Verizon Galaxy S3 "Camera Failed"

Andrea Tirsky

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Every time I open the camera it goes black and shows me a warning saying "Camera Failed." I have done the following to try to fix it yet nothing worked: Cleared data and cache of the camera app and force stopped it, did the same with the gallery app, wiped cache partition, and did a factory restart on the phone. The camera still doesn't work after that. Any suggestions?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you on stock 4.3? I ask because what you are describing is a known issue if you try to use cm with an old modem. It also happens sometimes in cm when the camera crashes (but only until reboot).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
With factory reset and it still fails that is odd. Do you have other camera apps that may be overtaking the default one?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an External SD Card? It may be a corrupt file. Try taking the SD Card out and try the Gallery and Camera again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How old is the phone?
Has it been dropped recently?
Have you tried downloading a 3rd party Camera app?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I did everything I could. I also ran the test *#34971539#. after installing the firmware I still receive the message failed. ZDFI02 in both of those but camera does not work.

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
actally I have the att s3. i747u version and currently running 4.3 stock rom which was updated ota. after installing ZDFI02, I still get the error message "camera failed"

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
kit717,
You do realize that you're in the Verizon sub-forum?

You might want to start at the beginning:
- was the camera working before you accepted the 4.3 OTA?
- was your phone rooted, perhaps with a different kernel, before the update?
- have you tried a Factory Reset since the 4.3 update?
- is your phone currently rooted?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Camera was working before 4.3 at&t ota update and also after the update as well. I did root my s3 but everything was fine. Not sure what triggered it but I started receiving camera failed error. So my reaction was to clean cache, update camere firmware. Kinda got tired of it so I changed it to custom ROM to try it. Didn't work.

I got here through Google and didn't realize this is Verizon forum. I have made a post in at&t forum as well.

I m not really sure if this is hardware or software problem. I have open the back cover up and try to press down camera and connector but nothing is working.

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I did root my s3 but everything was fine.
'was' being the operative word - perhaps you should consider reloading the stock AT&T 4.3 firmware, and if the camera works, just leave well enough alone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Actually I just unrooted my phone and sent in as it was under warranty. They replaced the camera component without any charge.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nenadnyc

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have same problem.
Did following; wiped cache, clear gallery, took out sd card, hard reset,
It was working on 4.1.2 and stoppped, than I got update to 4.3 and still doesn`t work.
I`ve also replaed camera from my friens and still no go.Actually I`ve swapped cameras from S3 by AT&T to my S3 Vzn and vice versa, either way his S3 camera worked fine.
I`veremoved all apps like skype which are using camera and still no go, Installed camera fx no go.
Installed QR and no go.
Checked pin area conecttion for camera and visually looks fine, no broken pins.
Any idea? I am researching for solution over a month.
Software probabbly cause I`ve replaced hardware and still nothing,
Thanx

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It was working on 4.1.2 and stopped
What happened when it quit working? Any rooting or similar activity?

You could try reloading the firmware from scratch and see what happens, but it's probable that it's something on the mainboard.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781