Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon S3: How to stop the 4.3 update?

Hey all, I've been reading a lot about the problems with the new update. Is there any way to stop it? My phone has apparently downloaded the new update but hasn't installed it. Its sitting in the notification area and it keeps popping up for me to install it. Is there any way to make this go away because I DON'T WANT IT!

Default Re: How to stop the 4.3 update?

There has always been options for those who have rooted there phones to disable receiving the OTA update. On stock/unrooted as far as I know you have to just keep denying or ignoring it.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

UGGGGhhh! Its just sitting in my notification bar, worrying the crap out of me popping up every time I unlock my phone to use it. I hate this!

My phone hasn't been un-rooted for a long time, but if you can disable the SDM app using "Application Manager", that should help. I've frozen it using Titanium Backup, but that's limited to rooted phones.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Default Re: Verizon S3: How to stop the 4.3 update?

Quote Originally Posted by firedog1247 View Post
    Hey all, I've been reading a lot about the problems with the new update. Is there any way to stop it? My phone has apparently downloaded the new update but hasn't installed it. Its sitting in the notification area and it keeps popping up for me to install it. Is there any way to make this go away because I DON'T WANT IT!
    I was wondering the same thing. When i had my HTC Tbolt there was an OTA that messed up a lot of phones in a manner like this one does for the GS3. With the Tbolt, you could postpone installation only a few times and then it would force install the OTA. Does anybody know if the same is true with this OTA on the GS3?

We're DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!...

The install screen will get ya...It will pop up at an unfortunate time when you are ready to press on an icon and you will inadvertently hit the install. Then it will be too late. The phone is timing you....it is watching, it is aware....

We are DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Plucknbach View Post
    We're DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!...

The install screen will get ya...It will pop up at an unfortunate time when you are ready to press on an icon and you will inadvertently hit the install. Then it will be too late. The phone is timing you....it is watching, it is aware....

We are DOOMED I TELLS YA!!! DOOMED!!!
    You can disable the notification to install the update. Go to settings - application manager - all - Google services framework. Hit disable, and you won't see it again until you reactivate. Not so doomed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    You can disable the notification to install the update. Go to settings - application manager - all - Google services framework. Hit disable, and you won't see it again until you reactivate. Not so doomed!

But will the OTA force install even after disabling the notification??

Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    But will the OTA force install even after disabling the notification??
    No, it will simply stop the annoying notification & install window. Just click 'install later' in the window, then disable the app as explained. I'm still running 4.3 on my Nexus 7, even though I downloaded the kit-Kat 4.4 update a while ago. I just don't want it yet, and now no longer have the annoying prompt.

I have a Galaxy S3 and when I click the "install later" option as you mentioned, it prompts me to select a time. If I click 'cancel' it reverts back to the install prompt. I cleared the screen and went to the Framework setting and disabled, but the 'install update' prompt is still there. Do I need to restart my phone to clear the prompt and allow the 'disable Framework' setting to take affect, or should I choose a time to update to make it go away and allow the setting change in Application manager to thwart the update?
    Thanks

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by CaptFireBuster View Post
    I have a Galaxy S3 and when I click the "install later" option as you mentioned, it prompts me to select a time. If I click 'cancel' it reverts back to the install prompt. I cleared the screen and went to the Framework setting and disabled, but the 'install update' prompt is still there. Do I need to restart my phone to clear the prompt and allow the 'disable Framework' setting to take affect, or should I choose a time to update to make it go away and allow the setting change in Application manager to thwart the update?
    Thanks
    I've been postponing the update (install later and choosing a time) whenever it pops up on my screen. Been doing that for about 4 days now. Today i disabled the Google Services Framework app as roguetrader suggested. Later tonight i will know if that's a viable solution to prevent the OTA from installing on the GS3 (fingers crossed).

Thanks

Thanks
    Yep, you might just have to shut down the phone after disabling the app, then restart. Let me know what happens, as I say, I haven't seen the notification for over a month now.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Yep, you might just have to shut down the phone after disabling the app, then restart. Let me know what happens, as I say, I haven't seen the notification for over a month now.

Have you checked your software version lately? Just to make sure it didn't install without you knowing. It sounds silly, i know. Just making sure.

Have you checked your software version lately? Just to make sure it didn't install without you knowing. It sounds silly, i know. Just making sure.
    Absolutely, I'm still running 4.3 - I'm not interested in KitKat!

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

You also haven't been able to use Google Play or Gmail for over a month either.

You also haven't been able to use Google Play or Gmail for over a month either.
    Err, yes I have! There is absolutely no problem with my device or any Google accounts whatsoever.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks
    Thousand apologies, I wasn't clear enough - you have to disable the notifications within the app.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Thousand apologies, I wasn't clear enough - you have to disable the notifications within the app.

I tried that too. Unfortunately it didn't work. At first i thought it was working, the OTA update icon was in the notification bar for about 45 minutes and then the message popped up on my screen like normal.

I tried that too. Unfortunately it didn't work. At first i thought it was working, the OTA update icon was in the notification bar for about 45 minutes and then the message popped up on my screen like normal.
    Pull down the notification bar. You will see the update notification. Long press sdm green notification..app info will pop up...press it and press force close. It will stop the notification until you restart your phone. If you restart your phone then you will have to repeat the process.

You can also go to settings: application manager: All then look down the list for SDM press it and force close.

the notification pull down bar is the easiest to do if it has prompted you to install the update. It will disappear from your notifications once you force close it.
    Thanked by:

This may just be coincidence, but I got the update notification to stop by letting the update download and clearing the install message by hitting the back button (not deferring to a later time). Then, I turned the phone off and booted to recovery to clear the partition cache. I then re-booted the phone and let the install run when the notification popped up again. The install ran, but I then got a message that the update failed (code 410). That was about 10 days ago, and I haven't seen anything on my phone since regarding the update. I don't know if the cache clear caused the update to fail or if it was just a bad download, but if you want to play a little Russian Roulette...

Quote Originally Posted by grm3 View Post
    I don't know if the cache clear caused the update to fail
    The cache clear wipes out the actual update.zip file (the OTA) so there's nothing to execute when the installer goes to run it, which causes the update to fail.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    The cache clear wipes out the actual update.zip file (the OTA) so there's nothing to execute when the installer goes to run it, which causes the update to fail.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    I actually cleared cache the day after my phone downloaded the OTA lol. I was thinking that it would "prepare" my phone so there wouldn't any problems with the new software. But then i remembered about other OTA's that messed up other phones and decided to see if there were any problems with this one. Phew! Anyway, despite clearing cache, i'm still nervous about "installing" the OTA so i'll i hold off. This way i hope it won't be re-sent to my phone either.

i'm having the same problem as you too. i've been postponing it every 3 hours. So did disabling Google Services Framework help? and did it stop Play Store from running?

Quote Originally Posted by tams123 View Post
    i've been postponing it every 3 hours
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, boot into Recovery mode and wipe the cache, then reboot and let it run, which will result in a failure and it shouldn't bother you again.

Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast