Verizon S3: Unstable Internet after 4.3 update.

ryanbart

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello, my fathers s3 has had a issue that it says wifi is unstable. It all happened after the 4.3 update. Can anyone help?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Unstable Internet after 4.3 update.

Go to settings > WiFi > Advanced options and turn off the option "Avoid poor connections"

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Go to settings > WiFi > Advanced options and turn off the option "Avoid poor connections"

Can't find it on mine either. I am on stock as well. I went to settings - Wifi - menu - Advanced - no choice stating what you are.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mcgowane79

May 31, 2011
Visit site

Can't find it on mine either. I am on stock as well. I went to settings - Wifi - menu - Advanced - no choice stating what you are.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Same here. I have been getting the unstable connection notification quite a bit since the update to 4.3

dawghowse

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.
This worked for me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

My experience has been that the error message is accurate. My home internet/ISP is finicky and whenever the internet has an issue my phone gives me the error.

At the facility I train at the WiFi sometimes drops out and whenever that happens it gets the error.

At places where I don't have issues, I never see it pop up. So it isn't out of the realm of possibility that the phone is detecting issues that you don't' necessarily see or feel yourself.

I just kept it on. It's informative for me to know if a WiFi hotspot in an LTE covered area may be unstable, so that I can decide whether I want to deal with it and save data or switch to LTE for more reliability.

lteitelb

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I have been experiencing the same issues since the update on networks that never had any issues before. I tried the suggestion about wiping the cache. It did not help.

Also, before the update, I was able to set my unlock to be a swipe followed by a pin code. Now I can have a swipe OR a pin code, but not both.

William Blackwell

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Try updating the firmware on your router. D-Link published an update 6/13 specifically for Galaxy devices. Fixed my problems. 34ms pings all day now!!

trippap

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Same problem. Phone worked fine until 4.3 upgrade. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon support before the bandaid fix to turn off automatic network switching, which stopped phone from disabling my Wi-Fi connection, and now everything appears to work except that I cannot send or receive mms messages. I can browse through my Wi-Fi connection, but messages are somehow blocked. If I turn off Wi-Fi, then messages go fine. Since I've had the phone since Jan 2013, it's now out of warranty and Verizon will do nothing. I see the situation as the software upgrade they recommended and supplied through my contract broke my phone, and they are trying to wash their hands of the matter. Of course they've made it so that you cannot go back to the older version that worked, and they've also made it extremely difficult to unlock the boot loader with 4.3, so rooting is not a good option. I'm wondering what legal rights I, and other Verizon S3 users, who accepted the upgrade to 4.3, have. I'm just about mad enough to talk to a lawyer about the situation.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Of course they've made it so that you cannot go back to the older version that worked, and they've also made it extremely difficult to unlock the boot loader with 4.3, so rooting is not a good option.
There is a solution to roll back to 4.1.2 (while still being stuck with the 4.3 bootloader) http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3408870

You can also easily root 4.3 if there's some advantage for you in doing that http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung. Here was their suggestion to MY problem. I can not get a solid WiFi signal from MOST routers in the community. I get a message that the Network is unstable. Here are the directions I was given but I won't know if it worked until I get out into the community later today.

1 Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
2 Press Volume Up key + Home key + Power key.
3 The device will vibrate and then let go of all the keys.
4 The device will show 5 different options.
5 Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition.
6 Press the Power key to select.

Hope it works for YOU!

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been unable to connect to WiFi networks (consistently) in the community (i.e. Stop & Shop ScanIt). I would receive an error message indicating the the networks is unstable and to retry. When I chatteed onlin with Samsug today. Here is there suggestion:
Stewart: 1 Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
Stewart: 2 Press Volume Up key + Home key + Power key.
Stewart: 3 The device will vibrate and then let go of all the keys.
Stewart: 4 The device will show 5 different options.
Stewart: 5 Navigate with the Volume keys to the wipe cache partition.
Stewart: 6 Press the Power key to select.

trippap

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My main issue was that I could not send or receive MMS messages if I was connected via WiFi. I tried cleaning the cache, and reinstalling the OS with no luck in fixing the MMS problem. Finally, I spent several hours with a Samsung rep at a Samsung kiosk in my local Best Buy installing an entirely new, clean copy of 4.3. I remembered that I had updated my Kaspersky Internet Security software to the 2014 version in mid January, so we made sure it was not installed. The problem with MMS messages disappeared, and I have not seen any "Internet instability" messages. I suspect that there's something in the Kaspersky 2014 version that blocks MMS messaging on 4.3. I have not reinstalled the Kaspersky product yet, but I plan to try it when I have a few hours of time to waste is it is indeed the problem. The good news: 4.3 seems to work fine without the Kaspersky 2014 protection. The bad news is I'm using my phone without any Internet security features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463