Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 update questions and issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Gbuch View Post
    It doesn't bother me that much, so I haven't tried this yet, but have you tried using an app to control what widgets appear in your lock screen? I think there exists some, though I don't know if they work on unrooted phones...
    It bothers me because it is a massive security hole. Why should someone without your unlock code be able to see some portion of the the content of your text messages?

In the case of Google two-factor authentication text messages, this preview actually lets a person holding your locked phone see the authentication code. The only way to plug this hole is to turn off message previews...and there is no way in the SMS app to disable the preview on just the lock screen. Instead, you have to turn the preview off globally, which means no more message previews even when your phone is unlocked. Instead, I have to click on each notification to open the SMS app to see who the text is from...which sucks. If I am in a meeting and get a text, I now have no idea if it is from my boss, a client, or from RedBox. I spend a lot more time clicking on message notifications now...instead of ignoring 75% of them until an important one comes in....because I had to disable the preview.

I just see no reason that any portion of a text message should display on a locked phone...and disabling that behavior shouldn't essentially remove the notification functionality from the OS when the phone is unlocked. If anyone has figured out a way to fix this mess, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks.

I suggest to stop waiting and to sign a petition asking Samsung to solve problems that derived from the 4.3 upgrade.

and share it with as many friends as you can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    It bothers me because it is a massive security hole. Why should someone without your unlock code be able to see some portion of the the content of your text messages?

In the case of Google two-factor authentication text messages, this preview actually lets a person holding your locked phone see the authentication code. The only way to plug this hole is to turn off message previews...and there is no way in the SMS app to disable the preview on just the lock screen. Instead, you have to turn the preview off globally, which means no more message previews even when your phone is unlocked. Instead, I have to click on each notification to open the SMS app to see who the text is from...which sucks. If I am in a meeting and get a text, I now have no idea if it is from my boss, a client, or from RedBox. I spend a lot more time clicking on message notifications now...instead of ignoring 75% of them until an important one comes in....because I had to disable the preview.

I just see no reason that any portion of a text message should display on a locked phone...and disabling that behavior shouldn't essentially remove the notification functionality from the OS when the phone is unlocked. If anyone has figured out a way to fix this mess, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks.
    I should have clarified, sorry. I do agree that my messages should not appear in my lock screen. Therefore I disabled it, and the only inconvenience is that the message details don't appear in the notifications tab. Clicking on each notification to open the SMS app is what doesn't bother me too much (at some point, I would have to open the app anyway to mark the message as read).

Though Samsung/Verizon should not have changed this setting without warning, so users could disable it as soon as the update arrived.

This is a great p;ace to find info. I wish I had read thru the thread here before updating. Biggest complaint is the battery drain. I dont use the gps much and wi-fi is turned off too. I turn data off during the day as the location I work does not have coverage. Now the battery life drops lower than it used to. sux!

Quote Originally Posted by David McCarthy1 View Post
    This is a great p;ace to find info. I wish I had read thru the thread here before updating. Biggest complaint is the battery drain. I dont use the gps much and wi-fi is turned off too. I turn data off during the day as the location I work does not have coverage. Now the battery life drops lower than it used to. sux!
    Just an FYI - I am NOT experiencing the battery drain some have spoken about. I keep my GPS on all the time and have not done anything different after the update and my battery life has not made any significant changes. In fact, I have no issues with the update... knock knock.

My beefs -
    1) I do not want a widget on my lock screen. I have figured how to turn on the clock and message, but I cannot get the alarm clock notice to vanish. I do not want to turn off the alarm clock, either (yes, that would fix the issue but then I would have to turn the alarm on and off all the time - lame).
    2) the security pattern has shrunk! Not a huge issue, but now I have to look at the phone to unlock (again, not a huge issue)
    3)I did have the issue with constant notices of downloading old files - to cure this you simply find the 'downloads' app, and then clear it through there. Clearing through the drag down from desktop doesn't solve the issue. You need to clear the downloads in the 'downloads' app. My apologies if this was already covered.

4) - anyone know how to remove the alarm clock notification from the lock screen widget? More crap that I do not need to see on my lock screen! Thanks.

Other than that - I am happy to have 4.3. Seems to run very smoothly and quickly on my S3.
    Last edited by Happyfellow; 01-21-2014 at 11:03 AM.

i have a problem with my GS3 i9300 ... when i upgrade to stock 4.3 my imei be like that 00041xxxxx0000
    what should i do !!

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfellow View Post
    My beefs -
    1) I do not want a widget on my lock screen. I have figured how to turn on the clock and message, but I cannot get the alarm clock notice to vanish. I do not want to turn off the alarm clock, either (yes, that would fix the issue but then I would have to turn the alarm on and off all the time - lame).
    [...]
    4) - anyone know how to remove the alarm clock notification from the lock screen widget? More crap that I do not need to see on my lock screen! Thanks.
    It's not ideal, but you could try another alarm software. One suggestion is Timely, which was recently bought by Google (nothing special about it, just syncing of alarms between devices and a nice interface, though I really liked the stock alarm widget, which is not available for Timely...)

Quote Originally Posted by mina alphons View Post
    when i upgrade to stock 4.3 my imei be like that 00041xxxxx0000
    what should i do !!
    Was your phone stock before you updated? If so, you should take the phone to your carrier and get them to deal with it - I don't think there's any way for you to fix a borked IMEI unless you have a backup of the /efs partition (which you're unlikely to have unless your phone was rooted and you were used to fiddling with ROMs).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

If you want to successfully roll back to 4.1.2 you can follow this instruction. This was created today by someone close to me and is the only successful way in which to do this with the now locked bootloader that was installed during the 4.3 update
    Last edited by katalinagirl; 01-22-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo in technical document corrected to reflect 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Was your phone stock before you updated? If so, you should take the phone to your carrier and get them to deal with it - I don't think there's any way for you to fix a borked IMEI unless you have a backup of the /efs partition (which you're unlikely to have unless your phone was rooted and you were used to fiddling with ROMs).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    I have efs partition backup .. my flash counter : 41 so i am a super user .... but when i restore it on 4.3 i get unknown baseband and unknown imei !!!
    I must run 4.1.2 to have my imei back ... i can't update !
    Last edited by mina alphons; 01-22-2014 at 06:01 AM.

This update has been a complete pain. Getting rid of this gs3 tonight, was a fun run.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

As I mentioned to you last night you can roll back to 4.1.2 but, must adhere to specific instruction to avoid bricking your phone. We put this technical document and packaged ROM/Kernel together for others after this 4.3 update impacted our S3 and in a not so positive way. For more technical specifics in regards to what Verizon did when they pushed this update out to your S3, it can be read in this technical document that provides instruction on safely rolling back to your original 4.1.2 ROM. You can access this at the following:
    Last edited by katalinagirl; 01-22-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Welcome to AC, katalinagirl. Thank you for dropping a helpful tip to the community.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thank you, Paul627g, for your friendly welcome. The techinical doc that I posted had a typo that caused some confusion but has since been corrected and so as a result the URL changed for accessing it and was updated in both of my posts.

On another note and in response to a user here that pm'd me on here in regards to my post: Mention of this rollback and the link to the technical document: was posted on XDA last night. Perhaps you didn't come across it is all.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by katalinagirl View Post
    Mention of this rollback and the link to the technical document was posted on XDA last night.
    Would you care to comment on the difference between this approach and the use of Safestrap? This appears to give the user 4.1.2 with a locked bootloader, Recovery and kernel; Safestrap appears to give the user a locked bootloader but with a pseudo-recovery that allows the user to load different 4.3-based firmware (and kernels?).

Is there something in the 4.1.2 image that you've provided that prevents it from attempting to update to 4.3? That could be a real mess.

"Is there something in the 4.1.2 image that you've provided that prevents it from attempting to update to 4.3? That could be a real mess."

No, there are no modifications to this firmware image and you can install updates manually.

In addition, this roll back instruction was only created as a friendly service for those who aloud the full OTA update via Verizon and as a direct result ended up with many unfriendly incompatibility issues and have been unsuccessful in all attempts to fix some of these issues; this so they can have the option to safely roll back to the original 4.1.2 ROM and Kernel. The locked bootloader, ML1, that was installed during this 4.3 update remains unscathed as well as the 4.3 radio driver that was installed during this 4.3 update. As you are probably aware of by now the risk with this latest ML1 bootloader that was auto installed during this 4.3 update cannot, without consequence, be flashed back, let alone exploited, at least not yet. Some are working on it, including the person that wrote this simple instruction for those wishing to roll back to the original ROM. He's already updated the unfortunate news of his findings on XDA after disassembling both the ML1/MDK for both the S3 & S4. You can view these findings at and the thread on XDA is forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2618887

Hope this is useful for you. ..
    Last edited by katalinagirl; 01-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.

I have a question. Is there a way to make my phone stop asking me to update it every time I unlock it? My wife upgraded to 4.3 and has had lots of problems, so I am going to hold off but I would like to get rid of the full screen notice to update my system every time I unlock it.

Thanks all!

There is one suggestion located in the following thread listed below via rooting your phone (I personally don't know as I have not tested this scenario but am confident that this might be the permanent solution). This thread will also make mention that you can "Force stop" the SDM app in the Application Manager and that this will stop this from reoccurring in which is NOT true at all as it's not exactly as simple as that scenario. Good luck to you

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ons-my-s3.html

Since updating to Jelly Bean 4.3, my S3 locks up at least once a day. This is definitely associated with the update since i had this phone for 18 months and only had to pull the battery twice. Now, I've come to expect it. Additionally I have problems with some specific applications that seemed to crop up since the update. Words with friends will have occasional 'vibrating' screen episodes after submitting a move. Trivia (the real estate app) sometimes freezes when scrolling pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by pbuzzard View Post
    Since updating to Jelly Bean 4.3, my S3 locks up at least once a day.
    Which solutions have you already tried:
    - clear system cache in Recovery mode?
    - Factory Reset?

katalinagirl likes this.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the two apps I mentioned. I just now went through and uninstalled 4 or 5 apps that I don't use any more. I also cleared the system cache, but not in recovery mode.

Quote Originally Posted by pbuzzard View Post
    I also cleared the system cache, but not in recovery mode.
    I'm not aware of any way to clear the system cache except in Recovery mode - the OS has to not be in use in order to do that.

Regardless, if none of the usual solutions pan out then it's time for a Factory Reset. It's not like you can boot up in Safe mode and prove anything since you won't be able to use those apps in that configuration.

katalinagirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_ma View Post
    Just an FYI - I am NOT experiencing the battery drain some have spoken about. I keep my GPS on all the time and have not done anything different after the update and my battery life has not made any significant changes. In fact, I have no issues with the update... knock knock.

"Who's There?"! Lol ;-) I'm going to do a FR as soon as I am done browsing around. Thank You