Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Alright so this is what happened. Since around 2 days ago, my Galaxy S 3 would have a black screen pop up for literally no reason, and it would mean it's turned off. My phone's also been really slow and laggy these days, especially when I'm trying to type. I kinda figured that it was lagging a lot and then died because overuse or something? I really don't know. I wasn't overusing it more than normal.

Anyway, I'd be using an app (like Facebook or Snapchat) then it would black screen/power off. It wouldn't power on if I pressed the home button or power button, so I took out the battery then put it back in. In the past 2 days I've done this a lot... (my charger has also been weird and won't charge unless it's in a certain position... so my phone's been on low battery or dying quick)

Right now, I've taken out the battery then turned it back on and now when I turn it on it's stuck on a weird screen... it has the android logo, and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" And on the top left corner in small print, it says "Could not do normal boot. ODIN MODE."

I don't know what to do Please help! I really didn't install anything and am not downloading anything? It's so weird. I don't know what "root" means. (I googled my problem but all these terms are so confusing) I really don't know anything about phones so please try to explain things in a way I would understand? D:

This isn't my picture, but I found it when I searched it up. This is what it looks like.
    Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"-sg3-problem.jpg
    Last edited by bubblyduckie; 12-19-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added a picture

Global Posts
    13,796 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Quote Originally Posted by bubblyduckie View Post
    Alright so this is what happened. Since around 2 days ago, my Galaxy S 3 would have a black screen pop up for literally no reason, and it would mean it's turned off. My phone's also been really slow and laggy these days, especially when I'm trying to type. I kinda figured that it was lagging a lot and then died because overuse or something? I really don't know. I wasn't overusing it more than normal.

Anyway, I'd be using an app (like Facebook or Snapchat) then it would black screen/power off. It wouldn't power on if I pressed the home button or power button, so I took out the battery then put it back in. In the past 2 days I've done this a lot... (my charger has also been weird and won't charge unless it's in a certain position... so my phone's been on low battery or dying quick)

Right now, I've taken out the battery then turned it back on and now when I turn it on it's stuck on a weird screen... it has the android logo, and says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" And on the top left corner in small print, it says "Could not do normal boot. ODIN MODE."

I don't know what to do Please help! I really didn't install anything and am not downloading anything? It's so weird. I don't know what "root" means. (I googled my problem but all these terms are so confusing) I really don't know anything about phones so please try to explain things in a way I would understand? D:

This isn't my picture, but I found it when I searched it up. This is what it looks like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG3 PROBLEM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	97569
    Welcome to the forums.
    Try pulling the battery one more time. After that, clear cache in recovery. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Stuck on "Odin Mode" for no reason? Screen says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Thanks for replying, I still haven't fixed it. On step 3b: "For the Galaxy S3, you will need to hold the volume up, home, and power button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo, and then release." I just get back to the same screen "Downloading... do not turn off target !!" I don't see any screen with blue bars that I can navigate with the volume buttons?

Global Posts
    13,796 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Are you still under warranty?

From a Sprint Moto X

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Judging by her picture I think she has many years left on her warranty
    (Heh heh - couldn't pass up the opportunity - got to have fun once-in-awhile!)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

bubblyduckie,
    That key sequence is rather timing dependent - you should continue to hold all three keys until you see the Recovery menu.

If you still get taken to the Download screen, take the battery out, then remove your SIM card and SD card (if present). Reinsert the battery then try turning the phone on normally. If the phone boots normally, let it finish, then power it off fully. Remove the battery, reinsert the SIM card and SD card, replace the battery and see if the phone boots normally.

If none of this pans out it's time to take it to your local carrier store.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Golfdriver97 likes this.