power button bugging out!!!

krnruinz3

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
long story short I dropped my phone and a couple of days later the power button started tripping out, for ex) screen lighting up when phone is locked, power off menu coming up randomly, and my phone never stays off it just powers on by itself. is this due to me dropping my phone or maybe a glitchy program?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you damaged the Power switch.
It's possible that the little plastic piece that you normally push on got cracked and is now pressing on the actual switch - the only way to find out would be to open the phone up and gently pry it out and see what happens.

Do you have the phone in a case? It's possible that the case is pressing on the plastic piece after getting jarred.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
long story short I dropped my phone and a couple of days later the power button started tripping out, for ex) screen lighting up when phone is locked, power off menu coming up randomly, and my phone never stays off it just powers on by itself. is this due to me dropping my phone or maybe a glitchy program?

I had that problem once, and you can very easily pop the power button out. I did a battery pull first, popped out the button, vacuumed the small hole out, then actually turned the button 180?, reinserted it, and good as new. YMMV but hopefully it works! (Worst case scenario you wasted 3 minutes.)

Posted via Android Central App

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem once, and you can very easily pop the power button out. I did a battery pull first, popped out the button, vacuumed the small hole out, then actually turned the button 180?, reinserted it, and good as new. YMMV but hopefully it works! (Worst case scenario you wasted 3 minutes.)

No, no no! The power button the GS3 is sautered to the motherboard! Don't try to pop it out, it can cause permanent damage! :O

You can take it to somewhere like "Smartphone Medic" and have it replaced. Had to do it to my old GS3, and it cost me $70. Still cheaper than an insurance claim and their work was warantied. I ended up going back to my Moto Razr Maxx though due to reception issuses.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, no no! The power button the GS3 is soldered to the motherboard! Don't try to pop it out, it can cause permanent damage!
I believe that dgcamero was referring to the little plastic piece that actually presses down on the power switch (which is soldered to the mainboard). :)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe that dgcamero was referring to the little plastic piece that actually presses down on the power switch (which is soldered to the mainboard). :)

Correcto...just the little plastic piece --- it's easy, and fixed my problem. Again, YMMV!

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
How exactly did you pop out the power button? I can't seem to get a good grip on it.

I think I used the edge of a box cutter or a razor blade or small paring knife. It pops out pretty easy from the middle, no need to dig around.