. I'm going to probably go to the Verizon store, & hopefully they can give me some answers there. This is annoying, I love this phone, besides this issue.

ngc457

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will likely have you do a factory reset, meaning it will clear all data and all apps you have installed. Make sure you backup photos or anything else you want to keep.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Try tightening the small screws on the back of the phone (with battery cover off). Also, make sure VZW location services are turned off...they tended to do more harm than good.

Posted via Android Central App

vtricci

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Called Verizon twice and went buy. I have done everything. I finally called Samsung and they told me to take it to Best Buy to the Samsung section of the store and they would do a "flash" restore to fix the operating system issue that is causing the GPS not to work. I will update to let you know if that works or not.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I second tightening the screws! My GPS was HORRENDOUS - took me 30 miles away from my desired location once and would often freeze in the middle of navigating me somewhere. Literally almost threw the phone out the car window. Then my sister tightened them up for me and it's been perfect!

Eric Rhodes1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue as Timber6. Verizon Samsung S3 Google maps broke after the latest update. No voice nav (except to tell me "GPS signal lost"), location is WAY off and direction too. This sucks! I also tried the screw tightening thing to no avail.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Google maps broke after the latest update.
Have you tried any of the common solutions since the OTA?
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
- boot into Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset
- reload the stock firmware from scratch
These are all things I'd consider before writing it off. There's also a YouTube video showing how to check the GPS antenna connection - IIRC it involved putting a small piece of foil at the connection point to provide a better signal.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Eric Rhodes1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!Have you tried any of the common solutions since the OTA?
- boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
- boot into Recovery mode and perform a Factory Reset
- reload the stock firmware from scratch
These are all things I'd consider before writing it off. There's also a YouTube video showing how to check the GPS antenna connection - IIRC it involved putting a small piece of foil at the connection point to provide a better signal.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Yes to all, and I have at least ONE app that can find me accurately.

Eric Rhodes1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Not only had my S3 had a broken Google Maps, BUT I jsut got a new phone AND so did my gf. BOTH phones broken Google Maps. NEW BOTH. That's three phones in a row.

Sujay kumar

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
This happened with me also, but common.. this is google you are talking about,
Go to, Settings->Apps->Google Maps->Clear Data & Clear Cache. Then restart google maps.

This issue come into cause because many previously saved data are available from the previous version of the app.
Sorry for talking techincally, but for some variables, Google may not have made it compatible with the previous versions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance