Cracked Screen Glass-Black Screen-Water Damage

ctjaros

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I would like to attempt to repair my sons Verizon Samsung S3, Model #SCH-i535.
The phone has been handled roughly. Im pretty sure it has been dropped at least once. Possibly multiple times.
The screen glass is cracked, but not broken out at any point, and the water damage indicator on the battery and phone are showing their red x's.
I was able to charge the battery, and turn the phone on. The led, back key, and menu key all light. And the boot up sounds can be heard. But the screen remains blank. No sign of life in it at all.
I found a u-tube video which shows how to clean an S3 with water damage to get it working again. I'd like to know if that's a real possibility, or is there something else I could/should try to bring the screen back to life. I have been reading through the forum, and right now, I'm suffering from information overload! Some sound advice would be appreciated.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
if the water indicators are tripped, that's a bad sign. Powering it on may have shortened it's already questionable life span (electrical current and moisture is bad news). That being said, remove the battery now and store the battery and the phone in a sealed container of uncooked rice. Order a screen and digitizer (I'm sure there are tons of posts about the best place to buy them). keep the phone in rice for a few days, and then swap out the damaged parts.

Sadly, you have no way of knowing if the phone was used when the water contact happened (beyond your turning it on to check it out). If the phone was powered on when it got wet, chances are good it's lifespan is now very short. It may continue to work fine (assuming the screen/digitizer are the only problems), but it may just die out on you or experience other wierd problems down the road.

Good luck, hopefully you can bring it back to life.

ctjaros

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, and the link. Looks like I'll need it. Hoping against hope, I opened up the phone, removed and cleaned all removable parts, put it back together, and you can probably guess, I still have a blank screen. So time to order, and keep my fingers crossed that the next try works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc