Verizon S3: No display. Need to unroot for warranty claim.

fourthbrook

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Heads up! it's late and im stressed so there wit most likely be a lot of spelling/grammar errors plus a lot of stuff i'm missing.

Start from the beginning.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III rooted and loaded with AOKP Jellybean Milestone two.

I dropped my phone this morning, first time with this phone, on to the kitchen tile. The screen went black. It would start up and I could receive calls and texts, and I could still unlock it.(I could feel the feed back from the glass). The screen is just black.

After messing with it for a bit to try and fix it, I couldn't find a solution. I called verizon and they are going to have a new one to me by wednesday. The call took no more than 5 minutes. I do however have to send my current one back. I need to prep it to send back(i.e. unroot, stock rom, reset counter) but my screen is broke so I don't know if im doing it correctly.

I have gotten to the download screen and past the check point(volume up) just fine and loaded a stock rom via ODIN but when it reboots i can tell it is stuck on a boot screen cause the flashy blue led stays on, for as long as the phone has power.

Im not sure what to do now. If I send it back in this condition im sure verizon will know I had a custom rom because one it won't boot all the way and two the counter will not be reset.

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: No display. Need to unroot for warranty claim.

When the new phone arrives take the screen off and connect it to the original phone; do whatever needs to be done; reattach it to the new phone.

Or purchase one of these and hook it up to your TV with a mouse and keyboard.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

fourthbrook

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

awesome I found one of those on ebay for a few dollars lets hope I win the auction.

Any link I could follow on how to disconnect and reconnect the screen?

fourthbrook

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

I just thought of something.

If i buy a smart hub and hook it up It won't solve the problem Im having of it not booting all the way will it?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Well your screen is broke... IF your charge port was broke as well they could never find out :)

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

If i buy a smart hub and hook it up It won't solve the problem Im having of it not booting all the way will it?
No, but you'll be able to see what's going on and possibly correct it. Perhaps what you're flashing in Odin?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

fourthbrook

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

So it will show even the boot process on the surrogate screen? With it plugged into the dock would I be able to use the download and service menu?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

So it will show even the boot process on the surrogate screen?
I would assume so, but I don't have one so I can't say for sure. Let me dig out my MHL<>HDMI cable and see what happens during boot.
With it plugged into the dock would I be able to use the download and service menu?
I don't see why not - you're just using the hardware buttons for those functions.