Battery running down too fast

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm using 4.1.2 operating system and have turned off all the battery hogs that I can think of (e.g. display brightness, gps, bluetooth)
Also looked at running applications and stopped some.
With hardly any use at all today and starting with 100% charge 6 hours ago I'm down to 57%. That just doesn't seem right.
I uninstalled Weather Underground which was a constant presence, regularly updating weather information. Thought that might have been the cause, but it hasn't helped the rapid depletion of power.
Any ideas?

Isabel

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried clearing system cache & pulling battery? How long has this been happening? Have you installed any new apps lately? I found upgrading to 4.3 has extended battery somewhat.

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm using 4.1.2 operating system and have turned off all the battery hogs that I can think of (e.g. display brightness, gps, bluetooth)
With hardly any use at all today and starting with 100% charge 6 hours ago I'm down to 57%. That just doesn't seem right.
I uninstalled Weather Underground which was a constant presence, regularly updating weather information. Thought that might have been the cause, but it hasn't helped the rapid depletion of power.
Any ideas?

Isabel

My battery life got better when I went to 4.3, it is available in Settings->About Phone->Software Update.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Any ideas?

Isabel

How long has this been happening? It could just be that your battery is getting old, you can buy a new one for around $10 online.

Posted via Android Central App

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't even know where the system cache is and I will look for 4.3. Didn't know it was available. Verizon usually updates automatically (hopefully after kinks are worked out).
Will try to update manually and will try to clear the cache once I found out how to do that and upgrade the operating system + battery pull - first!
Thanks for the input.
Isabel

How long has this been happening? It could just be that your battery is getting old, you can buy a new one for around $10 online.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't even know where the system cache is and I will look for 4.3. Didn't know it was available. Verizon usually updates automatically (hopefully after kinks are worked out).
Will try to update manually and will try to clear the cache once I found out how to do that and upgrade the operating system + battery pull - first!
Thanks for the input.
Isabel

You can wipe the cache in recovery. Turn the phone off,then hold volume up+home+power until you see small blur letters in the top left corner and release it. Then use the volume up and down buttons to navigate and power to select the options.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Decided not to choose anything and pressed power button to shut off phone - then I saw "wiping cache now". Good thing I didn't leave it on reset!

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm also working on battery drain on 4.3. My phone is rooted, so I have frozen a whole lot of unused apps, using Titanium Backup. Also, I've installed greenify and the xposed framework, and have greenified several apps including maps, play service and play store apps, and so on.

One tool for tracking down apps that use more battery than they should that's useful and easy to use is the "wakelock detector" app, which will tell you what apps are keeping your phone awake (which uses more battery, as opposed to sleeping when idle). You don't need to have your phone rooted for this one, just download it, let it run, and then look at the list of apps that ran when you weren't using your phone. Betterbatterystats will give you more information, but the user interface is less intuitive and more cluttered. It's also a very useful too for tracking down battery usage on your phone, and doesn't require a rooted phone, either.

I'm also trying not using wifi at home, just to see if that helps. Don't know yet, it might take less battery if the phone isn't switching between wifi and mobile data (have had both enabled), or mobile data alone at home might use more battery. Not sure yet.

Anyways, I had the battery usage on 4.1.2 down to less than 1% per hour when idle. Hoping to get 4.3 at least below 2% per hour when idle. We'll see.

Update: My phone's battery usage on idle is just under 2% per hour now. Still looking, would like to get it lower than that.

Last edited: