Can't Play Protected WMA on Samsung Galaxy S3

Jill Colver

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been downloading audiobooks on to my computer using Overdrive Media then transferring them to my Galaxy S3. Since the 4.3 update, my music player gives me the message that 'the player doesn't support this type of audiobook'. I have tried using 9 other music players on my Galaxy, none of which work. Has anyone found a work-around?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Jill,
Have you tried Poweramp: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&token=9bqrIl6B - it advertises support for wma pro (which I can only assume means protected).

Edit: did this work before the update to 4.3? A quick Google search makes it seem like Android doesn't support protected wma files, and you basically have to convert them before transfer to your device.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jill Colver

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, GSDer. Yes, I did try Poweramp and it played so fast that it was just gibberish.
Yes, for some reason, up until the Jellybean upgrade I could play the WMA file on my android phone after downloading it to my laptop using Overdrive Media Console, then transferring it to my phone. I do have Overdrive Media Console installed on my phone but it doesn't make available the particular series of audiobooks I am now listening to because they aren't available in the MP3 format. I am listening to the 17th book of a series of 23 and would like to be able to listen to the rest of them on my phone.
Yesterday I downloaded a converter - Aimersoft - and it successfully converted the book from DRM WMA to MP3 but only one minute of each chapter, because it is only a trial. The working version costs $30. I can find an MP3 player for less than that. Maybe I can find a free converter.

Rebelvis

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My Public Library, from which I usually download DRM audio books usually says which devices a given book are compatible with. In many cases my Android is not on the list though my little Sansa MP3 player almost always is. I think the crux of it is that Android won't let Overdrive force you to dump the files after your license has expired, so the Overdrive app won't fix things.

One work-around I use is to load the files onto the MP3 player using the computer's Overdrive program, then copy them back to my computer using file explorer to any location I specify. You can then load them onto the phone as you would any MP3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam