Dropped phone - cracked digitizer, need help.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So I dropped and cracked my phone yet again, this is the Asurion replacement and I am not going to get another one again, moving on to the Note 3 though I really wanted to wait for the S5 but $100 for a new Note 3 I figured I had to go for it.

The phone looks flawless but if you look at the right angle you can see the screen is not cracked, the digitizer is cracked. Normally I crack the screen and not the digitizer and it functions fine. Screen is black, phone turns on, a little buggy though as I can't get anything to work...well I can't see anything but the problem is when I plug in the usb plug so I can save the contents of my internal sd card the computer does not see the phone. I am not sure why a cracked digitizer would do that. Any idea on how I can get the files of the internal memory?

Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone locked with a Pattern/PIN/Password? If so, the computer won't be able to access the contents of the phone until it's unlocked.

http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

Are you sure the digitizer is what's broken? There are three parts to the screen assembly:
- the Corning glass (protects everything)
- the digitizer (records touch)
- the OLED display (uh, displays everything)
If just the OLED display is broken, you could use an MHLHDMI adapter and connect the phone to a TV to see what's being displayed.

An easy way to see if the digitizer is working is to call the phone from another phone - even if the screen is locked, you can still swipe from left-to-right on the lower portion of the screen to answer the call. Good luck.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the phone locked with a Pattern/PIN/Password? If so, the computer won't be able to access the contents of the phone until it's unlocked.

RepairsUniverse.com

Are you sure the digitizer is what's broken? There are three parts to the screen assembly:
- the Corning glass (protects everything)
- the digitizer (records touch)
- the OLED display (uh, displays everything)
If just the OLED display is broken, you could use an MHLHDMI adapter and connect the phone to a TV to see what's being displayed.

An easy way to see if the digitizer is working is to call the phone from another phone - even if the screen is locked, you can still swipe from left-to-right on the lower portion of the screen to answer the call. Good luck.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

I just swipe to unlock no password and when I used to connect it to my laptop I never had to unlock it atleast from what I recall? I am not sure exactly what is broke, the glass looks okay but it looks almost like a hairline crack under the glass. Here is a photo attached, you can only see that if you angle it towards the sun or light. Straight on you can't see it and the screen is smooth and flawless. Thanks for the MHL idea, I did that and I can see my lock screen on my tv, just won't let me unlock it, so it won't accept my touch I guess.
2013-12-20 12.38.01.jpg

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I did something else. I plugged in a wireless usb mouse and dragged around (cant see its a black screen) and I got it to unlock. The button on the botton as well as the menu and back button work, light up to the touch and I hear the phone click when i press it, makes the noise when I raise volume too.I still can't get my laptop or my wifes laptop to see the phone when I connect it via usb, that is very odd.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Seems what I need is a way to hook up 2 usb devices, the MHL and the USB mouse, I can then navigate my phone on the tv and upload files to drop box but I don't think you can connect 2 things?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ha! This may be just what you're looking for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz