New update: How do I turn off vibrate for email notifications?

redwing634

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I still can't figure out how to turn off vibrate for emails. Previously, with the phone set to vibrate, I would only get vibrates for texts and calls. Now it vibrates for each email I receive. Already checked and vibrate is disabled within the Gmail and Email apps. This only started happening with the new update.

How can I get it to only vibrate for texts/calls?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you also turned off "Vibrate when ringing" under the Settings>Sound​ menu?

redwing634

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, and no, I don't see a specific option for "vibrate when ringing" from my sound settings, but for example.. i put volume for everything to 0, with rington set to vibrate. Previously, it would vibrate for calls and texts, but for emails it would just show a notification (and flashing led), but no vibration.

Now it does all of that but ALSO vibrates for emails, which I do not want. I'm not sure why that was added to this update but I'm trying to get rid of it.

droidlethus

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
The update gave me this same problem. I solved it in a way that ONLY removed the vibrate from emails. Emails still made a sound (like I want them to, but you can make them soundless), and texts still vibrate and make sound. I'll put the solution first, then background below (background can be important because different carriers have slightly different Android builds).

To solve:
  1. Open Gmail app
  2. Click the menu button softkey (in case I have the name wrong, I mean the button to the left of the physical home button)
  3. Click Settings. Here, you should see General Settings, [a list of your gmail account(s)], and About Gmail
  4. Click on an account, it will open to another menu
  5. Click on Inbox sound & vibrate (third option down for me)
  6. On this new menu, look for the following two fields: Sound (leads to a "choose file" option); and Vibrate (a checkbox)
  7. Quick side note: You may have discovered that unchecking Vibrate doesn't actually turn off vibrations. We need to go deeper.
  8. Look at the Sound option. Does it currently say Default ringtone ([your notification tone]) ? If it does, that's the problem.
  9. Click on Sound, then choose the sound you want from the menu (as opposed to leaving it on Default ringtone)
  10. Leave Vibrate unchecked (because everyone likes specificity in their instructions)
  11. Repeat for any other accounts you have
  12. Enjoy the return of a calm pocket

This way, it should still play sounds when sound is enabled, but will never vibrate. My conjecture as to why this happens: the "default ringtone" is not simply just a ringtone, but also now has the vibrate inherently attached to it (if vibrate is enabled for texts). This is also probably why we cannot change the way the texts vibrate.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and am on Verizon in Oregon (in the off chance that states have different rollout dates). Before the update, which occurred this morning, my gmail notifications were set up to play the Bubbles sound (one of the stock options) and not vibrate at all. If the phone was in vibrate mode, no sound or vibration would occur, though it would still put a notification in the toolbar.

After the update, SO MANY VIBRATIONS! All of the things were vibrating. And while that isn't the only grievance I have with this update, it was the one I fixed.

Hope this helps. Verizon, if you're watching, we'd all greatly appreciate a fix to the battery drain. I remember that when a previous, non-android update caused battery drain, you all were on top of it and released a fix within a couple weeks. Do it again, please!

runebladez

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi there -

Followed the instruction below but unfortunately my Galaxy Note 4 on Kitkat 4.4.4 still vibrates when receiving an email in Gmail (w/ Gmail App).

General sound settings:
Sound mode: Vibrate
Notifications: Good News
Vibrate when ringing is greyed out (and unchecked)

In the Gmail app:
Sound is set to Bubbles and vibrate is obviously unchecked.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

DoctorWh0

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: email notification sound from Note 4 email app

I have been an apple user and new to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 I honestly would prefer to just use the email app already downloaded on the phone instead of downloading a new one but if its needed willing to try it but i would like to know where to change my email notification sound i found the priority sender sound but not the general email notification sound any help would be awesome.

tradle

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
This was bothering me too - but in the end the redundancy of Samsung is at play. To disable vibrate notifications for email or SMS on the Note 4, go to:

Settings -> Sound -> Vibration intensity

Roll back the sliders and voila! No more vibration on notifications. It was bugging the heck out of me that the check box in the SMS app was greyed out and unable to be changed; but as it turns out, it made sense why given the global nature of this setting.

Michael Hickins

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU!!! Oh my god Thank you!! I need to have my smartphone by my bed because it's my alarm clock, but the email notifications were waking me up all the time. Sleep, thy name is Android.

Mike_Rashad

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much! I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was so frustrated with the fact that I turned off vibration for my Twitter app, but when I got notifications, it vibrated anyway. This made sense and helped me out a lot. Thanks again dude...

Daphnee Neunteufel

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
hi.. i have registered and saw too late that i had forgotten to take a User Name and now it shows my full name. I tried to change that but it would not let me.
I thought maybe i should delete the account and re-register but i don't see how to delete it.
Thanks.. Daphnée

stanash

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
This is fine and dandy, but if I WANT vibrations on SMS, but not on email, this doesn't work.

It sucks that I can set email notifications to NOT vibrate, and it still does. This is only on certain email apps like gmail, and email+ (have to use the later for work, which is where the problem is.)

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The update gave me this same problem. I solved it in a way that ONLY removed the vibrate from emails. Emails still made a sound (like I want them to, but you can make them soundless), and texts still vibrate and make sound. I'll put the solution first, then background below (background can be important because different carriers have slightly different Android builds).

To solve:
  1. Open Gmail app
  2. Click the menu button softkey (in case I have the name wrong, I mean the button to the left of the physical home button)
  3. Click Settings. Here, you should see General Settings, [a list of your gmail account(s)], and About Gmail
  4. Click on an account, it will open to another menu
  5. Click on Inbox sound & vibrate (third option down for me)
  6. On this new menu, look for the following two fields: Sound (leads to a "choose file" option); and Vibrate (a checkbox)
  7. Quick side note: You may have discovered that unchecking Vibrate doesn't actually turn off vibrations. We need to go deeper.
  8. Look at the Sound option. Does it currently say Default ringtone ([your notification tone]) ? If it does, that's the problem.
  9. Click on Sound, then choose the sound you want from the menu (as opposed to leaving it on Default ringtone)
  10. Leave Vibrate unchecked (because everyone likes specificity in their instructions)
  11. Repeat for any other accounts you have
  12. Enjoy the return of a calm pocket

This way, it should still play sounds when sound is enabled, but will never vibrate. My conjecture as to why this happens: the "default ringtone" is not simply just a ringtone, but also now has the vibrate inherently attached to it (if vibrate is enabled for texts). This is also probably why we cannot change the way the texts vibrate.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and am on Verizon in Oregon (in the off chance that states have different rollout dates). Before the update, which occurred this morning, my gmail notifications were set up to play the Bubbles sound (one of the stock options) and not vibrate at all. If the phone was in vibrate mode, no sound or vibration would occur, though it would still put a notification in the toolbar.

After the update, SO MANY VIBRATIONS! All of the things were vibrating. And while that isn't the only grievance I have with this update, it was the one I fixed.

Hope this helps. Verizon, if you're watching, we'd all greatly appreciate a fix to the battery drain. I remember that when a previous, non-android update caused battery drain, you all were on top of it and released a fix within a couple weeks. Do it again, please!

Thank you very much!! This solved my problem.

jrinco11

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
This is fine and dandy, but if I WANT vibrations on SMS, but not on email, this doesn't work.

It sucks that I can set email notifications to NOT vibrate, and it still does. This is only on certain email apps like gmail, and email+ (have to use the later for work, which is where the problem is.)
stanash, did you ever resolve this? I am experiencing the same exact issue with my Note 3 and I can't stand it. I want to have all notifications to be able to vibrate when I have sound turned off EXCEPT for gmail, and none of these proposed solutions resolve this.

KashifSheikh1

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
stanash, did you ever resolve this? I am experiencing the same exact issue with my Note 3 and I can't stand it. I want to have all notifications to be able to vibrate when I have sound turned off EXCEPT for gmail, and none of these proposed solutions resolve this.

This is one of the many reasons I regret every believing the hype and investing in what was initially just money, but now also time in getting something to work as it should out of the box.

The Samsung S7 edge seems to get such high praise from virtually everyone yet in my experience, it's sluggish, suffers from random app crashes, touch wiz crashes, the keyboard is atrocious, I can't add contacts to my hotmail account via the normal contact route, I've lost emails and contacts to name some of the issues.

Windows phone and now seems to get bad press but it kills anything that android can do. It's a shame I can't just right this phone off as it's probably the most frustrating phone I have ever paid for.

RichMast

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Changed the SOUND to "none" on the ones that I don't want vibration for, and it worked to stop vibration. Not sure why, since vibe was unchecked.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a super old thread but I wanted to say thank you. I just purchased a note 7 and the vibrations EVERY time i received an email was truly driving me insane and I couldnt figure out at all how to turn that off!