Verizon S3: How to stop the 4.3 update?

grm3

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This may just be coincidence, but I got the update notification to stop by letting the update download and clearing the install message by hitting the back button (not deferring to a later time). Then, I turned the phone off and booted to recovery to clear the partition cache. I then re-booted the phone and let the install run when the notification popped up again. The install ran, but I then got a message that the update failed (code 410). That was about 10 days ago, and I haven't seen anything on my phone since regarding the update. I don't know if the cache clear caused the update to fail or if it was just a bad download, but if you want to play a little Russian Roulette...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the cache clear caused the update to fail
The cache clear wipes out the actual update.zip file (the OTA) so there's nothing to execute when the installer goes to run it, which causes the update to fail.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The cache clear wipes out the actual update.zip file (the OTA) so there's nothing to execute when the installer goes to run it, which causes the update to fail.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

I actually cleared cache the day after my phone downloaded the OTA lol. I was thinking that it would "prepare" my phone so there wouldn't any problems with the new software. But then i remembered about other OTA's that messed up other phones and decided to see if there were any problems with this one. Phew! Anyway, despite clearing cache, i'm still nervous about "installing" the OTA so i'll i hold off. This way i hope it won't be re-sent to my phone either. ;)

tams123

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
i'm having the same problem as you too. i've been postponing it every 3 hours. So did disabling Google Services Framework help? and did it stop Play Store from running?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i've been postponing it every 3 hours
As mentioned earlier in the thread, boot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache, then reboot and let it run, which will result in a failure and it shouldn't bother you again.

Lenny1952

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned earlier in the thread, boot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache, then reboot and let it run, which will result in a failure and it shouldn't bother you again.

How do you do a reboot in safe mode? For a rookie could you give a step by step instruction please:-\

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
How do you do a reboot in safe mode?
Do you really want to know how to reboot in Safe mode (see http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242) or did you want to know how to reboot in Recovery mode (which is what you quoted)? Here's a summary about Recovery mode and Download mode:

- you use Recovery mode to clear the system cache and to Factory Reset
- you use Download (aka Odin) mode (showing the Android guy) to load/reload firmware
- the key sequences to enter both modes are very similar, and they are timing dependent so it may take a few tries to get it working
-- Recovery = Volume Up + Home + Power
-- Download = Volume Down + Home + Power
- for either, you start with the phone completely off
- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling logo (not the static white text)

Use the Volume rockers to navigate; use the Power button to select.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

lkovach

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
This isn't even the KitKat update yet. This update is just adding the ability to roam on the Telus network in Canada. Check your facts before you start complaining about it. You can install this update, it won't hurt your phone.

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
You can disable the notification to install the update. Go to settings - application manager - all - Google services framework. Hit disable, and you won't see it again until you reactivate. Not so doomed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks. This is what I have done. :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I cant get to "application manager all tab" the tab itself is no longer on the application manager screen.
So, you can get to the Application manager, but when you swipe to the left or right you don't see an ALL tab? What tabs do you see?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

khaliliput

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi.
Actually there is no need for the phone to be rooted! Here's the way to stop auto update of OS (KitKat)
1. Go to (system) settings
2. Find "About phone" or "About Device"
3. Open "Software update"
4. Here find the option of "Auto update" or something like that, and deselect it. It's all done; it will never check for the OS updates automatically unless you check update Manually.

But please pay attention that if your phone have already checked for updates and it shows update to KitKat or other, you should do the followings before:
1. Go to (system) settings
2. Find "Apps" or "Application Manager" or something like that!
3. find the "software update" application or something like that.
4. Force Stop the app
5. Push "Clear Cache" and "Clear Data" both.
6. Now you can do the steps mentioned above to stop auto update thereafter.

Finally restart your phone and enjoy it. :)

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to stop the 4.3 update?

I'm late with this message, but hoping this is useful for other people, there's no need to root for this workaround, and it turned out to be very easy, but I was in your same situation until I discovered how to do it: open the Security menu, and enter "Apps" sub-menu. Locate "Google Play Services" and don't stop it (because Google Play Store would stop connecting), just uncheck the option "Show notifications", and that's it! You won't receive that annoying notification anymore!

galaxyS4Verizon

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is rooted you can download and run a terminal emulator:

1. Make yourself the superuser (after entering "su" you should see a # which indicates you are rooted:

su

2. Mount /system as read/write:

cd system
cd app
mount -o rw,remount /system

3. Rename SDM.apk to SDM.apk.bak and FWUpload.apk to FWUpload.apk.bak (these are the apks that keep trying to auto-download updates):

rename SDM.apk SDM.apk.bak
rename FWUpload.apk FWUpload.apk.bak

4. check that the 2 files have been renamed using ls (l = lowercase L)

ls

5. Remount /system as Read Only:

mount -o ro,remount /system

DONE

If you ever want to get updates again (if your rooted phone will take them):
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
cd system
cd app
rename SDM.apk.bak SDM.apk
rename FWUpload.apk.bak FWUpload.apk
mount -o ro,remount /system