Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changing to larger capacity SD card. How to transfer data from old to new card?

Getting a larger SD card and need to know how to transfer data from disclosure card to new.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Changing to larger capacity SD card. How to transfer data from old to new card?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    Getting a larger SD card and need to know how to transfer data from disclosure card to new.

This might seem a strange way to do this, but I would insert the card in your PC, copy paste all the files from the card to your PC, and then copy paste again to the new card. Double check everything is there and delete the old card. This does 2 things: PCs can do this faster, and it creates a backup copy of the files.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    dadathepanda likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Changing to larger capacity SD card. How to transfer data from old to new card?

That's what I thought too. Ty

Unless of course your PC doesn't have an SD card reader.
    In which case you can use something like AirDroid: (if you don't want to mess with USB cables) or just connect it via USB and then copy the files off that way.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Cool guys. Thanks
    , got it now

Global Posts
    13,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Glad you got it worked out. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC forums app.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

what about formatting the new card?

what about formatting the new sd? is it necessary, and if yes how do I do it, and what would be the sequence of events for backup, formatting, copying?

Global Posts
    13,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by M Wolk View Post
    what about formatting the new sd? is it necessary, and if yes how do I do it, and what would be the sequence of events for backup, formatting, copying?
    Welcome to the forums.
    If you have files on the card that you need to be kept, insert it into your PC by copy/paste. Then replace the card in your phone, and under Settings>Storage, you can reformat the card.