Verizon S3: How to stop the 4.3 update?

firedog1247

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I've been reading a lot about the problems with the new update. Is there any way to stop it? My phone has apparently downloaded the new update but hasn't installed it. Its sitting in the notification area and it keeps popping up for me to install it. Is there any way to make this go away because I DON'T WANT IT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to stop the 4.3 update?

There has always been options for those who have rooted there phones to disable receiving the OTA update. On stock/unrooted as far as I know you have to just keep denying or ignoring it.

firedog1247

May 30, 2013
Visit site

UGGGGhhh! Its just sitting in my notification bar, worrying the crap out of me popping up every time I unlock my phone to use it. I hate this!

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

My phone hasn't been un-rooted for a long time, but if you can disable the SDM app using "Application Manager", that should help. I've frozen it using Titanium Backup, but that's limited to rooted phones.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I've been reading a lot about the problems with the new update. Is there any way to stop it? My phone has apparently downloaded the new update but hasn't installed it. Its sitting in the notification area and it keeps popping up for me to install it. Is there any way to make this go away because I DON'T WANT IT!

I was wondering the same thing. When i had my HTC Tbolt there was an OTA that messed up a lot of phones in a manner like this one does for the GS3. With the Tbolt, you could postpone installation only a few times and then it would force install the OTA. Does anybody know if the same is true with this OTA on the GS3?

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
We're DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!...

The install screen will get ya...It will pop up at an unfortunate time when you are ready to press on an icon and you will inadvertently hit the install. Then it will be too late. The phone is timing you....it is watching, it is aware....

We are DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
We're DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!...

The install screen will get ya...It will pop up at an unfortunate time when you are ready to press on an icon and you will inadvertently hit the install. Then it will be too late. The phone is timing you....it is watching, it is aware....

We are DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!

You can disable the notification to install the update. Go to settings - application manager - all - Google services framework. Hit disable, and you won't see it again until you reactivate. Not so doomed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You can disable the notification to install the update. Go to settings - application manager - all - Google services framework. Hit disable, and you won't see it again until you reactivate. Not so doomed!

But will the OTA force install even after disabling the notification??

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
But will the OTA force install even after disabling the notification??

No, it will simply stop the annoying notification & install window. Just click 'install later' in the window, then disable the app as explained. I'm still running 4.3 on my Nexus 7, even though I downloaded the kit-Kat 4.4 update a while ago. I just don't want it yet, and now no longer have the annoying prompt.

CaptFireBuster

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 and when I click the "install later" option as you mentioned, it prompts me to select a time. If I click 'cancel' it reverts back to the install prompt. I cleared the screen and went to the Framework setting and disabled, but the 'install update' prompt is still there. Do I need to restart my phone to clear the prompt and allow the 'disable Framework' setting to take affect, or should I choose a time to update to make it go away and allow the setting change in Application manager to thwart the update?
Thanks

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 and when I click the "install later" option as you mentioned, it prompts me to select a time. If I click 'cancel' it reverts back to the install prompt. I cleared the screen and went to the Framework setting and disabled, but the 'install update' prompt is still there. Do I need to restart my phone to clear the prompt and allow the 'disable Framework' setting to take affect, or should I choose a time to update to make it go away and allow the setting change in Application manager to thwart the update?
Thanks

I've been postponing the update (install later and choosing a time) whenever it pops up on my screen. Been doing that for about 4 days now. Today i disabled the Google Services Framework app as roguetrader suggested. Later tonight i will know if that's a viable solution to prevent the OTA from installing on the GS3 (fingers crossed).

CaptFireBuster

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks

Yep, you might just have to shut down the phone after disabling the app, then restart. Let me know what happens, as I say, I haven't seen the notification for over a month now.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you might just have to shut down the phone after disabling the app, then restart. Let me know what happens, as I say, I haven't seen the notification for over a month now.

Have you checked your software version lately? Just to make sure it didn't install without you knowing. It sounds silly, i know. Just making sure.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked your software version lately? Just to make sure it didn't install without you knowing. It sounds silly, i know. Just making sure.

Absolutely, I'm still running 4.3 - I'm not interested in KitKat!

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

You also haven't been able to use Google Play or Gmail for over a month either.

Last edited:

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks

Thousand apologies, I wasn't clear enough - you have to disable the notifications within the app.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Thousand apologies, I wasn't clear enough - you have to disable the notifications within the app.

I tried that too. Unfortunately it didn't work. At first i thought it was working, the OTA update icon was in the notification bar for about 45 minutes and then the message popped up on my screen like normal.

DMAC5329

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried that too. Unfortunately it didn't work. At first i thought it was working, the OTA update icon was in the notification bar for about 45 minutes and then the message popped up on my screen like normal.

Pull down the notification bar. You will see the update notification. Long press sdm green notification..app info will pop up...press it and press force close. It will stop the notification until you restart your phone. If you restart your phone then you will have to repeat the process.

You can also go to settings: application manager: All then look down the list for SDM press it and force close.

the notification pull down bar is the easiest to do if it has prompted you to install the update. It will disappear from your notifications once you force close it.