Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

bubblyduckie

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Alright so this is what happened. Since around 2 days ago, my Galaxy S 3 would have a black screen pop up for literally no reason, and it would mean it's turned off. My phone's also been really slow and laggy these days, especially when I'm trying to type. I kinda figured that it was lagging a lot and then died because overuse or something? I really don't know. I wasn't overusing it more than normal.

Anyway, I'd be using an app (like Facebook or Snapchat) then it would black screen/power off. It wouldn't power on if I pressed the home button or power button, so I took out the battery then put it back in. In the past 2 days I've done this a lot... (my charger has also been weird and won't charge unless it's in a certain position... so my phone's been on low battery or dying quick)

Right now, I've taken out the battery then turned it back on and now when I turn it on it's stuck on a weird screen... it has the android logo, and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" And on the top left corner in small print, it says "Could not do normal boot. ODIN MODE."

I don't know what to do :( :( Please help! I really didn't install anything and am not downloading anything? It's so weird. I don't know what "root" means. (I googled my problem but all these terms are so confusing) I really don't know anything about phones so please try to explain things in a way I would understand? D:

This isn't my picture, but I found it when I searched it up. This is what it looks like.
SG3 PROBLEM.jpg

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Alright so this is what happened. Since around 2 days ago, my Galaxy S 3 would have a black screen pop up for literally no reason, and it would mean it's turned off. My phone's also been really slow and laggy these days, especially when I'm trying to type. I kinda figured that it was lagging a lot and then died because overuse or something? I really don't know. I wasn't overusing it more than normal.

Anyway, I'd be using an app (like Facebook or Snapchat) then it would black screen/power off. It wouldn't power on if I pressed the home button or power button, so I took out the battery then put it back in. In the past 2 days I've done this a lot... (my charger has also been weird and won't charge unless it's in a certain position... so my phone's been on low battery or dying quick)

Right now, I've taken out the battery then turned it back on and now when I turn it on it's stuck on a weird screen... it has the android logo, and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" And on the top left corner in small print, it says "Could not do normal boot. ODIN MODE."

I don't know what to do :( :( Please help! I really didn't install anything and am not downloading anything? It's so weird. I don't know what "root" means. (I googled my problem but all these terms are so confusing) I really don't know anything about phones so please try to explain things in a way I would understand? D:

This isn't my picture, but I found it when I searched it up. This is what it looks like.
View attachment 97569

Welcome to the forums.
Try pulling the battery one more time. After that, clear cache in recovery. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

bubblyduckie

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Thanks for replying, I still haven't fixed it. On step 3b: "For the Galaxy S3, you will need to hold the volume up, home, and power button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo, and then release." I just get back to the same screen "Downloading... do not turn off target !!" I don't see any screen with blue bars that I can navigate with the volume buttons? :(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Are you still under warranty?

From a Sprint Moto X

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Judging by her picture I think she has many years left on her warranty :p
(Heh heh - couldn't pass up the opportunity - got to have fun once-in-awhile!) :D

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

bubblyduckie,
That key sequence is rather timing dependent - you should continue to hold all three keys until you see the Recovery menu.

If you still get taken to the Download screen, take the battery out, then remove your SIM card and SD card (if present). Reinsert the battery then try turning the phone on normally. If the phone boots normally, let it finish, then power it off fully. Remove the battery, reinsert the SIM card and SD card, replace the battery and see if the phone boots normally.

If none of this pans out it's time to take it to your local carrier store.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

bubblyduckie

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I forgot about this post haha. Thanks for all the help, but I ended up having to take it to the store. They said the only thing they could do is reset it, or send me a new phone (since I was under warranty) since there was no way to even get past the screen that was being displayed. So, I chose to get the replacement phone.

I asked them what the cause of this was, or if it would happen again.. He said sometimes if you're rooting it blah blah (which I haven't been doing). So he said, it's really rare, and I shouldn't worry about it happening again. Sigh :-\

Nik Gasparovic

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

Samsung has put out updates and they had bugs. They tried to fix them but only made them worse tryinging to fix them so fast. My galaxy s4 did that thing a couple mins ago with the "Odin" screen. I kept turning it off and on till it worked.

designwebs

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Today I tried to root and got the same thing. I got on IRC #Verizons3 and they helped me get back. They told me that since I had the latest OTA from VZW that was my problem.

Daniel De Vera

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
stuck on Odin mode in samsung galaxy tab android 3.2

well i was just gonna wipe my cache to take off the force closes but i accidently put on a wrong thing now i dont know what to go so i only have a power button and a volume up and down button and i still dont know what to do so please help me quick! because if my sister sees it im dead :'( :( im on odin3 download mode it is like this format:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----ODIN3 Download mode--------------
(Protocol v3.1)
Reason: Force Key
Secure mode : Secure
check Signature: check
Custom binary download : no (0 counts)
Current binary : samsung official
Waiting USB cable.......

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
DOWNLOADING
Do not turn off target!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
please help me! i want to know this quick!
P.S. im using a samsung galaxy tab. 3.1
my buttons are the power button and the 2 volumes thats only

victor mansour

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Hi victor mansour [deleted my Moderator] different story same picture androd donotturn off modsome mosture from bananna link in back phone on safety mode phone wanted to turn off!when shutting down phonetakingbattery out due to overheating battery!tried let system finish downloadingmade nodifferece called my provider birch comunication to currect problem by making phone like new!smaeproblem had differentproblem when lockoutofphone somesaidyou can pess done volum down&shut off putone plus third buton when hold button you can reset phone to manufature!nouthing happen!now asking for help& praing!

Last edited by a moderator:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

??? What???
Why would you post your phone number?

AC App on SGS3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Why would you post your phone number?
Let me guess - because he didn't read the posting guidelines that prohibit posting personal information like phone numbers or email addresses? Just a SWAG.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Ian Boldea

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

My [language]hath been saved.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

cihilt

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site

this happened for me when i used flashify

try hold +power +home +volume to reboot for a few seconds until a reboot
Let go of all of the keys and hold down Volume down, dont let go until you see the blue samsung animation.

Then should be able to boot up normally.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Pull the back off, then take the battery out. Put it back together and boot it up.

AC App on SGS3