Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Messaging app problem

Hey everyone, I've recently run into a couple annoying problems in my messaging app. First off, sometimes when I press the back key in the top left to go to all of my messages it just closes the app, not sure why but it just started happening a week or so ago. Another problem I've been having is sometimes when I try to move the cursor somewhere else in the message to fix a spelling mistake, once I press backspace it just moves the cursor to the last letter typed so I can't edit my messages without saving the message as a draft and then editing it.

Some help on how to fix these annoying problems would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Messaging app problem

Quote Originally Posted by xhydeffx View Post
    Hey everyone, I've recently run into a couple annoying problems in my messaging app. First off, sometimes when I press the back key in the top left to go to all of my messages it just closes the app, not sure why but it just started happening a week or so ago. Another problem I've been having is sometimes when I try to move the cursor somewhere else in the message to fix a spelling mistake, once I press backspace it just moves the cursor to the last letter typed so I can't edit my messages without saving the message as a draft and then editing it.

Some help on how to fix these annoying problems would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Is this the stock messaging app? You can try to clear the cached data in Settings>Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Messaging and click on it>click clear cache, and force stop.
    Wait a few moments, and try again.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by xhydeffx View Post
    but it just started happening a week or so ago...once I press backspace it just moves the cursor to the last letter typed
    What else happened a week or so ago? Did you install new apps; update existing apps; receive an update to the phone OS? If this happens all the time, you could try booting into Safe mode and see if the problem goes away - if it does then some 3rd party app is causing your problem.

What keyboard are you using? I use SwiftKey, and although it has great prediction sometimes when I'm editing a post it stops showing the actual cursor - quite annoying. Are you sure that the cursor has moved to where you selected before you press the Backspace key?

You could try a 3rd party keyboard app to see if you have better luck than what you're using. Here are a few possibilities:
    Google Keyboard:
    Smart Keyboard Trial:
    SwiftKey:

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Is this the stock messaging app? You can try to clear the cached data in Settings>Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Messaging and click on it>click clear cache, and force stop.
    Wait a few moments, and try again.
    Yes it is, with stock keyboard. I just cleared the cache, I'll update this post later to let you know if it works, thanks.
    Still having the same problem unfortunately
    Last edited by xhydeffx; 12-22-2013 at 01:21 AM.