Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By roguetrader
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Delete 4.3 Download File?

Is there anyway to delete the downloaded update? I haven't installed yet but it keeps popping up asking me to install and when I'd like to install. Anyone have any idea where the file is within the phone's storage? Thanks for any help.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Delete 4.3 Download File?

Hoping to get rid of this by deleting the update file.

Delete 4.3 Download File?-uploadfromtaptalk1387469806579.jpg

You could try settings > application manager > all > Google services framework and turn off Notifications. This won't get rid of the update, but it should stop the notification.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    TBoltShock83839 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    You could try settings > application manager > all > Google services framework and turn off Notifications. This won't get rid of the update, but it should stop the notification.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app
    Just tried that and rebooted. So far, so good. The green icon is still up top, but the popup window hasn't showed up yet. Still hoping to discover the file somewhere in the folders.

Update:

It popped up again shortly after I typed the above.

You could try something like DiskUsage: - it'll show a representation of the file system by size; there shouldn't be too many 700MB files out there.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    You could try something like DiskUsage: - it'll show a representation of the file system by size; there shouldn't be too many 700MB files out there.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Just tried that also but didn't spot the file. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely keeping that app you recommended. It's a pretty good way to see how storage is looking.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Maybe plugging it into your PC? But, even if you did find it and delete it, the OS will probably download it anyway.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Maybe plugging it into your PC? But, even if you did find it and delete it, the OS will probably download it anyway.
    I wonder if changing the build properties name would prevent that on the S3. I did that to another phone to prevent an update download, as the OTA checker wouldn't validate. Need to be rooted to change the name, but adding just a single character to the name worked.

Even if you can't delete the update file, this method may still prevent the update from being installed.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I wonder if changing the build properties name would prevent that on the S3. I did that to another phone to prevent an update download, as the OTA checker wouldn't validate. Need to be rooted to change the name, but adding just a single character to the name worked.

Even if you can't delete the update file, this method may still prevent the update from being installed.
    Maybe. I was never comfortable changing that sort of stuff.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:

Maybe. I was never comfortable changing that sort of stuff.
    Obviously something the OP needs to research more before trying something like this. I didn't get more specific partly for that reason. I don't own an S3 myself, but my fiancé does, so I follow this forum for occasional help and chime in myself now and then.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Obviously something the OP needs to research more before trying something like this. I didn't get more specific partly for that reason. I don't own an S3 myself, but my fiancé does, so I follow this forum for occasional help and chime in myself now and then.
    Very true. I hope my comment didn't come off as insulting/rude. I consider myself somewhat of an intermediate when it comes to Android, and you are correct, changing the build properties is tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoltShock83839 View Post
    Just tried that and rebooted. So far, so good. The green icon is still up top, but the popup window hasn't showed up yet. Still hoping to discover the file somewhere in the folders.

Update:

It popped up again shortly after I typed the above.
    It's just occurred to me that you may have to click on 'later' to remove the full notification, then cancel notifications in Google framework app so it doesn't keep bothering you. I am still at a loss as to how to delete the file though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Very true. I hope my comment didn't come off as insulting/rude. I consider myself somewhat of an intermediate when it comes to Android, and you are correct, changing the build properties is tricky.
    Not at all.

Changing the build properties is no more tricky than changing a file name, but the fact you're dealing with stuff at the root level does make it something to research and be cautious with. On my phone, simply changing the build prop name only prevented update validation but nothing with over all functionality. Once ready to take the update, I changed the build prop back to what it was and it updated fine.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Has anyone tried using something like ES File Explorer: to search for update.zip starting at / (the root directory)?

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well, I found out (on accident) how to get it to stop bugging me with update install notification after I've downloaded the update.

I accidentally clicked on "Install Update" a few minutes ago and the phone instantaneously started to cut off and update. As it did I quickly did a battery pull and SIM pull.

After a few seconds, I replaced both, closed the back and rebooted. Once the phone came back up, it said "Software Installation Unsuccessful" or something similar. No popups to speak of now!

I'm assuming that if I want to install it now, I just go to the "Software Update" button again.