Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    krnruinz3's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default power button bugging out!!!

    long story short I dropped my phone and a couple of days later the power button started tripping out, for ex) screen lighting up when phone is locked, power off menu coming up randomly, and my phone never stays off it just powers on by itself. is this due to me dropping my phone or maybe a glitchy program?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Sounds like you damaged the Power switch.
    It's possible that the little plastic piece that you normally push on got cracked and is now pressing on the actual switch - the only way to find out would be to open the phone up and gently pry it out and see what happens.

    Do you have the phone in a case? It's possible that the case is pressing on the plastic piece after getting jarred.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  3. #3  
    dgcamero's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by krnruinz3 View Post
    long story short I dropped my phone and a couple of days later the power button started tripping out, for ex) screen lighting up when phone is locked, power off menu coming up randomly, and my phone never stays off it just powers on by itself. is this due to me dropping my phone or maybe a glitchy program?
    I had that problem once, and you can very easily pop the power button out. I did a battery pull first, popped out the button, vacuumed the small hole out, then actually turned the button 180, reinserted it, and good as new. YMMV but hopefully it works! (Worst case scenario you wasted 3 minutes.)

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    cordoni's Avatar

    Posts
    934 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    I had that problem once, and you can very easily pop the power button out. I did a battery pull first, popped out the button, vacuumed the small hole out, then actually turned the button 180, reinserted it, and good as new. YMMV but hopefully it works! (Worst case scenario you wasted 3 minutes.)

    Posted via Android Central App
    No, no no! The power button the GS3 is sautered to the motherboard! Don't try to pop it out, it can cause permanent damage! :O

    You can take it to somewhere like "Smartphone Medic" and have it replaced. Had to do it to my old GS3, and it cost me $70. Still cheaper than an insurance claim and their work was warantied. I ended up going back to my Moto Razr Maxx though due to reception issuses.
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

    If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by cordoni View Post
    No, no no! The power button the GS3 is soldered to the motherboard! Don't try to pop it out, it can cause permanent damage!
    I believe that dgcamero was referring to the little plastic piece that actually presses down on the power switch (which is soldered to the mainboard).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  6. #6  
    dgcamero's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I believe that dgcamero was referring to the little plastic piece that actually presses down on the power switch (which is soldered to the mainboard).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Correcto...just the little plastic piece --- it's easy, and fixed my problem. Again, YMMV!
  7. #7  
    Smeags's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    How exactly did you pop out the power button? I can't seem to get a good grip on it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    dgcamero's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default Re: power button bugging out!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeags View Post
    How exactly did you pop out the power button? I can't seem to get a good grip on it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I think I used the edge of a box cutter or a razor blade or small paring knife. It pops out pretty easy from the middle, no need to dig around.

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. button colored changed
    By Xanth269 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
  3. Film on camera out of box?
    By justlaxin13 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  4. Hang Up with power button
    By shmeeeel in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM
  5. Disable power button when locked
    By Ronin12 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

B