Can't Open Gallery! SO Frustrated!

griggj12

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if it's because of 4.3 or if its random but my photo gallery is getting on my damn nerves. I can open my camera but if I want to look at my albums or pictures, my phone either goes black or freezes. I didn't update or download anything today.. Just an hour ago, I took a photo and wanted to send it to a friend but now my phone won't let me. x(

I don't want to Factory Reset because I'm afraid I'll lose everything. I've tried battery pulls and force quits.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's because of 4.3 or if its random but my photo gallery is getting on my damn nerves. I can open my camera but if I want to look at my albums or pictures, my phone either goes black or freezes. I didn't update or download anything today.. Just an hour ago, I took a photo and wanted to send it to a friend but now my phone won't let me. x(

I don't want to Factory Reset because I'm afraid I'll lose everything. I've tried battery pulls and force quits.

You should do a full reboot, and if it doesn't work, you can try this:
Settings > Application Manager > All > Photo Gallery > Force Close > Clear Data.

Here is a replacement app for the gallery in the mean time.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.moblynx.galleryics&token=mTxLYaQ1

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to Factory Reset because I'm afraid I'll lose everything.
Anyone who is afraid of losing everything due to a Factory Reset is a good candidate for losing everything when their phone:
- is lost
- is stolen
- gets damaged beyond repair
- fails to boot, etc

You should put measures in place now so that none of those things are an issue for you. Some examples of things to do/use:
Samsung Kies: v3 allows you to backup your contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos (if stored on the internal memory), call logs, (some) TouchWiz settings and apps (I'm not sure about app data)
Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos - allows you to automatically backup your pictures/videos to the cloud (regardless of whether you save them on the internal memory or SD card; 5GB free)
Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup - allows you to backup (most) apps AND app data to an SD card or Google Drive (or other cloud solutions; free, but cloud use requires the paid version)

Of course you can use Dropbox or other cloud solutions to automatically backup your pictures/videos.

Between the various solutions mentioned it should take you no more than an hour or two to restore your phone (or replacement device) to a usable state. If you throw in a 3rd party launcher you can even restore your Home screen layout.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

tigerpierre

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue! Even when people text messaged me photos, my phone would go into a crazy delay in letting me see the picture and then a crazy delay in closing the picture. I downloaded a different app such as Gallery ICS, Fish Bowl Photo, or QuickPic. I used the app and went through all of my photos. I noticed that there were a few that were "blacked" out. I can't even remember what the picture was so I deleted all of the ones that were not visible. Once I had cleared all of those mysterious pictures, I was able to use the Gallery again. I keep one of the other apps just in case it happens again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1